: Storage questions

cjwolverine
12-15-09, 05:13 PM
I know there have been various posts before, but I'm looking to compile the advice in one place. For those of you who store their cars, help me out.

I'm in Michigan and have put it away for the winter. I need a recommendation on a cover. It will be in my garage (not heated).

What else, I've been told Jack stands are a must, someone else says no. ??
Disconnect the battery? or no?
Do I need to start it now and then? or no?
Should I drive it around a bit if we get an unusually nice day?

Anything else?
I will break it out of jail by April- So 3-4 months total in garage.

Thanks- all tips are welcome.
Chris

4gear70
12-15-09, 05:38 PM
Two of my cars are in a heated garage including my V. I keep a Covercraft Dustop cover on my 442. It doesn't get driven that much but I start it up every month and take it out on nice sunny days and row some gears. Check fluids before and after. When in the garage I disconnect the battery on that one because there is nothing to keep in memory. If it were to sit for longer periods of time, then I will put it up on jack stands to avoid flat spotting the tires. Radiator fluid has to have some sort of corrosion inhibitor in it especially when sitting for a while.

The V gets the same kind of treatment (without car cover for now) but no disconnect of the battery. I recommend starting it up and driving it on nice days to ensure that the radiator fluid and cooling system gets properly circulated. This is your biggest area for corrosion to occur. You don't just want to start it and let it idle either but you want to drive it for a few miles to get the moisture out of the exhaust as well.

radix
12-15-09, 09:35 PM
This (and most modern) cars have a fairly high drain on the battery while parked. You really need to either disconnect or use a method to maintain the charge on the battery - a battery charger every few weeks or a battery maintainer.

Battery damage will result if you let it completely discharge, and it will after standing 90 days.

If you do decide to start the car to charge the battery, you need to run it long enough to charge the battery ( say 30 min at a decent rpm), as well as to fully warm the engine and exhaust to drive out moisture and acidic condensation formed at start up.

OldRoadDawg
12-15-09, 10:00 PM
My V2 is in storage in an unheated garage until April - the same as I did with my V1 for the previous 4 yrs.

Fresh oil change, full tank of gas with StaBil added, hook up my Battery Tender (http://batterytender.com/automotive/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html) and pull the Covercraft Dustop (http://www.carcoverusa.com/index.htm) cover over it and cry like a baby :crying2: until April gets here.

Never had a problem (except my emotional well-being)

Prof
12-16-09, 08:40 AM
My V2 is a daily driver but I do store my truck. Battery tender and cover from Griot's Garage...

StaBil in the full gas tank...full tank inhibits condensation above the fuel...

Have never had a problem with the tires...but am considering putting it up on jack stands this year...not much effort to avoid a possible problem.

cjwolverine
12-19-09, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll get a cover, some jack stands and a battery tender for Christmas.

Caroutisine
12-19-09, 02:15 PM
My V2 is in storage in an unheated garage until April
Fresh oil change, full tank of gas with StaBil added, hook up my Battery Tender (http://batterytender.com/automotive/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html) and pull the Covercraft Dustop (http://www.carcoverusa.com/index.htm) cover over it and cry like a baby :crying2: until April gets here.

That's all I have ever done as well, no problem. I heard putting it on jack stands was actually bad because it takes all the weight off the suspension.

12-19-09, 03:09 PM
I've stored lots of cars and boats over many seasons and in different climates. I can tell you that there is a big difference between a situation where you can drive it every few weeks...and where you can't. If you are gonna be able to start it and drive it...then you aren't really storing it.

Jackstands? First, if you are going to jack the car up, it should be jacked up on te suspension, not the frame/unibody. Suspensions are meant to support the weight for long periods....the unibody is designed to carry the load in one place....that is where the suspension bolts to the frame.

I have stored on jackstands, and not. When I don't use jackstands......the first run after a resting for a period of time is bumpy as the flat spots work themselves out. But.....they work themselves out, ALWAYS, after a few miles. So I have conclude that jacking the car or boat for indoor winter storage is more trouble than it's worth. Outdoor is different.....jacking will keep the tires off moist pavement or gravel, and possibly extend tire life.

Stabil, car cover (I use NOAH car covers), clean oil, wipe down weatherstripping with silicone spray, spray battery terminals with anti-corrosion stuff (I use silicone), lube door hinges, and hood and trunk pivot points, hood latches, and virtually anything else that can be lubed or that can corrode (good maintenance anyway). I use a battery maintainer so I don't have to worry about dead battery.....

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 04:58 PM
My V2 is in storage in an unheated garage until April - the same as I did with my V1 for the previous 4 yrs.

Never had a problem (except my emotional well-being)
^^^That is what I did, to the T, for the 3 years I stored my V1. Except I used a NOAH cover.

I have stored on jackstands, and not. When I don't use jackstands......the first run after a resting for a period of time is bumpy as the flat spots work themselves out. But.....they work themselves out, ALWAYS, after a few miles. So I have conclude that jacking the car or boat for indoor winter storage is more trouble than it's worth. Outdoor is different.....jacking will keep the tires off moist pavement or gravel, and possibly extend tire life.

Stabil, car cover (I use NOAH car covers), clean oil, wipe down weatherstripping with silicone spray, spray battery terminals with anti-corrosion stuff (I use silicone), lube door hinges, and hood and trunk pivot points, hood latches, and virtually anything else that can be lubed or that can corrode (good maintenance anyway). I use a battery maintainer so I don't have to worry about dead battery.....
^^^And another hit out of the park. Don't worry about permanently flat-spotting the tires on a car sitting for just a few months...

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 05:25 PM
Even though I'm not planning on storing the V2 during the winters like I did my V1, having a quality cover handy is a must, IMHO. When I head up to my friend's cottage at the lake, I am forced to park under pine trees. So I always have a cover handy for that. Anywho, this is what I bought...

http://www.carcoverusa.com/images/covercraft_reflective.jpg

It's a Covercraft Ultratect black cover with reflective welting. I wanted to get custom embroidery, but you can only get Ford emblems with Covercraft. Coverking is the other maker and they carry only GM. But Coverking doesn't have a nice black cover so I'll try to see if I can get custom embroidery elsewhere.

If anyone chooses a Coverking cover, you can have a custom V emblem done. Twould've been nice...

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 05:26 PM
So if anyone knows where to find a good sized V or Cadillac scripted soft patch, I'd love to know and then have it sewn on...

4gear70
12-19-09, 09:59 PM

Yes, it's usually always worked itself out and for me as well. However, this has not ALWAYS been the case on some of my stored vehicles. It can be a permanent issue depending on length of time, conditions and type of tire. The casing and belts of the tires can become permanently distorted. I have had a few tires in my life never come back to 'normal' after storage.
Being able to drive the car every few weeks is optimal but not always possible especially depending on weather or storage location. Yeah, I agree, jackstands are a pain but sometimes for long term storage, it's the best option.

Here's a good read on the topic:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

A bit off topic but I do keep spare tires wrapped in plastic bags and stacked on a cool clean floor and away from air currents.
I've even heard of some people not putting their tires near electric motors so that the ozone generated around the motor won't adversly react with the tire rubber.

cjwolverine
12-24-09, 02:26 AM
If not Jack stands have any of you used those little 1/2 round things that sit on the floor. They seems a bit pricey and if you guys say the Flat spots work themselves out then maybe I'll skip them all together.

Here is a link to the "flat spot stopper"

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenance/everyday+and+storage/flat+spot+stopper%2C+set+of+4.do

anyone try them?