: Traction control problems with taller tires?

kxb
12-15-09, 05:27 PM
I'm looking at buying a set of snow tires and rims, and am concerned about the traction control problem mentioned here in the thread "158633-v2-throttle-control-problem".

Summary is that bergstpg had a problem with traction control when he went to larger circumference tires in back (moving from 235->240).

Has anyone else had this problem? Has it been fixed by ECM update or similar?

kxb
12-16-09, 10:36 AM
Turns out it didn't matter.

Called Tire Rack, and they recommended Blizzak 255/40-19 ($250) all around for snow tires. I wanted to get 225/45-19, but according to them, the skinnier tire won't support enough weight. It must support approx 1350+ lbs, and only supports 1200.

They are putting them on ASA GT1s ($200) with TPMS for me. All in, shipped to chicagoland, about $2K.

lbenoit
12-16-09, 12:43 PM
Please let us know how this setup works out for you. I went the Pirelli Sottozero 240 snow tires in OEM sizes from the TireRack, fearing that non-standard sizing might not work correctly with stabilitrack and traction control.

dg144
12-16-09, 03:57 PM
Please let us know how this setup works out for you. I went the Pirelli Sottozero 240 snow tires in OEM sizes from the TireRack, fearing that non-standard sizing might not work correctly with stabilitrack and traction control.

I did the same and they are working fine

AZstar
12-16-09, 04:16 PM
dg144 you mean the often reported problems with traction control due to a 0.7% change in tire circumference are not accurate. I'm shocked. There is probably more variability in circumference between different brands of tires with the same size designation.

I have had the same question as the OP and have been reluctant to try a different size tire because people on this board keep referring to one person having problems with TC after changing tires. As I suspected that problem was likely unrelated to the tires.

It's good to finally hear someone report success with a different tire size.

CoOlSlY
12-16-09, 04:29 PM
Turns out it didn't matter.

Called Tire Rack, and they recommended Blizzak 255/40-19 ($250) all around for snow tires. I wanted to get 225/45-19, but according to them, the skinnier tire won't support enough weight. It must support approx 1350+ lbs, and only supports 1200.

They are putting them on ASA GT1s ($200) with TPMS for me. All in, shipped to chicagoland, about $2K.

Just wondering, do they have the 255/40-19 Blizzak in stock?? It doesn't show on their website

CTS NV
12-16-09, 10:54 PM
Just wondering, do they have the 255/40-19 Blizzak in stock?? It doesn't show on their website

They had the Bridgestones last week, so perhaps they're out of stock now.

I just ordered 255/40 Pirelli 240s all-around on the ASA wheels and will join the group of testers soon. Hoping there are no issues...

kxb
12-16-09, 11:10 PM
The Blizzaks were in stock, but the ASA wheels were not. Due in Dec 30.

If had to conjecture, I suspect the traction control problems occur when the front wheels and rear wheels are significantly (>3%) different in circumference. I would bet that as long as the front and rear hubs rotate at the same speed, you're good to go.

Of course, what happens when the rear wears? Maybe as long as the difference in rotational speed comes on gradually, the computer adjusts? ANyone care to weigh in?

kxb
01-08-10, 09:17 AM
I got these on this week.

No TC problems, and the blizzaks are great.

The rims also look nice, not gaudy. Close enough to the originals that I don't really notice.

neuronbob
01-08-10, 10:48 AM
Thanks for confirming that this setup works. Now we officially have another option for winter tires/wheels.

Pics? :)

kxb
01-09-10, 10:24 AM
Will post some pics after I get her washed.

kxb
01-09-10, 04:17 PM
Here's what they look like on. I'm pretty happy with tirerack too. They shipped when they said they were going to ship, balance is good, tpms works.

http://burkhardt.org/car_pics/CTSV_ASA_GT1_WHEELS.JPG

caddynoob
01-09-10, 07:52 PM
Thanks, I have been waiting a picture with ASA rims on. They look great. Is the offset correct? Any issue with rubbing?

CoOlSlY
01-10-10, 08:46 AM
I know I posted this in another thread but I spoke with the purchasing dept. of Tirerack last week and they mentionned that the date of january 20th is not valid and that their shipment of this wheel is delayed until the end of february. I decided to mount the Sotto's on the stock rim for now...

kxb
01-10-10, 02:56 PM
Rubbing - none so far.

Offset - I'm not an expert here. They fit, and they don't hit the brake calipers (probably 1cm of margin).

The wheels are also round, and they roll, and that sums up my wheel expertise. :)

CTS NV
01-11-10, 08:45 PM
I just installed the same setup, 255/40 Sottos all around on ASA rims. All works fine.

As far as offset, the wheels appear (to me) to stick out slightly more than the stock rims, but not in a bad way

CoOlSlY
01-11-10, 09:29 PM
Got my V today, all 4 wheels have been scratched by dealer... Also, they dropped a tool on the paint so 2 dents on the rear fender. Very bad experience with my dealer, would never recommend.

Running 255/40, no tc issue though... :|

aj660
09-17-10, 01:33 PM
Here's what they look like on. I'm pretty happy with tirerack too. They shipped when they said they were going to ship, balance is good, tpms works.

http://burkhardt.org/car_pics/CTSV_ASA_GT1_WHEELS.JPG

Those wheels look really nice and reasonable price. Are they heavier than the stock wheels?

baabootoo
09-17-10, 01:59 PM
Well, extra weight is ALWAYS good in snow!!!!!