: Viper 5901 car alarm

9ine3reefleet
12-16-09, 10:50 PM
Enthusiasts, what car alarm systems do you use. Aftermarket, that is. I was looking at the Viper 5901 for my car considering it was broken into last week. Anybody know about this system and if not do yal have any other recommendations.

jmf1964
12-18-09, 03:48 PM
I've used vipers in several of my cars never had a problem with any of them. Be prepared to pay a little extra your car will probably need an
extra module so that the alarm can be installed without compromising the factory theft system.

2000CadillacSTS
12-18-09, 04:45 PM
I have this alarm in my 2000 Cadillac STS. Overall it provides excellent security and remote start. My only pet peeve and its a big one is that the remote must be charged and does not have replaceable batteries. If you forget to charge it and are out somewhere you will be stranded since the alarm also includes a starter kill. Even if you unlock your door with the key the car will not start without a response from the remote. I have been stranded twice because of it.

eyekandyboats.inc
12-20-09, 01:55 AM
that sounds bunk. its possible your installer did a bad job. NO car or after market acc. should do that even when you have the key. i wouldnt let a system like that be installed in my car if that was the case. that isnt acceptable for a manufaturer to produce a product like that:tisk:

I have this alarm in my 2000 Cadillac STS. Overall it provides excellent security and remote start. My only pet peeve and its a big one is that the remote must be charged and does not have replaceable batteries. If you forget to charge it and are out somewhere you will be stranded since the alarm also includes a starter kill. Even if you unlock your door with the key the car will not start without a response from the remote. I have been stranded twice because of it.

still_walkin
12-21-09, 04:48 AM
I have it in my 93 sdv and I luv it however I agree the wireless remote does kill batteries a lot. U can chirp it a mile away and works with no problems. I don't have the remote start wired up I'm kinda old school with keys. But its worth the money

9ine3reefleet
12-21-09, 07:34 PM
I was expecting to pay more for the install, because it seems like I always have to with anything with this ca. Thanks for the reviews fellas. Will be getting it for Christmas.

2000CadillacSTS
12-21-09, 07:42 PM
that sounds bunk. its possible your installer did a bad job. NO car or after market acc. should do that even when you have the key. i wouldnt let a system like that be installed in my car if that was the case. that isnt acceptable for a manufaturer to produce a product like that:tisk:

Im not sure you understand what a starter kill is. The alarm is installed correctly. A starter kill disables your ignition in the event of theft or car jacking. It is supposed to do this. If someone is able to bypass the factory security on your car they still wont be able to start it unless there is a response of "unlock" from the remote.