: Standard---> Recaro swap in progress. Good News Bad News...

commander112
12-18-09, 02:19 PM
Well today we started the swap. I am happy to report that the seat mounts into the same locations using the same plugins for the seat operations and the heat works fine (I have not gotten to changing out the controller for cooling feature yet). That is the good news.
Now the bad news. The seat belt pretensioner and retractor needs to be changed out. The pretensioner is located on the standard seat at the belt attachment point. With the Recaro the pretensioner is located in the B pillar with the retractor.
There is another change that is occuring to me as I type this also. Under the seat is a wiring connector block that is yellow in color. I am going to assume that this is all part of the safety system. With the stock seats there are six wires going through the connector. With the Recaro's there are only four wires running through the connector. I must assume that the other two wires are for the pretensioner that is now in the B pillar. Now GM tells me that the pretensioner and retractor is on backorder and currently unavailable. Therefore, I do not want to open up the B pillar yet. Can anyone with a standard seated car confirm if there is an empty connector in the B pillar for the pretensioner on the upgraded car? Or do you guys concur with my thoughts that the wiring will need to be brought over from under the seat to the B pillar for the new pretensioner.

BacDoc
12-18-09, 02:28 PM
You better disconect the battery when you start messing with those under seat connections. I saw a mechanic go through the back window of a Monte Carlo when he plugged the air bag sensor back in once. BOOOM! Guy's head hit the back glass and he was standing outside the car leaning in. Not sure how he survived.

dvandentop
12-18-09, 02:30 PM
doent sound like too big of issues. also. i am sure they could get u that part off the parts car prob.

let me know what you find out as i am sure it will help lots of others in the future

commander112
12-18-09, 02:57 PM
doent sound like too big of issues. also. i am sure they could get u that part off the parts car prob.

let me know what you find out as i am sure it will help lots of others in the future

Parts car is crushed already.:eek:. Figured you'd like to see a picture.

cbloveday
12-18-09, 03:13 PM
looking good!

dvandentop
12-18-09, 05:48 PM
very nice. let me know what you find out for how much the other parts are for the swap.

commander112
12-18-09, 06:40 PM
Seat belts and tensioners are $300 and the seat temp controller (I still need to check this out better) is between 4 and 5 hundred.

undertaker
12-18-09, 10:25 PM
bright yellow connectors signify airbags.......be very cautious and disconnect the battery when dealing with them....as has been said earlier. I know my damn suburban has something stupid like 10 or 12 airbags......I'd think for another 15-20K the caddy is gonna have just as many in a smaller car.....don't even wanna imagine what that bill would be if you somehow set them all off. Besides the obvious safety issues of popping them outside of an impact.

chopmeat
12-18-09, 10:48 PM
Why would ya do that?
Good luck, but I don't get it.

Krug Ford
12-19-09, 10:39 AM
Mark is in here now looking at the connectors and seat belt stuff to do the swap to complete.

commander112
12-19-09, 12:28 PM
I can now report back the answers to the board. The seats I bought from Schram Auto Parts here in Detroit must be either preproduction or out of a show car. They are not built like the production seats. All of what I have written above is incorrect. Actual production seats will swap in with NO adjustments needed. The seats I have do not have pretensioners built into the bases and will require rebuilding to accomodate the pretensioners. I have the exploded parts diagram and will need to find out what parts are needed to make the change over. That said, I hope I can make these seats work but am not sure if I can until I can get a good look at things. I am writing this to let others know on the board that Schram also has a set of light grey Recaro's that may show up on Ebay that are the same build as my seats. DO NOT BUY THEM! I am afraid that I may have not have any recourse should they not be able to be rebuilt properly.

radix
12-20-09, 12:45 AM
Please be careful in deciding if these can be used. Now that you know they are not production validated and released OEM parts - they may have other less visible non-production content.

Seats are part of a vehicles safety and crash system - these parts may have been made for packaging or manufacturing trial runs -for "fit" not "function". Normally such parts are marked and carefully destroyed to prevent anyone from using them in unintended ways - but with the problems and confusion of the last year - who knows ?

If these seats fail in a crash, you could be badly injured or worse. They very well may be fine to use, but no one is going to be able to tell you that without knowing the real story behind these units - and without that story you should not be risking using these seats. If you sell the car with these in it and someone is hurt, you are potentially liable.

This is the tact you should use with the vendor you got them from - they are very open to liability for selling you parts that may well be compromised - You deserve some documentation stating these are safe validated parts - can they produce it ?

vseries
12-20-09, 01:23 AM
I can now report back the answers to the board. The seats I bought from Schram Auto Parts here in Detroit must be either preproduction or out of a show car. They are not built like the production seats. All of what I have written above is incorrect. Actual production seats will swap in with NO adjustments needed. The seats I have do not have pretensioners built into the bases and will require rebuilding to accomodate the pretensioners. I have the exploded parts diagram and will need to find out what parts are needed to make the change over. That said, I hope I can make these seats work but am not sure if I can until I can get a good look at things. I am writing this to let others know on the board that Schram also has a set of light grey Recaro's that may show up on Ebay that are the same build as my seats. DO NOT BUY THEM! I am afraid that I may have not have any recourse should they not be able to be rebuilt properly.

does that mean GM sent some of the original V's that were used for autoshows to the scrapper!!:eek:

commander112
12-20-09, 07:53 AM
does that mean GM sent some of the original V's that were used for autoshows to the scrapper!!:eek:

Common practice among manufacturers. They strip off the valuable stuff (drivetrain, wheels and interior) and scrap the rest.

dvandentop
12-20-09, 02:08 PM
atleast you are local to a good supply of v's i cant imagine trying to figure that out here in south dakota if i would have got these :eek:

Krug Ford
12-21-09, 09:58 AM
Let me know when you get the other parts.

commander112
12-21-09, 06:02 PM
I want to take a moment to publically say that Ryan in the Superior Cadillac parts department went out of his way to help with gathering information and finding availability of the needed parts to convert the seats over. I would say that if anyone is looking for factory Cadillac parts for their ride Superior will go the extra mile to assist. In the end though, I am going to pull the seat out of the car and return these preproduction seats. Schram did provide a VIN on the invoice and it does show that it came from a 2008 CTS (In other words a preproduction V). In looking over the seat closely even to add the needed pretensioner I would have to drill and tap the mounting area as well as add the wiring to the wire harness plus add the $640 in parts that are required which would take some number of days or weeks to get in. All adding up to more than I bargained for.

dvandentop
12-21-09, 08:44 PM
atleast Schram is manning up and taking these back.

so how much with the parts you were going to have to buy would you have into them total??

vseries
02-07-10, 12:33 AM
DId you end up completing this project?
How much do all the parts cost to do it?

Jpjr
02-07-10, 01:19 AM
I didn't get the recaro option because I couldn't afford it. I just couldn't justify paying $3,000 more for a set of seats. Depending on how cheap they might be aftermarket I would consider them, so glad someone is paving the way so to speak.

dvandentop
02-07-10, 02:10 AM
the seats the orignal post got did not work out due to they were pre production seats and had alot of missing stuff + would have to be modified to work in the v

vseries
02-07-10, 11:50 AM
yeah i saw that but was wondering if maybe he got his hands on another set or bought them new from the dealer. I am trying to figure out the cost while looking for a vehicle incase i need to add them later.

Nutz
02-07-10, 12:30 PM
Speaking of seats, the new V-Coupe rear arm rest looks to be much bigger.

dvandentop
02-07-10, 01:16 PM
no luck with getting them from the dealer.

commander112
02-07-10, 02:43 PM
yeah i saw that but was wondering if maybe he got his hands on another set or bought them new from the dealer. I am trying to figure out the cost while looking for a vehicle incase i need to add them later.

Have not found a set of production seats yet. As said above, you cannot get them from the parts counter and if you could they would be very expensive. Have a friend of a friend that works at Recaro looking too.

GMX322V S/C
02-07-10, 03:01 PM
Just curious, for performance, have you considered the Recaro Ergomed ES? Understand if you want the integrated look and functions also though.

commander112
02-07-10, 11:09 PM
Just curious, for performance, have you considered the Recaro Ergomed ES? Understand if you want the integrated look and functions also though.

Plugging in anything other than the factory items will set off all kinds of cels. You need factory pretensioners and airbags to not set off the airbag sensors.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-01-12, 08:45 AM
Where did you get your Recaro seats, and how much did they cost, plus installation? Thanks.

Jpjr
01-02-12, 06:56 PM
Maybe it's because this is an enthusiast board, but I am constantly surprised by how many of you paid an extra $3,000 for the recaros. Not only are they significantly less comfortable than the stockers (unanimously concluded by wives and disputed only by certain male Recaro owners under 6' and 180lbs.), but they are also unbelievably expense. They aren't just $3,000. They are $3,000 *more* than the stockers. What does that make them $5500 seats? Any one of us that has purchased a V has some money, but it doesn't make it easier to justify. A few hours on the track simply doesn't make it worth it. In a dedicated sports car I would think differently.

thebigjimsho
01-02-12, 08:28 PM
I absolutely disagree. That support means long-distance comfort. I've rented CTSs when I've left my V at Lindsay for service. The base seats are awful in comparison. No lateral support, no thigh support. Just awful.

A couple of months ago, I pulled a lower back muscle pretty badly. Driving a Town Car all day was fine as I'm in and out enough to not stiffen up too badly. But the seats did not help. When I got into my V, the support of the seats actually helped to alleviate my back pain. I would get out of the V feeling better than when I got in.

And the track days are fun not sliding around like I did in my V1. Well worth the $$$...

----------

Plus, the base seats just look cheap. Really low brow...

hulksdaddy
01-02-12, 10:02 PM
Holy zombie thread Batman! http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/GIFs/Resident_Zombie_by_monolistic-1.gif

thebigjimsho
01-03-12, 06:34 PM
Oh, and I have seen MANY Recaro supporters who are well over 6' 180lbs...like myself...