: So Who Is Gonna Be the First?

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 07:26 PM
I was just meandering through the TireRack's website looking at different tires and seeing what would work with the V2.

These are expensive but look intriguing...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Pirelli&model=PZero+Corsa+System

And yes, let's include the lawyer speak and remind people they are technically competition tires and will not last long. But I'd love to see what the V2 could do with them. It looks like a great in-between from comps to Max Perf tires...

NeedCTS-v
12-20-09, 12:06 AM
Personally not for me. I'm sure they're great tires but every time I've had Pirelli in the past (3 different times, 3 different cars) they always ended up with cracks in the sidewalls.

This is the only tire brand I've experienced this with. :cookoo:

sefa01
12-20-09, 02:59 PM
Jim, you really do have too much time on your hands.

thebigjimsho
12-20-09, 05:30 PM
Jim, you really do have too much time on your hands.
The snow is cleared, my Dolphins are done and the V is in the garage...

So, yeah...

marktanner
12-26-09, 01:03 AM
The Corsa System is OE on Ferraris like the Challenge Stradale and I think the Scuderia. It was also standard on the '04-05 Porsche GT3 RS, which was not available here. It's standard on a few other cars, too. It's kind of a hybrid tire, half way between a full street tire and an R compound track tire. The tread pattern is very different front to rear, and is also different from the standard Corsa tire, which I don't think is available any more. They have a bit more tread depth than the regular Corsa, so they last longer and are better in the wet than most R compound tires, but are not as sticky as a full R tire, either.

I used the standard Corsas on my 911 and my GT3 for both street and track use. They were not as grippy as the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in the dry, but they were close, and they were vastly superior in the rain. I could run pretty well in the rain unless it was heavy, whereas the Michelin users couldn't go out at all in the rain. The tires were reasonably quiet, and rode well. They lasted pretty well considering the abuse they took. A friend with both the above mentioned Ferraris ran his on the track, and was happy with the tires, except for the prices. They have come down considerably in price, but they are still not cheap.

I never had any problems with my Corsas. While they are not cheap, they are cheaper than having two sets of wheels and tires, and require no transportation to the track, so it could be a great solution for someone who wil track their car occasionally or regularly. I look forward to a review of their performance when someone gives them a try.

dvandentop
12-26-09, 01:46 AM
these are comparable to michelin pilot sport cups, also spendy as hell

thebigjimsho
12-26-09, 11:41 AM
The Corsa System is OE on Ferraris like the Challenge Stradale and I think the Scuderia. It was also standard on the '04-05 Porsche GT3 RS, which was not available here. It's standard on a few other cars, too. It's kind of a hybrid tire, half way between a full street tire and an R compound track tire. The tread pattern is very different front to rear, and is also different from the standard Corsa tire, which I don't think is available any more. They have a bit more tread depth than the regular Corsa, so they last longer and are better in the wet than most R compound tires, but are not as sticky as a full R tire, either.

I used the standard Corsas on my 911 and my GT3 for both street and track use. They were not as grippy as the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in the dry, but they were close, and they were vastly superior in the rain. I could run pretty well in the rain unless it was heavy, whereas the Michelin users couldn't go out at all in the rain. The tires were reasonably quiet, and rode well. They lasted pretty well considering the abuse they took. A friend with both the above mentioned Ferraris ran his on the track, and was happy with the tires, except for the prices. They have come down considerably in price, but they are still not cheap.

I never had any problems with my Corsas. While they are not cheap, they are cheaper than having two sets of wheels and tires, and require no transportation to the track, so it could be a great solution for someone who wil track their car occasionally or regularly. I look forward to a review of their performance when someone gives them a try.
Damn, after all of this I was hoping a purchase and a review was in the near future...

marktanner
12-26-09, 04:16 PM
I have some neck issues so I can't track anymore. Maybe in the future.

thebigjimsho
12-26-09, 06:13 PM
Neck issues are a bitch. Get better, d00d...

thebigjimsho
05-31-11, 10:49 PM
I had bought a couple 285/30 19 Corsas last year on ebay. I also found a 255/35 19 Assymetrico on ebay but have been unable to find the matching tire for that front.

I finally found someone who had a couple 255/35 19 in the Directionale. They supposedly have 70% tread left and I'm hopeful they will suit me well this summer. We shall see...

hulksdaddy
05-31-11, 10:58 PM
Holy Thread Revival, Batman!

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/1sm288batman.gif

thebigjimsho
05-31-11, 11:11 PM
It's a legit revival.

Rabbitctsv
05-31-11, 11:46 PM
for 600+ for 305's they can keep them

DoingOK
06-01-11, 12:11 AM
Michelin Super Sports.......5x the treadwear rating, 1/2 the cost and do very well for a street tire.

thebigjimsho
06-01-11, 12:27 PM
This is for the TRACK.

thebigjimsho
06-01-11, 12:29 PM
And I think I'm going to have to pass on the 255s. The guy had told me about cracks and there were cracks in the sipes. Pretty extensive, too. Being about 4 years old, I wouldn't have thought them to be too old yet, but whatever...

hulksdaddy
06-01-11, 12:44 PM
And I think I'm going to have to pass on the 255s. The guy had told me about cracks and there were cracks in the sipes. Pretty extensive, too. Being about 4 years old, I wouldn't have thought them to be too old yet, but whatever...

Good call. If they were exposed to the elements for those 4 years, going through heat and cold cycles, the rubber can deteriorate quickly.

jb7952
06-01-11, 12:59 PM
Personally not for me. I'm sure they're great tires but every time I've had Pirelli in the past (3 different times, 3 different cars) they always ended up with cracks in the sidewalls.

This is the only tire brand I've experienced this with. :cookoo:

Worked in a garage, granted it was long ago, but I saw Pirellis come in all the time with the sidewalls shredded. They were the only tires that would come in like this, and we'd see it nearly every day. IMO, they're massively overrated.