: New product: Carbon Fiber Chin Extensions

Specter Werkes Sports
12-15-09, 02:53 PM
We have completed our latest project on the 09+ CTS V. Exposed Carbon chin extensions. The extensions are an additional 20mm wider than the stock plastic pieces. Installation is the same as the stock units utilizing all of the stock hardware.

Pricing to come soon:

Front View
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/specterwerkes/09%20-%20CTSV/FrontCTSV.jpg
Closeup
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/specterwerkes/09%20-%20CTSV/closeup.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/specterwerkes/09%20-%20CTSV/CTSVFrontclose.jpg
Installation
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/specterwerkes/09%20-%20CTSV/DSCN2049.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/specterwerkes/09%20-%20CTSV/DSCN2044.jpg

Specter Werkes Sports
12-15-09, 04:46 PM
The price for the front chin extension pieces is $595 for the pair.

thatcoder
12-15-09, 06:29 PM
Wow. that's cheap.

wfo
12-15-09, 06:35 PM
Cheap my ass...um, did I say that, sorry?

Well it isn't.

BeagleBrains
12-15-09, 08:05 PM
What is the color of the V displayed; is it a light illusion?:hmm:

dvandentop
12-15-09, 08:15 PM
What is the color of the V displayed; is it a light illusion?:hmm:
it is their thunder gray car

BeagleBrains
12-15-09, 08:34 PM
My selection list narrows. I do like that Thunder Gray!

musclesbmf
12-15-09, 08:48 PM
Any way you guys might produce those in plain black like the stock ones? And if so, the price?

thanks,
Mark

thatcoder
12-15-09, 09:18 PM
They are plastic right, not carbon fiber?

tedcmiller
12-15-09, 09:31 PM
I'm with wfo. Those extensions are not cheap. $600 for two small pieces of plastic is ridiculous.

aco
12-15-09, 10:20 PM
Are these carbon fiber or "carbon fiber" stickers on plastic? The picture from below looks like they are overlays. $600 for overlays is wayyyyyyy too much!

vseries
12-15-09, 10:29 PM
Cheap my ass...um, did I say that, sorry?

Well it isn't.

LMFAO :bwahaharoll4vu:
In all seriousness though they have to be real carbon fiber as Specter Werkes doesnt mess around . Maybe there could be the possibility of a large group buy to bring the cost down?

cbloveday
12-15-09, 11:02 PM
Have you made the rear panel in CF to match the front CF chine extensions like hennessey has? If so, I'd be interested in buying your pair. My concern is, I do not want to mix weave patterns. I do not want to do the front without doing the rear panel and I would like to buy from the same company to ensure like weave.

SlvrBullIT
12-16-09, 02:22 AM
2 pieces I thought it was 3 the left and right splitter and the center chin? 5th underside picture shows the center CF piece.

EXTM
12-16-09, 04:13 AM
thats one cool piece, good work "Specter"

6DN69
12-16-09, 07:42 AM
The price for the front chin extension pieces is $595 for the pair.

I'll buy a set...PM me with the payment/shipping details. Thanks

Specter Werkes Sports
12-16-09, 08:54 AM
Vseries

Specter Werkes doesnt mess around

Yes, they are real carbon fiber and they are pictured on a Thunder Grey V. They can be made in plain black as well but that would be a fiberglass part. I will put together some pricing and get back to you.

We have some really cool plans for some more projects on the V so I will keep you all updated.

Kadonny
12-16-09, 09:19 AM
Ok, I'll be the first to admit they look great.

However.......anyone (like me) who drives the car a lot will soon realize that spending $ 500 on a part that can VERY easily get scuffed up on curbs, parking lot bumpers, sidewalks etc. is insane. I've had the car one year already and I'm on my second set of plastic GM chin extensions. They get scuffed very, very easily.

Not trying to rain on Specter Works parade here, just a general FYI for those interested.

jwsoutha
12-16-09, 10:06 AM
QUOTE:
"However.......anyone (like me) who drives the car a lot will soon realize that spending $ 500 on a part that can VERY easily get scuffed up on curbs, parking lot bumpers, sidewalks etc. is insane. I've had the car one year already and I'm on my second set of plastic GM chin extensions. They get scuffed very, very easily."

Yes but do you drive around with steel rims or cheap tires because you can run into a curb and scuff them up?

Everything I have bought or saw that Specter has made has been great. I am calling right now to order some.

jwsoutha
12-16-09, 10:11 AM
I just called and ordered them. Now I will anticipate their arrival.

Krug Ford
12-16-09, 11:57 AM
These parts cvan be ordered through me or through them directly.

We can even have them installed on your car so it will will be ready when its picked up.

They look nice.

We sold them the car that they did and the quality is top notch.

bruff1977
12-16-09, 12:23 PM
Great job! Are you planning on making CF for the rear plastic and maybe even the Fog light housing/air duct?

Specter Werkes Sports
12-16-09, 01:18 PM
Yes, we are planning on making a carbon rear closeout to replace the plastic piece.

tedcmiller
12-16-09, 01:31 PM
It is a mystery to me why so many people refer to cost of these items as $500 when it is clearly stated that the cost is $595. To me that is $600! Way too much for a few pieces of plastic.

Specter Werkes Sports
12-16-09, 02:53 PM
It is a mystery to me why so many people refer to cost of these items as $500 when it is clearly stated that the cost is $595. To me that is $600! Way too much for a few pieces of plastic.

They are not plastic. Hand laid vacuum bagged carbon fiber. When they are taken out of the tool they are then cleaned, wet sanded and then cleared. After they dry they are then wet sanded again if necessary and then polished.

The other option we offer would be to make them out of fiberglass so they can be painted black or any other color.

wfo
12-16-09, 05:13 PM
They are plastic right, not carbon fiber?

Come on thatcoder...with all due respect, you know better than that :thepan:...at $600 these are the real McCoy Carbon Fiber. No plastic here.

cbloveday
12-16-09, 05:50 PM
Yes, we are planning on making a carbon rear closeout to replace the plastic piece.

Please PM as soon as I can purchase the front and rear pieces as a set!
:worship:

commander112
12-16-09, 07:35 PM
Please PM as soon as I can purchase the front and rear pieces as a set!
:worship:

Ditto!

saintnickatnite
12-16-09, 10:52 PM
...CTS-V... Now with 50% more chin!!! Just what you've been waiting for!

Ya Boy
12-16-09, 11:31 PM
Group Buy ??? :rolleyes:

Prof
12-17-09, 04:14 AM
If it includes the third piece for the center section the price is a little more in line...but considering that these pieces may tend to get bumped from time to time...replacement at nearly $300 each is tough...they certainly better be carbon fiber for that amount.

SlvrBullIT
12-17-09, 04:20 AM
Is the center chin included?

Kadonny
12-17-09, 08:25 AM
Yes but do you drive around with steel rims or cheap tires because you can run into a curb and scuff them up?

Of course not. It's a hell of a lot easier not hitting a curb on the side of the car (mirrors) than judging where the front end is. Come on, have a little common sense please.

Again, if you drive the car regularly, there is a damn good chance these front pieces get scrubbed up. If you want to risk the $ 595 then by all means do so. I personally will not.

Specter Werkes Sports
12-17-09, 10:14 AM
Is the center chin included?

The rest of the front of the V is all stock, but we do also offer a chin spoiler for the V.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/specterwerkes/09%20-%20CTSV/DSCN1992.jpg

BeagleBrains
12-17-09, 10:28 AM
The looks are cool, but...!!! That front lower chin area is terribly vulnerable.
As for being Carbon Fiber, you are getting the most exotic in technology for strength and special conspicuous looks at the front of your car for all to see.
To move up to Hi-Tech, this stronger-than-steel super light-weight material carries a cost factor, as Carbon Fiber ain't plastic! :annoyed: so it should handle a curb/parking barrier excursion now and again.
In consideration of the fact that I do not want to screw up my suspension or alignment, I do not guage my parking position by having an impact with the curb. I refer to "those" people as "sound drivers." They must hear a sound (scrape, thump, crash) to determine that the car is parked. If you are one of "those" :bomb:, do not spend $595.00 on a sacrificial appearance piece.

cbloveday
12-17-09, 01:02 PM
The looks are cool, but...!!! That front lower chin area is terribly vulnerable.
As for being Carbon Fiber, you are getting the most exotic in technology for strength and special conspicuous looks at the front of your car for all to see.
To move up to Hi-Tech, this stronger-than-steel super light-weight material carries a cost factor, as Carbon Fiber ain't plastic! :annoyed: so it should handle a curb/parking barrier excursion now and again.
In consideration of the fact that I do not want to screw up my suspension or alignment, I do not guage my parking position by having an impact with the curb. I refer to "those" people as "sound drivers." They must hear a sound (scrape, thump, crash) to determine that the car is parked. If you are one of "those" :bomb:, do not spend $595.00 on a sacrificial appearance piece.

Well put. I was trying to find a politically correct way to say the same thing and opted not to comment.

Kadonny
12-17-09, 01:15 PM
I do not guage my parking position by having an impact with the curb. I refer to "those" people as "sound drivers." They must hear a sound (scrape, thump, crash) to determine that the car is parked.

I'll agree that there are drivers like that, and I assure you I am not one of those. Still, to think that the chin is not a "likely" place that may get damaged when one drives and parks the car a lot is silly. GM made a replaceable trim piece there for a reason.

I'll agree, if you want to spend $ 600 for a part that is vulnerable, then by all means do it.

cbloveday
12-17-09, 01:24 PM
I think it is inevitable that the part will get impacted. Maybe not from a curb, but from something unavoidable in the road.
So for those like me who will still buy the part, continue to be careful and do not sweat it when it happens.

4DR_ZR1
12-17-09, 02:11 PM
I'll offer up a dissenting opinion to be added to the above drooling posts.....

it is a bolt-on that does nothing for handling, but a distinct RICE flavor.....

and

$595 + shipping for an 'appearance piece' that one would have to squat down to questioningly admire and then parking valet or dealership lot boy will mangle and not bother to tell you.....

I'll pass

wfo
12-17-09, 02:53 PM
:jawdrop: $595.

I'll put that to a quality CAI and still have change to put back in the jar.

Specter Werkes Sports
12-17-09, 04:58 PM
I do understand the sticker shock that is sometimes associated with products especially when it comes to the CTS V and Corvette. What we at Specter Werkes offer is small run specialty pieces for the V and Corvette that are unfortunately very labor intensive. Building exposed carbon fiber parts is truly an art and we believe that we have the best guys in the business doing it. Yes it would be more cost effective to outsource our products overseas and simply put our name on them, but ultimately having control over the final product is more important to us.

cbloveday
12-17-09, 05:07 PM
I do understand the sticker shock that is sometimes associated with products especially when it comes to the CTS V and Corvette. What we at Specter Werkes offer is small run specialty pieces for the V and Corvette that are unfortunately very labor intensive. Building exposed carbon fiber parts is truly an art and we believe that we have the best guys in the business doing it. Yes it would be more cost effective to outsource our products overseas and simply put our name on them, but ultimately having control over the final product is more important to us.

Allow me to condense that statement: You get what you pay for.
Coming off my previous car, an M6, $595 is pocket change.
Look at it this way, for Eisenmann race exhaust (mufflers) it was $3,000.00
My Dinan stuff was way more expensive. I'm a fan for $595.00 and won't bat an eye.

Kadonny
12-18-09, 08:35 AM
Allow me to condense that statement: You get what you pay for.
Coming off my previous car, an M6, $595 is pocket change.
Look at it this way, for Eisenmann race exhaust (mufflers) it was $3,000.00
My Dinan stuff was way more expensive. I'm a fan for $595.00 and won't bat an eye.

Then god bless you, by all means do it. I'll continue to be frugal about mods to my car, $ 600 is a lot of cash nowadays.

MReiland
12-18-09, 08:57 AM
I saw the Gray Specter Werkes V over at 14 and I-75 yesterday out on the road, it looks hot in person...:yup:

Nine Ball
12-18-09, 08:42 PM
The carbon fiber splitter on the nose of my Z06 cost ~$800 or so. Looks like some of you have never priced real carbon fiber pieces before.

:bouncy:

cbloveday
12-18-09, 11:28 PM
The carbon fiber splitter on the nose of my Z06 cost ~$800 or so. Looks like some of you have never priced real carbon fiber pieces before.

:bouncy:

Yep, the vorsteiner CF lip on my m6 was $1,500