: LQ4/LQ9 swap info?

Stingroo
12-19-09, 01:51 PM
So. It is official. My car will be towed next Tuesday to the shop.

In discussing it, with my dad and a family friend, IF the head gasket happens to be bad, I'm wondering about the LQ4 and LQ9 that I've seen discussed on this forum many times. Here's my short list of basic questions:

What did these motors come out of?
How much are they to get?
What does a swap involve (total)?
If I provide parts, what would a shop possibly charge for labor?
Is it worth it?

Details on the last question: The car has less than 100,000 miles on it. Honestly, the only thing interior wise it needs is a new driver's seat, and dash (it has the Florida dashboard crack disease).

I feel justified in fixing it for two reasons.

1. It was free. I have $25 invested in the FSM, and that's all. The car looks great. It needs detailing, and maybe some touchup work. Beyond that, it'd make a fun driver for me, and be much more comfortable, and really good for me because I'm a big guy. (No Civic for me, I'd never fit LOL)

2. I have the money. I've been car shopping on the side just to see, and really... to get something even comprable to the car would be $4-5k. I highly doubt it'd cost that much to fix it... so what the heck, why not? Plus I love the car. I really do. So yeah.

Thoughts and such would be much appreciated. :)

jayoldschool
12-19-09, 01:57 PM
Everything you need to know on the LS/LQ swap (http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228454)

Just find out what is wrong with the car, and get it fixed. You can't afford an engine, custom mounts, a wiring harness, and the labor to do everything. Get your car running, save up some money, finish school, and then worry about mods ;)

Stingroo
12-19-09, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the forum link. I'm asking for me, as well as another friend too. He's got an LT1 Camaro, and money to blow. I told him it was possible and he was like "Find out"

Mission accomplished. lol

On a happier note: TO THE SHOP ON MONDAY! I'm sure I'll be posting about it, lol.

jayoldschool
12-19-09, 05:45 PM
It's probably easier with the Camaro since the LS1 was actually installed in that platform.

Good luck with your car, and don't get the work done until you check the estimate with us!

Stingroo
12-19-09, 05:51 PM
Don't worry, I won't! I also told him to give me a list of all the parts required, so I can crossreference with rock auto and TFG. :)

He's actually a pretty honest guy though. He fixed my dad's 929 and when it spun a belt like 2 weeks later, he took it back, corrected the issue, and replaced the belt no charge.

csbuckn
12-20-09, 05:38 PM
what about a performance rebuild of the LT1? New heads, cam, headers...sounds like it may be cheaper.

Stingroo
12-20-09, 07:24 PM
Well, there'd definitely be room. What would you recommend for both cars? (Why ask the question twice, y'know? lol)

csbuckn
12-20-09, 07:50 PM
To keep things more cost affective, take the motor out, rebuild it to your liking and put it back in.

Stingroo
12-20-09, 07:53 PM
Well, I know that. But what would you do?

He's into performance-this-performance-that. He wants to make his car in the 11-12 second range because I guess by where he lives, bracket racing is huge.

Me? I don't care. It's a Cadillac. Quiet, smooth, but still with enough balls to do what it's gotta do once in awhile. I mean, who races a 4500 pound Brougham anyway? lol

jayoldschool
12-20-09, 09:33 PM
To get that thing in the 11-12 second range will require well over 450 RWHP. That means 500 at the crank. And THAT means BIG BIG bucks on the build. Stroker, pistons, heads, cam, springs, rockers, just for starters. It will also require a stronger build on the trans.

Oh, that Brougham is closer to 5000 than 4500... ;)

csbuckn
12-20-09, 09:36 PM
I would probably rebuild the original for your car. The LT1 in the caddy should be enough to get it moving. for your friend, MTS makes swap kit for the camaro to put a caddy 500 in it. The 500 pushed a 79 Deville to under ten seconds so he should be good with a mild performance 500.

Stingroo
12-20-09, 10:22 PM
A 500 powered Camaro? That's just plain EPIC.

*searches youtube to look*

But just HOW powerful were those monsters? Obviously they were underrated from the factory, but holy crap under 10?

jayoldschool
12-20-09, 10:45 PM
Enough torque to change the rotation of the Earth momentarily... :D

95streamer
12-27-09, 06:33 PM
I think 76 500:
190hp
380 lbs torque