: No Start, FUEL CAP light is on...

DriveMeCrazy
12-16-09, 12:10 PM
OK, this is a strange one. I went to leave for work this morning and the Cat wouldn't start. Noticed that when I turn the key and wait for the warning lights to go out, the Check Engine and Fuel Cap lights stay on. Obviously I know the Check Engine light should be on, but is the fuel cap light supposed to? Also, when I'm cranking the engine, the fuel cap light flashes? Any hints?

Jea3cd
12-16-09, 01:15 PM
Not sure on this, but the fuel cap should have anything to do with the running condition of the car. Is the fuel pump turning on? Have someone try starting it, while you hit the gas tank a few times, to give the fuel pump a vibration. That is what is wrong with my 00 Cat at the moment.

I'll look at my dash to see if I have a fuel cap light or not.

elvin315
12-16-09, 04:55 PM
Not sure on this, but the fuel cap should have anything to do with the running condition of the car.

Maybe it does. When I had my CPS fail last year I searched the archives and found a reference to the Fuel Cap Alarm being related to the CPS. At that time I had been seeing the FCA intermittently for at least 6 months. I can't say for sure but if you get the Fuel Cap Alarm it could be a warning sign of a future CPS failure.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/51395-99-catera-fuel-cap-warning-light.html

DriveMeCrazy
12-16-09, 05:27 PM
Ok, so I replaced the fuel pump relay just in case, no go. I will order a new CPS and try that. It's had strange starting fits in the past, but this is the worst. Probably was just a sign telling me to change that part all along.

elvin315
12-16-09, 07:15 PM
Ok, so I replaced the fuel pump relay just in case, no go. I will order a new CPS and try that. It's had strange starting fits in the past, but this is the worst. Probably was just a sign telling me to change that part all along.

One other thing it could be. The key contains a transponder chip that allows the engine to start. It may need replacement. If you have a spare key try it. Odds that both transponders are bad are slim.

DriveMeCrazy
12-19-09, 10:17 PM
**UPDATE**

Changed the Crank Sensor and it fired right up! Let's hope that solves it. As a side note, I have noticed that if you just turn the key on, when all the warning lights go off, the Fuel Cap light stays on with the check engine light, until the car is started. So that's normal I guess.