: SAFETY FIRST: Jack stands...

ponyboyt
12-17-09, 10:55 AM
So my Deville rolled off the jack stands last night when changing the CV shaft. 5 minutes earlier while laying under the car i was thinking "man it would suck if this thing fell on me. Seriously.

It rolled back when i was beside the car trying to get the axle nut off with a bar.

Always make sure you use proper jack stands, with good notches or some other form of suppoert at the tops of the stands! This i learned last night...

One of the stands had lips on top but they were bent flat. We no longer use that stand. It had no suport whatsoever for holding the car in place.

I guess the car is ok, split the bottom of the drivers side front bumper (it was cracked anyway) and it broke the fog light right off.

I had the ebrake on, but it had released on its own at some point when turning the key forward and moving the shifter. Always double check to see that it is on i guess!

EcSTSatic
12-17-09, 11:07 AM
Minimize the ability to roll, block the wheels that are still on the ground too.
Glad you weren't maimed or killed!

"G$"
12-17-09, 11:12 AM
a guy near me got killed that way recently, within the last 2 months, poor guy.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-17-09, 11:32 AM
I've had some close calls as well. The scariest thing to have to do is put a car up on 4 stands, especially a large one like my Lincoln. I do not like doing that at all.

Krashed989
12-17-09, 02:11 PM
That's why I still believe that this is the best backyard way of removing that nut... You do it first thing with the car still on the ground, that way it can't fall.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/Krashed989/100_1710.jpg

EcSTSatic
12-17-09, 03:20 PM
That's why I still believe that this is the best backyard way of removing that nut... You do it first thing with the car still on the ground, that way it can't fall.

Never tried that technique but you should definitely always loosen the axle nuts with WOW (weight on wheels). It's safer and it gives you more holding power.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-17-09, 06:36 PM
My front wheel nuts are finger tight, don't even need a socket. RWD win right there. :)

bjv
12-17-09, 11:00 PM
I trust my big Sears jack more than I do my stands. I normally jack up the car, put the stands under it, let the car down until a little weight is on the stands, and then leave the jack under there too. I also carefully chock the wheels so the car can't roll, but my driveway is pretty flat anyway.

I won't do that "up on 4 stands" thing at my house. I go to my dad's shop and use his lift.