: Cooled Seats

Ya Boy
12-19-09, 12:56 AM
Can it be done???

neuronbob
12-19-09, 06:15 AM
From a few threads below yours:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/187636-standard-recaro-swap-progress-good-news.html

tedcmiller
12-19-09, 07:55 AM
I would think that adding cooled seats to the CTS-V would be fairly expensive. Normal cool seats rely on cool air from the AC being piped through to the seats. Since the CTS-V normally does not have cooled seats, adding them in a conventional manner might be difficult since things might be in the way. I would look at Ovionc cooling (a solid state material that heats or cools depending on the direction of current flow through the material) as the least expensive approach to cooled seats in a car that doesn't come with them. Perhaps some company provides inserts or other ways of adding this type of material to car seats.

commander112
12-19-09, 09:01 AM
I would think that adding cooled seats to the CTS-V would be fairly expensive. Normal cool seats rely on cool air from the AC being piped through to the seats. Since the CTS-V normally does not have cooled seats, adding them in a conventional manner might be difficult since things might be in the way. I would look at Ovionc cooling (a solid state material that heats or cools depending on the direction of current flow through the material) as the least expensive approach to cooled seats in a car that doesn't come with them. Perhaps some company provides inserts or other ways of adding this type of material to car seats.

CTS "cooled" seats are not ducted they are simply ventilated. simple fan connected at the seat bottom.

tedcmiller
12-19-09, 09:23 AM
Perhaps "cooled" seats is an exaggeration. Simply blowing cabin temperature air through the seat is not my idea of "cooled" seats. I have standard "non-cooled" seats in my 2009 CTS-V. My wife's 2008 DTS has cooled seats. Maybe you can tell me how hers works.

cbloveday
12-19-09, 10:17 AM
Start by getting under her seat and looking around

tedcmiller
12-19-09, 03:16 PM
Looking in the factory service manual is easier. Commander112 is correct - the CTS and CTS-V with Recaros don't actually have cooled seats. In fact after initial titles, etc. the references are to ventilated seats. There is no duct work. There are only fans to, as the service manual puts it, draw air away from the driver or passenger through the ventilation holes is the seats.

The 2008 DTS, on the other hand, actually has cooling modules and fans. The cooling modules are called TEDs (thermo electric devices) and, based on the descrpition of their operation, appear to be Ovionic devices like those I mentioned in my previous post. There is ductwork in the back of the driver and passenger seats to direct the cool air to the ventilation holes when cooling mode is activated. Otherwise, heating is provided in a manner similar to the CTS and CTS-V, using heating elements in the seat cushion and back.

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 03:34 PM
The V's seats worked fine for me on the long drive home. Whether they'll work well enough in 100 degree weather remains to be seen...

tedcmiller
12-19-09, 11:34 PM
I might mention that the factory service manual shows fans in the back and the bottom (cushion) of the seat. In fact, I believe that there are actually three fans in each seat. The speed of the fans is controlled by the seat temperature as fed back to the controller which determines the settings selected. Note that only Recaro seats have the vents and the fans. Regular CTS or CTS-V seats have only heating.

lmcgrew79
12-21-09, 04:50 AM
my wifes 09 cts4 had vented seats

proexpert
12-21-09, 06:22 AM
My 08 CTS4 has heated and ventilated seats.

tedcmiller
12-21-09, 08:19 PM
The CTS/CTS-V factory service manual shows two wiring diagrams - one for those without the Recaro option and another for those with it. If no Racaros are installed, the ventilation fans are not present. Otherwise, they are. My car does not have Recaros, yet the seats appear to be ventilated. I know from both the service manual and personal experience, that no ventilation fans are present in spite of the seat appearance.

proexpert
12-22-09, 01:40 PM
This is not based on the appearance of the seat, it's based on the fact that the car has the ventilated seats. It's a 2008 CTS with all the options. How can you explain the fact that I can hear the fans running? What about the on/off switch for the ventilated seats, how can you explain that? Lets not discuss the fact that my hot ass is cooled by the ventilation of the seats. And finally, here is the published owners manual page 1-6 for my 2008 CTS describing the seats.

http://www.cadquest.com/pictures/cts/seat-control.jpg

http://www.cadquest.com/pictures/cts/1-6.jpg

I can scan the window sticker for you so you can see additional published evidence that my car has ventilated seats. Let me know if that is necessary. It lists "Heated and Cooled Seats, Driver and Front Passenger" as part of the Premium Luxury Collection, Luxury Level Two Package.

tedcmiller
12-22-09, 02:33 PM
proexpert (let's see, is that a synomym for lots of hot air?),
I haven't questioned anything you said. I simply stated my own observations in my CTS-V. That is, my seats appear to be ventilated but there are no fans. I don't even have the "fan" button" shown in your photo of the controls of your standard CTS. Why are you even reading this forum, much less posting to it, when the information you are providing applies to a non-V CTS?

proexpert
12-22-09, 05:56 PM
Because I was looking/hoping to buy a CTS-V someday. I didn't know owning a CTS-V was a requirement on this forum. Maybe I should look at the other cars available since I am not welcome here. You are the one that mentioned the base CTS, I was just responding to that. Sorry I stepped on your toes. I will not bother you again.

thebigjimsho
12-22-09, 07:01 PM
Perhaps "cooled" seats is an exaggeration. Simply blowing cabin temperature air through the seat is not my idea of "cooled" seats. I have standard "non-cooled" seats in my 2009 CTS-V. My wife's 2008 DTS has cooled seats. Maybe you can tell me how hers works.

Looking in the factory service manual is easier. Commander112 is correct - the CTS and CTS-V with Recaros don't actually have cooled seats. In fact after initial titles, etc. the references are to ventilated seats. There is no duct work. There are only fans to, as the service manual puts it, draw air away from the driver or passenger through the ventilation holes is the seats.

The 2008 DTS, on the other hand, actually has cooling modules and fans. The cooling modules are called TEDs (thermo electric devices) and, based on the descrpition of their operation, appear to be Ovionic devices like those I mentioned in my previous post. There is ductwork in the back of the driver and passenger seats to direct the cool air to the ventilation holes when cooling mode is activated. Otherwise, heating is provided in a manner similar to the CTS and CTS-V, using heating elements in the seat cushion and back.

I might mention that the factory service manual shows fans in the back and the bottom (cushion) of the seat. In fact, I believe that there are actually three fans in each seat. The speed of the fans is controlled by the seat temperature as fed back to the controller which determines the settings selected. Note that only Recaro seats have the vents and the fans. Regular CTS or CTS-V seats have only heating.

You left 3 separate posts each discussing non-V vehicles before proexpert ever said a word on this thread.

I haven't questioned anything you said. I simply stated my own observations in my CTS-V. That is, my seats appear to be ventilated but there are no fans. I don't even have the "fan" button" shown in your photo of the controls of your standard CTS. Why are you even reading this forum, much less posting to it, when the information you are providing applies to a non-V CTS?

I don't know what the hell proexpert ever did to you, but you're looking like one of the biggest dicks I've ever seen on this site...

concorso
12-22-09, 07:05 PM

Note that only Recaro seats have the vents and the fans. Regular CTS or CTS-V seats have only heating.

Im assuming that is why he explained that his V6 CTS had 'cooled' seats.

You mention that your seats appear to be ventilated. If you have the base seats, Im assuming you are talking about the perforations in the leather, as evidence of the ventilation? If thats what youre implying, its incorrect.

I also dont have a V. Shiver me timbres, make me walk the plank.

Koooop
12-23-09, 04:18 PM
:pirate2:

Argh.

JTRATX
12-23-09, 06:01 PM
Probably a PITA. Just crank up the A/C!

CTSV_Rob
12-23-09, 10:05 PM
Just a gadget to me, hell I have probably used the heated seat option less than 10 times. (I know, older V)

marktanner
12-26-09, 01:11 PM
I had the ventilated/cooled seats in my '08 CTS, and now on my '09 CTS-V with Recaros. While they may not have cooling elements or ducting in the seats themselves, they definitely feel cooled. There must be a cooling duct in the floor near the vent fans, because one can feel the addition of the compressor very quickly after turning it on, way before the ambient temperature in the cabin has changed, and the seat surface will feel cooler than ambient as well. I tend to drive as much as possible with the compressor off and use the roof for additional ventilation, and I do use the seat vents in the fall and spring when the temps aren't that high, so I have a lot of experience turning the compressor off and on and feeling the near immediate effect.

The feature seemed to work a bit better in my '08 than with the Recaros. It could just be a variation, but I believe there are three main causes. First, the '08 had perforated leather seat inserts. The holes are basically unobstructed, so have more direct airflow. The cloth on the V, while appearing perforated, still partially covers the holes and diffuses the airflow. Second, the cloth just doesn't get as hot as leather, and breathes much better than even perforated leather, so the temperature differential will not be as high. Third, with the cloth one sweats less and you just don't need the cooling as much. I found myself using the vent feature less last summer than I did for the previous car, just for that reason. Both cars had ebony interiors and the Ultraview roof, so interior temps should have been the same.

I still find it inexplicable that the cooling feature is not standard or available with the base seat, seeing as how it is still available on the regular CTS. Aside from the seat inserts, the seats are the same. I bet it could be added, though it would be a PITA. With the cloth, probably not worth it IMHO.

JFJr
12-26-09, 03:04 PM
I live in hot, humid Florida and use the Recaro cooling/ventilation (whatever) feature often during the summer, particularly after working out at the gym. I can definitely feel the difference when I use that feature, and so can my girlfriend when she uses it, so there you have 2 opinions from our bottom sensory units (Ha Haa!).

sirjames
12-26-09, 03:28 PM
for gods sake, please don't cry proexpert...

thebigjimsho
12-26-09, 06:06 PM
I think you've got the wrong guy...

dvandentop
12-26-09, 06:13 PM

LMAO :histeric::histeric::histeric:

thebigjimsho
12-26-09, 06:18 PM

LMAO :histeric::histeric::histeric:
What has been the issue with proexpert? All I've seen is tedcmiller bitching about manuals...

sirjames
01-02-10, 09:13 AM
Because I was looking/hoping to buy a CTS-V someday. I didn't know owning a CTS-V was a requirement on this forum. Maybe I should look at the other cars available since I am not welcome here. You are the one that mentioned the base CTS, I was just responding to that. Sorry I stepped on your toes. I will not bother you again.

What has been the issue with proexpert? All I've seen is tedcmiller bitching about manuals...

I was just trying to lighten things up. Mr. Expert seemed mighty upset...

tedcmiller
01-02-10, 10:49 PM
I don't recall "bitching" about anything, manuals especially.

thebigjimsho
01-03-10, 01:53 AM
I was just trying to lighten things up. Mr. Expert seemed mighty upset...
If I had someone constantly hounding me after providing good info to the forum because they've got an axe to grind, yeah, I'd be upset too. And obviously, you missed the hypocrisy I pointed out in tedcmiller's posts...

Nice of you to be so blind as to ignore post #16 on this thread...

tedcmiller
01-03-10, 10:32 PM
Some people never make useful comments on these threads. I believe I mentioned them (not by name - I simply said they know who they are) on a different thread.