: Trunk Pull Down on the Fritz!!

ft96
12-17-09, 08:25 PM
Ok, so from what i've read around the internet this seems to be a fairly common headache on Cadillacs.
My trunk pull down didn't work when I bought my 96 Fleetwood a few months ago, didn't really see it as a problem. I could still shut my trunk even if I had to slam it a few times to get the job down.
Soon after I noticed that inside my trunk was getting wet when it rained. The weather stripping looked fine so I assumed that the lid wasn't making a good enough seal when it latched.
Now all of a sudden my lid refuses to latch at all no matter how I try and shut it. So its bungie-corded down for the time being, with all the snow and wetness able to get in freely.

Now does anyone know where I should go from here? I made sure the fuse was good, so its not that, I figure that its most likely the motor but could it be the electric latch mechanism too?
I see replacement motors for sale on the ebay and such sites, but most of them are just the motor and not the latch. Is there anyway to determine which one is busted?

Thanks for any advice.......

HUF
12-17-09, 10:19 PM
If the motor was still connected, the chances are it moved just a little bit up. Remove the pull down mechanism, adjust it with hand, put it back DO NOT connect it to the harness. Do not slam, just close it as you would close a regular trunk. You still should be able to open the trunk with your remote since it is a different device.

Old Fleetwood
12-21-09, 02:23 AM
This came up a while back, also, when I took my wife's bro to the airport and the jackass porter there really slammed the trunk hard.
That's when I found out that -and I hope my memory holds - that the same unit used in the Fleetwood - is the same one used in Lincolns and Pontiacs.
So a trip to the friendly junkyard might be in order. :D

jey
12-21-09, 09:48 PM
Yes, I replaced mine with one from a Lincoln Town Car, it was an easy and quick fix at the junkyard.

9ine3reefleet
12-23-09, 03:24 AM
Yes, I replaced mine with one from a Lincoln Town Car, it was an easy and quick fix at the junkyard.

Can you tell me EXACTLY what part would need to be taken off. Im having the same issue

jey
12-24-09, 02:27 PM
Grab the entire latch mechanism, it's like 3 bolts attaching it to the back panel of the trunk

9ine3reefleet
12-27-09, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=jey;2100283]Grab the entire latch mechanism, it's like 3 bolts attaching it to the back panel of the trunk[/QUOTE

Thanks, I should be able to make it to junkyard tomorrow.