Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Just an alignment problem or more??

962 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MarkusGarvey13 
#1 · (Edited)
How's it going. 98% of my driving is local driving... I mean I work in town and really don't do much highway driving unless going to mall or shore or something of that nature which even then is limited cuz i hardly ever drive.. (06 with only 12k).. Anyway i really haven't taken my truck at higher speeds lately..But when i did take her out on the highway right around 60mph the steering wheel start to shake pretty bad.. i mean like if i take my hand off of it you visibly see it going back and forth... i haven't had much time to play with it but its mostly 60mph and above.. the weird thing is though that at slower speeds the car is pretty straight as far as letting the steering wheel go.. it stay straight down the lane which makes me kind of think its not the alignment.. i checked the tire pressures and they all read right in the same area of 36-38... anyway just wonder if anyone has any ideas.. i do have the truck dropped 2/3 and i have 22's...

#2 ·
If I had to guess, one of your 22's is not perfectly balanced. Shouldn't cost that much to have them checked/re-balanced.

I don't think it's your alignment either.

If the vibration happens when you are not using your brakes, I don't think it is brake related (rotors warped).

I really think it's just your wheels/tires are no longer in balance. Just takes one. Maybe your weights on one of the wheels fell off.

---

#3 ·
I have an odd shake in the steering wheel also.....sometimes it is non-existent.Same speed same load same temp and the shake is just not there.It's not bad but the wheel will move left to right in the 30mph to 60mph range.

I think mine is the steering knuckle thing.

#5 ·
She's trying to tell you that you're not a good enough driver you're driving too damn fast...But no, seriously, it sounds like steering stabilizer to me. It's basically just a shock absorber that is attached steering gear. If you know how a gyroscope works, any imbalance or maybe an alignment problem will be multiplied as you go faster it and it basically arrests that energy. A balance issue will usually come and go steering stabilizer issue will get worse as you go faster. You could also have a separated tire. Steering stabilizer will not be able help you there. Look at your front tires and look for bubbles or high spots in the tire or sidewalls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.