: 2009 CTS-V= too much technology?

Ross L
12-16-09, 11:09 AM
I read posts about people wanting back up camera's, tilting mirrors, lighted rear floorboards, lighted console shift indicators(actually that might be nice:o), extra this, more of that,,,,ect, ect. These things are all nice, but I could live with less. Less, info displayed on the display. I can check my own tires, know when to change my own oil, can see that the rainsense is active, don't need two gauges for mph, lateral g's, and so on.... It's overwhelming to me. I would have bought the car with only the basics including power windows,seats,locks and cruise control. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and appreciate all the efforts/work needed to bring this car to market. It's just sooooo much stuff. I am coming from a soft top Jeep Wrangler:cookoo:Did I mention I love this car?!
Ross

BacDoc
12-16-09, 11:13 AM
It's a matter of convenience, safety, and market demand.

Florian
12-16-09, 11:16 AM
the 04s had this most of this stuff as well.....just a simple generational progression.

F

Ross L
12-16-09, 11:19 AM
I'm sure you're right. But, me toggling through the endless display of information while driving probably isn't what GM intended when thinking safety:shhh: I do realize most people want or expect such features.
Ross

Hawkeye2
12-16-09, 11:48 AM
Wait till you get a message "speed limited due to rear suspension failure"! I had that, called Onstar, they limite your speed to 80 MPH till you
have it serviced. I had a bad rear suspension sensor -located under the rear seat. BTW, you would not believe all the stuff located
under the rear seat!

My wife, still drives her soft top stick shift Jeep. She prefers a simple car, no electronics etc. So I hear ya......

JFJr
12-16-09, 12:24 PM
But, me toggling through the endless display of information while driving probably isn't what GM intended when thinking safety.Actually, the problem of having too many displays could be cured by only offering the most important ones in a "heads-up" display like the Corvettes have, saving the rest for the DIC. Also, it would be great to be able to read pressures in all 4 tires in one screen, not 2.

tedcmiller
12-16-09, 01:40 PM
Gosh, gee! Too much stuff? I was going to mention the non-existent heads-up display, but JFJr beat me to it. I don't care how much additional stuff is displayed except that I do miss the two DIC displays and all of the tire pressure numbers in one display like the 2004-2007 CTS-Vs. Being able to display the digital speed and all four tire pressures simultaneously was very nice. I would like to have it back. I have never had a heads-up display, but I'm sure that I would miss it if I had had one in the past.

neuronbob
12-16-09, 02:11 PM
LOL at this thread!

But I can't laugh too hard.....my S2000 has no electronic nannies so you have to know WTF you are doing to drive it, no TPMS, I think the most complex electronics are in the ECM for engine management.

In any case, I DO wish for a backup camera on my V but wish the hard drive was deleted--I don't use it.

Vrocks
12-16-09, 02:54 PM
I like technology and I'd like to see more in the V and future cadillacs.

Some features I'd like to see:
- park tilt mirrors
- backup cam
- automated parking ability (I'd like to see the car driving on it's own).
- DSG type of transmission
- continually updated nav system via 3g, 4g or onStar.
- HUD
- *Super HUD* through the use of oLED integrated into the windshied. It could draw boxes around tough to see objects like deer, people, boxes in the road. Or, it could enhance your vision by reducing glare, enhancing road lines in rainy or foggy conditions, etc...
- stereo blue tooth with phone capability + inductive charging.
- visual cues that warn you of a notoriously dangerous intersection if it's on your route (i.e. statistically accident prone areas).

Ross L
12-16-09, 03:24 PM
I've got the "watch for ice" or something like that on the display. Seriously, just give me a big bullet proof motor(check), a matching transmission(check), and a strong rear end(insert smart comment here) and I'm happy. :highfive:
Ross

Z06ified
12-16-09, 04:08 PM
I love technology, and I love all the technology and features the CTS-V has. I could even use more. HUD would be nice (I love it on my Z06), oil temperature, trans temp, and diff temps would be nice to be able to call up on the DIC. A dedicated oil pressure gauge would be nice too. Being able to pull up all the gauges and sensor readings on the NAV screen, like the GT-R can, would be nice too. The data is there, and you've got the screen to show it, so why not make it available and show it?

wfo
12-16-09, 05:09 PM
Now HUD (heads up display) a must have.

Squinting thru steering wheel spokes and guage clusters to get a fix on info shouldn't be. HUD should have been a no brainer in a Hi-Po sport sedan IMHO. Tranfersable technology from the Vette like the powerplant and suspension.

RapidRob
12-16-09, 10:12 PM
Wait till you get a message "speed limited due to rear suspension failure"! I had that, called Onstar, they limite your speed to 80 MPH till you
have it serviced. I had a bad rear suspension sensor -located under the rear seat.

One of the reasons I haven't activated OnStar ... a little too Big Brother-ish for me. I know there are advantages to the service, BUT ... !

Rob

thebigjimsho
12-16-09, 10:30 PM
One of the reasons I haven't activated OnStar ... a little too Big Brother-ish for me. I know there are advantages to the service, BUT ... !

Rob
Make sure to never get in an accident...

RapidRob
12-16-09, 10:40 PM
Make sure to never get in an accident...

That's for sure - so OnStar won't tell how fast you were going, etc., etc., to inappropriate officials who may ask. Like I said - it does have it's advantages, but I feel there, IS, a down-side as well ...

Rob

mik2718
12-16-09, 10:43 PM
I spent the last 12 years growing very fond of HUDs and I really, really miss the feature in my V. Having the info displays available to the passenger ("navigator") would be preferable, but, I guess they don't call it a DIC for nothing.

Too much technology already in the V? Not in my opinion.

CTS NV
12-16-09, 11:01 PM
At least we don't have iDrive, Mdrive, variable ratio steering and laser guided cruise control :stirpot:

Gotham CTS-V
12-17-09, 08:37 AM
Too much technology would be some of the BMW's I've owned and driven. Totally out of control and confusing to the point where you just want to give up.

I do miss HUD. I had it in my Vette and M and I really thought it was a great tool. It's not necessary, but when you are performance driving, it is a helpful and safe option to have. Too bad they couldn't put one in, even if it's based off the simple, green Corvette HUD.

neuronbob
12-17-09, 01:00 PM
Can a HUD be done on an aftermarket basis? I have no idea, so I'm just asking.

V-Eight
12-17-09, 01:08 PM
I'm sure somebody could find a way.

thebigjimsho
12-17-09, 03:32 PM
Anything can be had with $$$

clubracer6
12-17-09, 04:10 PM
Anything can be had with $$$

Great, how about some ceiling grab handles for the front seat occupants?? A $27k VW has them in all 4 positions!

The same VW has express windows up and down for all 4 windows...

Now does this VW have 556hp and RWD - nope... But if I wanted all these features I'd have to get a BMW, but with the savings on the V, I get to keep my VW for bad weather and when I'm really missing those little features... More so bad weather as the rest of the car will help me forget about that stuff!

V-Eight
12-17-09, 07:57 PM
Great, how about some ceiling grab handles for the front seat occupants?? A $27k VW has them in all 4 positions!

People actually use those?

clubracer6
12-18-09, 09:55 AM
People actually use those?

Yeah, people have used them in my cars... My C6 and C5 were the only recent cars of mine that didn't have them... On really long highway road trips, I actually use mine a little bit.

Certainly not a big deal, but I just find it odd that they don't have them given the price tag...

thebigjimsho
12-18-09, 10:04 AM
The V2 is a downright bargain at its price...

edsuski
12-18-09, 10:25 AM
I like technology and I'd like to see more in the V and future cadillacs.

Some features I'd like to see:
- park tilt mirrors
- backup cam
- automated parking ability (I'd like to see the car driving on it's own).
- DSG type of transmission
- continually updated nav system via 3g, 4g or onStar.
- HUD
- *Super HUD* through the use of oLED integrated into the windshied. It could draw boxes around tough to see objects like deer, people, boxes in the road. Or, it could enhance your vision by reducing glare, enhancing road lines in rainy or foggy conditions, etc...
- stereo blue tooth with phone capability + inductive charging.
- visual cues that warn you of a notoriously dangerous intersection if it's on your route (i.e. statistically accident prone areas).

I agree! The gadgets are some of the coolest things about the car (after the performance - of course). I laugh at people trying to use wired or even Bluetooth head sets to use cell phones. The Hands Free options are great. Try simply telling your car to "Go To" some location the next time a friend drives with you (after adding a voice tag to the location in the NAV system first - of course). Or if you are driving and can not enter or find an address - press the OnStar button and ask OnStar to download directions directly to your NAV system. Most people are pretty impressed with the technology available in the V.

Keep it coming GM. I want more in the 2011 - and think about adding the LS9 as an option......

GMX322V S/C
12-18-09, 08:14 PM
Without state of the art engine management technology, there is no way our cars could produce the power they do while maintaining excellent driveability, meet strict emissions requirements, and still get over 20 highway MPG to boot!

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 02:43 PM
Over 20mpg? Is that at a constant 55?

GMX322V S/C
12-19-09, 03:07 PM
^^--At 65 I can get just under 22. Even at 80 I can get just over 20. All indicated, over level ground, with wait4me handheld tune + airbox mod.

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 04:16 PM
I've seen 19. Haven't seen an average mpg that starts with a 2 yet...

JFJr
12-19-09, 04:45 PM
I'm getting 21 mpg at 73 mph (manual trans.); no tunes. I expect a little better after 25,000 miles.

mik2718
12-19-09, 05:53 PM
I've seen a little over 20 (never as high as 22) more than a dozen times, cruising on good roads. Generally 3-4 mph over the posted limit, with 2 people and around 100 pounds of stuff on board.

I'm happy to get around 14 just driving around locally.