: New 6x9"s only Bass????

hcaddy95
12-18-09, 02:30 AM
I replaced my 6x9 speakers in the rear deck and i noticed only bass is coming out of them. Is this normal or the speakers i bought defective. there 3 way 400 watt 4 ohm

Its a 95 deville 4900

9ine3reefleet
12-18-09, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=hcaddy95;2094264]I replaced my 6x9 speakers in the rear deck and i noticed only bass is coming out of them. Is this normal or the speakers i bought defective. there 3 way 400 watt 4 ohm

Its a 95 deville 4900[/QUOTE

If they are 3-way speakers then you Should hear the highs coming through too. I am guessing you have played with the settings from the cd player, right.

keelerdr
12-29-09, 10:37 AM
Hello,

I did the same thing. The 6x9's on the rear deck are listed as "subwoofers" in the wiring diagram. The signal being sent to them is only low frequency's. So your new 3-way speakers don't have any mids or highs for the tweeters to play. You would need a signal summing device to combine the signal from the door speakers (mids and highs only) with the rear deck speakers (lows only) to get a full range signal.

This is not easily done since most signal summing devices also convert the signal to line-level (non-amplified) from speaker-level (amplified). You would need an after-market amp to essentially re-amplify the sound after the signal summing device has combined the signal and converted it to line-level. Some aftermarket amps can combine 2 channels and accept speaker-level inputs but you would still need an aftermarket amp and there are some other minor complications on top of the fact that your rear speakers would be louder than the rest. Hope this helps...