: How to program a new key fob for 1998 and newer Deville and other Caddy sedans.

CADDYFAT
12-18-09, 11:34 PM
Hey I pulled this from another board. Everyone says scantool here. There is another way! There's also a settings category you can enter. Read about it at the bottom. Looks like you can set some prefernces. I will go out and try it in the morning.

PS if your 10-15 year old Fobs stop working, take them apart as to change the battery and then pull the rubber out. You will see a Ton of crud in there if it has never been cleaned.

The 1998 may have the 4-fob RFA system. The 1997 FSM has a two-fob system, and a fob can be programmed into the car without a scan tool. If yours is similar to the 1997, or even if it isn't, you can try what I have here. The procedures are on pages 9K-4 and 9K-5 of the 1997 FSM. There is an opening paragraph:
PROGRAMMING TRANSMITTER
Before starting this procedure, BOTH transmitters must be present. Failure to program the transmitters to the proper numbers will render the RFA system inoperative. (If the customer uses only one transmitter on the vehicle, use this transmitter as both transmitter 1 and 2. This is not the normal situation.)
A scan tool may also be used to program the RFA system.Note -- a dealer in California once reprogrammed my car for my fob without my wife's fob. They wanted it but I didn't have it. I suppose that they used the scan tool, not the procedure that I give here. I believe that you have the digital instrument cluster, but for generality I'm merging the sections for analog and digital clusters here. They are almost identical; when there is a difference, the digital cluster information will be in square brackets, as in "NO OVERRIDE [NO OVRD]".
RFA Transmitter Programming - Analog [Digital] Clusters
In the following procedure, you will be answering questions with a yes or no response, FAN UP is YES, FAN DOWN is NO.
Press OFF and WARM on climate control panel simultaneously. The IPC will light all telltales then go blank and then enter the Diagnostic Mode.
Use the PASSENGER COOLER [FAN DOWN] button until RFA? is displayed, and then press FAN UP.
Press FAN DOWN until RFA OVERRIDE? is displayed, then press FAN UP.
RFA S00 NO OVERRIDE is displayed, press FAN DOWN.
RFA S01 PROGRAM FOB #1 [NO OVRD RF S00] displayed, press FAN UP.
IPC will show 0 on the right side of the DIC display. Press warmer button on climate control until 99 is displayed. [When PGM FOBI S01 is displayed, press WARM button, 99 will be displayed in left upper corner of IPC just below odometer.] System is now ready to program transmitter.
A. Press and hold the TRUNK button on transmitter.
B. While holding TRUNK button press the LOCK button and hold for one second.
C. Hold both buttons for a total of three seconds. Locks cycle when programming is complete.
D. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering 99 override display, system will default and you must start at step 6 to continue.
To program transmitter number 2, press FAN DOWN button until RF S02 PROGRAM FOB #2 is displayed, press FAN UP.
Follow step number 7.
Press the following keys to EXIT the system. On analog display press AUTO, MODE UP, MODE DOWN or RESET.

There is one last paragraph that you need to have on hand, resetting transmitters. You may need to do this before the fobs will work, and we've had posts here that this needs to be done to get the fobs working again when the car battery has been disconnected for servicing the car.
Synchronizing Transmitters
To synchronize transmitters, perform the following steps:
Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button.
Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release.
If the transmitter was out of synchronization, it will now function properly.

Programming with the Digital Clusters is similar. Differences are that NO OVERRIDE is abbreviated NO OVRD, and RFA S01 PROGRAM FOB #1 is abbreviated PGM FOB1 S01. You exit the system by pressing RECIRC or RESET. RESET is the Reset Data button near the Reset Trip Odometer button.

There is also an Automatic Door Lock (ADL) and Personalization feature. You set that by pressing INFO (the large button in the top center of the console) and RESET and follow the menus. Use RESET to answer YES and Info to answer NO.

diablo69
01-04-10, 03:45 PM
You forgot to mention that you have to stand on your left foot and spin around three times after each command. Then you have to drive to a Cadillac dealer and tell them what you've just done so they can verify that you completed the task correctly.