: Nav Screen Too Dark

Country
12-17-09, 04:36 PM
Does anyone else ever have this problem? I have the dash lights all the way up and it's still sometimes not bright enough. My lights are on auto and I notice it the most around dusk just before the headlights turn on.

It's not terrible, but I wish it were a bit brighter.

wait4me
12-17-09, 04:40 PM
just push the day button on the top right.

thebigjimsho
12-17-09, 04:46 PM
I do wish you could change background colors to black for night use...

wfo
12-17-09, 05:38 PM
It might be in your lighting settings.

Like wait4me says...check your day/night/auto Nav light adjustment button. It's it's a got the moon/daylight star icon.

Z06ified
12-17-09, 06:12 PM
There are settings for the NAV display brightness and contrast. I think you can access it by hitting the Config button, and it's one of the tabs at the top (can't remember which one).

zyx5432
12-17-09, 09:15 PM
Also, when cold outside the LCD can take a few minutes to warm up and reach normal display brightness, or at least that is what I have observed in my last three cars.

Caroutisine
12-17-09, 10:43 PM
Yes, the nav screen can be very dim when it's cold, and I think it's normal when the temp is below freezing. My STS was like this in the winter for the three years I owned it.

Country
12-18-09, 11:45 AM
Like wait4me says...check your day/night/auto Nav light adjustment button. It's it's a got the moon/daylight star icon.

Thanks! I was wondering what that button was for. That's why I love this site!

thebigjimsho
12-18-09, 02:40 PM

Thanks! I was wondering what that button was for. That's why I love this site!
You need to start pushing buttons. I love pushing buttons... :bouncy:

dqw1
12-18-09, 02:54 PM
You need to start pushing buttons. I love pushing buttons... :bouncy:
I push buttons until I get in over my head, then I read the instructions.

zyx5432
12-18-09, 03:42 PM
i push buttons until i get in over my head, then i read the instructions.

+1 :d

thebigjimsho
12-18-09, 08:25 PM
you goofy basterds...

tedcmiller
12-19-09, 08:45 AM
All LCDs are dimmer after they have been powered off for a while. This includes both cars, computer monitors, and TVs, It takes a few minutes for an LCD to warm up to normal operating temperature - longer if the ambient temperature is very low.

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 03:51 PM
Personally, with the lighter colors of the nav, I feel like it will never be to my liking. If it's dark enough not to blind, it feels muted and bland. If it's bright, it's too distracting. I would love black backgrounds at night with the brightness up...

Ah well, I need this car to have a few imperfections to really love it eventually...

tedcmiller
12-19-09, 04:22 PM
I don't like black backgrounds for night viewing. I have the GPS on both cars and my motorcycle set for daytime background with reduced brightness at night.

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 04:51 PM
I don't like black backgrounds for night viewing. I have the GPS on both cars and my motorcycle set for daytime background with reduced brightness at night.
Just doesn't work for me.

marktanner
12-26-09, 12:58 AM
My car does this at times, too. My '08 CTS had a similar affliction, and a computer update helped, but didn't completely eliminate it. My V, which was built in early March '09, was fine for the first five months, then all of a sudden the screen became much dimmer at night. It is a variable condition, and it does happen even when it's warm. Sometimes it's too dim to read it, and other times it's okay, even at dusk. I turned the brightness up all the way, which helped a bit, but now it's brighter than I like during the day. If I switch to Night from Auto, it helps a bit also. It's not supposed to vary like that, and for the first five months it was perfect at the default setting, so it's definitely a change.

There is a TSB for cars built before the end of March that's supposed to fix this and certain other issues with the NAV and other systems. It was listed in the thread on Daylight Savings Time. The dealer ordered the disc three weeks ago, but it still hasn't arrived, and the factory is closed for Xmas, so they don't expect it until early January. It apparently takes three plus hours to install, while the car is idling, so they will give me a car for a day to do the update. I'll post again after the update, to notify everyone if this fixes the problem.

JFJr
12-26-09, 10:36 AM
There is a TSB for cars built before the end of March that's supposed to fix this and certain other issues with the NAV and other systems. It was listed in the thread on Daylight Savings Time. The dealer ordered the disc three weeks ago, but it still hasn't arrived, and the factory is closed for Xmas, so they don't expect it until early January. It apparently takes three plus hours to install, while the car is idling, so they will give me a car for a day to do the update. I'll post again after the update, to notify everyone if this fixes the problem.Mark, if it's the same TSB and disc I've been considering to fix some minor radio/nav issues, watch out. You will lose your address book, radio preset and other nav data in the process. See my last post on the thread "Helping the Customer." Good luck!

Jud

marktanner
12-26-09, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I saw the post after I posted. Thanks for the warning. Still, my unit has done a number of weird things, and I don't have that many entries in the address book, so I think it will be worth it in the long run. I'll have to make a list of all of my entries manually. It's too bad they can't download and then reload the data. Plus, it's crazy that the engine has to be on the whole time, and that it takes so long to input in the first place.

JFJr
12-26-09, 05:11 PM
Mark, for what it's worth, my dealership's shop said that they thought it was possible to save the data to a thumbdrive. I'll be back in touch with them next month and will PM you if anything positive develops.

marktanner
12-26-09, 06:26 PM
Thank you, that would be very helpful.