: how to disable speed limiter?

faxafoli
12-17-09, 04:36 PM
hi. what is the best way to disable the speed limiter on 1995 cadillac fleetwood?
i can only reach 108 mph

Cadillacboy
12-17-09, 06:59 PM
PCM tune up ...Being '95 you have OBDI and it makes even easier to OBD II . BTW, beware of tires because when you will go faster your tires may be open to any kinda danger like puncture .

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-17-09, 07:18 PM
:yeah: Don't go faster than what your tires are rated at. Also remember that you are driving a friggin sled. It takes a long time to slow down from that speed so be safe. My Brougham tops out at 109. There is no speed limited or rev limiter, it just runs out of oomph. I have had the Lincoln up to 130ish (speedo stops at 90 so had to figure it out based on RPM and gear ratios) and it is a little nerve racking going that fast in a car with a luxury suspension. Every little bump and dip is horribly magnified.

carnut
12-17-09, 11:53 PM
Speed limiters are there because the tire is rated from the factory to approx 110 MPH then they SHRED! Raising top speed requires a higher speed rated tire be installed as well. Let us know when you're on the road at anything above 85 so we can stay home!!

csbuckn
12-18-09, 02:46 AM
Ive had mine to 116 when I first put the motor in, it was still hungry too. My good friend in the backseat warned me of the tires so I slowed down. For some reason, I thought the limiter was in the tranny. You delete it from the computer? What does the governor in the tranny do?

Old Fleetwood
12-21-09, 02:15 AM
Two summers ago, when we were "commuting" from Hartford to Walpole, MA during the prep time for eye surgery on one of our dogs, we had an early morning appointment.
At that time I had moved between packs of vehicles and rounded a sweeping bend to see an eighteen wheeler weaving all over the road.
Not wanting to wait for the jerk to crash and hold me up for the next few hours as they cleaned up the wreckage, I zigged when he zagged.
He went almost off the road to the right shoulder and I went far left and floored it.
I didn't even look at the dash until well past the idiot whose trailer wheels were showing daylight beneath for an instant as I passed him.
But when I DID look down, along with my wife, the three digits read 122 !
I just eased off the go pedal slowly, amazed at how the motor had continued to pull and showed no sign of backing off even at that speed.
Most of you know that I got this car on eBAY, out of Texas some years back so I wonder if the original owner had diddled with the computer to let the Fleetwood blow past the limiter so easily on the wide open spaces of the Lone Star State.
BTW, that 122 is four miles per hour beyond the rating of my tires but the guys at the tire shop said that unless I had kept up that speed for a long time or it was a hot day, that I shouldn't worry too much.
Since it was a cool 60 degrees that morning, I felt a bit better about the whole thing.
But you can bet your whatevers, it's the last time three digits will ever show on the speedometer with me driving this Fleetwood !

faxafoli
12-31-09, 02:29 PM
thanks guys :)

Aron9000
01-02-10, 04:20 AM
I've had my 1991 up to 105mph, it took a while to get there, but it still felt pretty damn solid doing that type of speed. Although you could really feel the physics of brick like aerodynamics and a motor with zero top end power working against you.

My 1999 Camaro Z28 on the other hand was a freaking monster. Even though it was an automatic, it still pulled like mad from 60-150mph. Had the speedo buried and hit the rev limiter at its 160mph top speed. I was shocked at how fast that car accelerated when it shifted into 3rd, its almost like it gained another 50hp. Although I will say you don't realize how fast 160mph is until you hit the brakes and it takes 1/2 a mile to stop the damn car.