: gotta vent, car is dead.

Ross L
12-18-09, 09:43 PM
I had, on two occasions, got a check engine light and stabiltrac light. When this would happen the car would seem way down on power, meaning a lot of throttle to get the car moving. I would turn the car off, and presto, no more lights, car ran perfect.Well, I took it to the dealer, they said it needed a new transmission control module or something like that,,, fine. Went back today to have the new part installed. I rode with the tech on the final test drive. He pulled over on the median, held the brake and put the car up against the stall converter 10-15 times, 2-3 seconds each time to "get the transmission temp up to normal". Then he performs a "fast learn" using his programmer to reteach the transmission how to shift. Now, the fun part. Upon finishing, the car won't move. He call's a wrecker and his dealership. The wrecker gets there in less than 5 minutes, lifts the front of the car and we're off. The tech learns the car needs to be off for 2 minutes after the fast learn procedure. Sooo, back at the dealer the car goes into gear fine. Hurray, I leave the dealer, get almost home and a "clunk" goes through the car and all the service lights come back on. I pull over, turn off/restart and still no forward gear. I try it again and I get reverse then drive. I limp about one block home with same symptoms as before and the extra nervousness I have over the tow(hey they advertise damage free towing, must be good, right)
Ross

Razorecko
12-18-09, 09:56 PM
He pulled over on the median, held the brake and put the car up against the stall converter 10-15 times, 2-3 seconds each time to "get the transmission temp up to normal....are you saying he was brake torquing to get it up to temp ?!?

Ross L
12-18-09, 10:06 PM
yes, didn't sound like protocol to me, but what do I know.

cbloveday
12-19-09, 12:26 AM
You must be livid. Back to diagnostics. They may have to tear apart the tranny to confirm all ok there.

Ross L
12-19-09, 10:36 AM
UPDATE: disconnected battery for 5 min(no tools required...cool). Followed procedure in the owners man. and now..... no more warning lights. Car moves under its own power. Still plan on calling an actual Cadillac dealer(only have a chevy dealer local). But feeling a little better, no so sick at my stomach over a CAR:bonkers:. I literally dreamed about driving the car on some winding back roads using the toggle shifters last night.
Ross

cbloveday
12-19-09, 10:53 AM
glad for you. :bouncy: Let us know if the symptom resurfaces.

GMX322V S/C
12-19-09, 11:57 AM
Ross, please be careful when driving the car when it "seems down on power" as you mention in your first post. Another forum member had to have his tranny replaced because for some reason two gears had engaged at once. His car was sluggish, but it was because the massive power of the engine had to overcome the differing ratios and burned out the associated clutch plates. Tranny was replaced under warranty, but the root cause was never found.

Ross L
12-19-09, 01:13 PM
UPDATE to UPDATE:
problem returned. Yea, I've been real careful to not drive the car when it happens. I immediately pull over and restart, thats always turned off the stabilitrack light and the car runs normal(until last night, but I was home already). I think I'll go back to the local dealer monday and give them a chance to make it right. Nearest Caddy dealer is 1.5 hours away.
Ross

12-19-09, 02:52 PM
i guess i need to add this to my list of reasons for my preference for a manual trans (yes, naysayers, they have their own sets of issues).

dvandentop
12-19-09, 03:13 PM
damn sounds like a mess

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 05:13 PM
Definitely not a problem one should live with. If they don't get it done soon, I hope they can buy it back and make you happy...

Ross L
12-19-09, 05:48 PM
Do they really buy back cars? I hope they can fix this one because I feel like I'm just getting to know it:p Surely it's something minor. I'll update monday when I know more.
Ross

OldRoadDawg
12-19-09, 06:58 PM
.... I took it to the dealer, they said it needed a new transmission control module or something like that,,, fine. Went back today to have the new part installed.

.... Still plan on calling an actual Cadillac dealer(only have a chevy dealer local).
:confused::confused:
If I'm understanding this correctly, you're taking your new V to a Chevy dealer for repairs.
Just how does that work?

Gary Wells
12-19-09, 07:35 PM
I would exercise caution when using a General motors Chevrolet dealer to and / or for warranty repair. I have a '02 Z06 and have used my local GM Chevrolet dealer for repair of a water pump under extended GM warranty and they have or had to call GM to verify that they are authorized to do the repair under warranty. In my case a few years back they were authorized to do the repair, but the dealership advised me that they are or were authorized to do warranty repair on a case by case basis. Just my $.02 worth. I hope that everything works out for you on this issue.

Ross L
12-19-09, 07:57 PM
The local Cadillac dealer went out of buisness(and I still wanted a CTS-V). There is a Chevy/Toyota dealer local and they said they were authorized to work on Cadillac. I ASSumed everything would be ok, I mean they are certified. Only other option is call roadside assistance and they will deliver it to the "nearest" cadillac dealer which is in Homer La with a population of about 1000 so you can imagine the size of the dealership(not that small is bad). Any advice?
Ross

Gary Wells
12-19-09, 09:19 PM
I would call the Cadillac assistance # that I have seen posted on here before but I don't remember what the proper name of the office is and explain the situation to them. Maybe Matt Reiland can offers some advice as to whom to call. Sorry to hear Ross, and I understand your situation, I just hope that this does not come back to haunt you. After their mechanic power braked your car until it's tongue was hanging out, I would not take their word for a heck of a lot. Sorry to be pessimistic, but better to be safe than sorry.

MReiland
12-20-09, 08:53 AM
I contacted Ross also. Usually I don't let the service tech do brake-stands in my cars either :rant2:

Ross L
12-20-09, 09:53 AM
I really want to give them one more chance to make it right. I plan on staying at the dealership. No more brake stands! I asked him about it when he did it. I said "isn't this hard on the converter and clutches?!" He said "no, as long as you don't keep the rpms up" What I need to know from other techs is, "is brake standing taught or listed in the service manual as a way to increase transmission temp?" I don't want to call Cadillac and complain just for them to say "thats an accecptable way to increase transmission temp, he was following the book". I really don't want to watch the car being loaded onto a flatbed and hauled off to the nearest dealership which is 1 hour away and usually has about 10 cars on the lot(probably more cars behind the shop ,that have been sitting there for years, than infront of it):eek:
I'll at least call the Cadillac assistance number. Thanks for all the help.
Ross

Gary Wells
12-20-09, 12:29 PM
I really want to give them one more chance to make it right. I plan on staying at the dealership. No more brake stands! I asked him about it when he did it. I said "isn't this hard on the converter and clutches?!" He said "no, as long as you don't keep the rpms up" What I need to know from other techs is, "is brake standing taught or listed in the service manual as a way to increase transmission temp?" I don't want to call Cadillac and complain just for them to say "thats an accecptable way to increase transmission temp, he was following the book". I really don't want to watch the car being loaded onto a flatbed and hauled off to the nearest dealership which is 1 hour away and usually has about 10 cars on the lot(probably more cars behind the shop ,that have been sitting there for years, than infront of it):eek:
I'll at least call the Cadillac assistance number. Thanks for all the help.
Ross
Sorry, Ross, as usual my intent of my post did not match my writing. I only meant that you should contact GM to verify that the particular Chevy dealership is qualified to diagnose and possibly repair your problem. I did not mean to call and complain.

Ross L
12-21-09, 11:30 AM
UPDATE of UPDATE to UPDATE:
good news, the shift linkage was 3/8" of an inch out of adjustment. It would allow you to pull down on the shifter(in drive) and it would select another gear(or something like that). Drove it with the tech, used the paddle buttons, and selected back and fourth between sport and drive. Perfect. Before, it wasn't allowing the paddle shifter function and in "drive" it would still drop down to first gear. Hopefully, the last of the issues.... Thansk for all the input.
Ross

Gary Wells
12-21-09, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear that it all got straightened out, Ross.

RightTurn
12-21-09, 12:07 PM
I hope it's finally fixed, Ross. What a bummer for you. I'm pretty sure many more Cadillac drivers will be faced with the "who will fix it" problem as GM continues to close dealerships across the country. :(

Krug Ford
12-21-09, 09:03 PM
where did you buy the car? did they work on it prior to you buying it?

Ross L
12-21-09, 11:53 PM
Scott, no work that I know of but we bought it used(2700 miles) so who knows. We drove it several times today and everything was perfect. Hopefully no more issues for a long time.:)
Ross