: Idler Motor

tx_boy_ep
12-19-09, 08:56 PM
Well I posted awhile back about my car not passing emissions and I found out that my car was in limp mode and just dumping fuel because the computer burnt out. That was because I took it to a shop and they just turned the screw on my idler motot all the way out and adjusted my timing. Well because of this it burnt out my computer. I had my computer replaced and now I need to change my idler motor. I have one from a junk yard and I was wondering how hard it is to change it. I have a dealer shop manual and it does not look too hard but I do not have a tourqe wrench and it says the bolts need to be tourqed down. Can any one shed some light on this for me?
Thanks,
Tx Boy

carnut
12-19-09, 10:41 PM
I dont know what you're reading, but the idle control motor ( ISC ) is held on with 3 little nuts that are removed with a 1/4 drive ratchet and a deep well socket , no torque involved. You know this because you took it off the wreck. Once installed and after the engine temp is up to normal, you must retract the idle motor shaft with A/C off with your finger pressing firmly on the ISC shaft and QUICKLY disconnect its wiring harness. If you delay unplugging the ISC harness once retracted, you will damage the new computer. Once fully retracted, you adjust the shaft to a .060 clearance to the throttle arm. Then shut car off, reconnect the wiring connector wait 10 seconds and restart the car. All explained much clearer in your factory manual.

tx_boy_ep
12-20-09, 08:40 PM
Ok so when you mean retract the ISC you mean by screwing it or just pulling back? Also do I retract it all the way and then unplug it or can I unplug it and then retract it? That is how my other computer went out because the dumbass shop I took it too did that.
Thanks,
William Peterson

carnut
12-20-09, 11:12 PM
With car running open the throttle slightly Then PRESS and keep pressing on the ISC shaft till it retracts fully, then quickly disconnect its wire connector. The car will be idling very low around 500 RPM. Now with a feeler gauge at .060 thous. insert it between the ISC shaft and the throttle shaft. With a pair of pliers turn the ISC shaft to get a tight dragging fit between the two. Shut car off, count to 10, reconnect harness, restart car. DONE!!! I hope you realize that the idle motor is controlled thru the PROM ( Programmable Read Only Memory chip ) within the computer not the whole computer unit. If the replacement comes with a prom, you're OK. If it requires you to swap your prom into it then you wont solve your problem! Just went thru this last month on mine. I got a PROM from a wreck to fix my ISC function. Must come from same year of car, same engine to work.

tx_boy_ep
12-21-09, 10:43 PM
Yes when my mechanic replaced the computer he switched the prom as well. I was also wondering if I turn the car off but you answered that one as well. I know my ISC is bad because it is throwing the code and I forgot which one but I think it was a 26 or 27 somewhere around there. So I am going to attempt to do this tomorrow when I get out of work. Thanks soooooo much Carnut this is the last thing I need to do to my baby before she can pass emissions. (well I hope) When I get her passed emissions and clean her up than I will post pics of my mint 84 Sedan DeVille with 54K original miles that is two toned from the factory.