: need opinions, friend is thinking of buying a 97 cad coupe

Kael
12-15-09, 02:04 PM
My friend anna is looking at a 97 cadillac coupe of some sort with 100k on it.
Apparently it is a one owner car and they need to get rid of it so are selling for about 2k which is good because she does not have a lot of money.

Wanting to know if anyone thinks it would be a decent buy/reliable/etc.

I will post up more info as I get it, I just wanted to put this out there first to start a discussion.

osu411yamaha
12-15-09, 02:22 PM
The two most common/expensive problems on these cars are head gaskets and suspension. Fortunately, head gasket problems are fairly easy to diagnose in a test drive. Take it on the highway and go wide open throttle. The needle on the temperature gauge should never move past center(12 oclock) while you are accelerating. If it starts to rise it is probably best to walk away from the car as this means a probable head gasket issue. Make sure there is no service engine light and if there is run the codes. Be advised that these vehicles are expensive to repair if one cannot do the majority themselves and has to take them to the dealer. You will find much more information on this car in the Seville/Eldorado side of the forum than here in the members lounge. There are some experts on this vehicle over there including Submariner, Ranger, and Ewillard.

Kael
12-15-09, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the help so far.
from a grainy pic that was sent to me it seems to be an eldorado.

osu411yamaha
12-15-09, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the help so far.
from a grainy pic that was sent to me it seems to be an eldorado.

Yes its an Eldorado. That was the only coupe they produced that year.

orconn
12-15-09, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't recommend any Cadillac with 100,000 miles on it for any young, financially strapped young person (or any luxury car for that matter). Too many things to break and malfunction. If your finances are limited you are better sticking with a newer, lower mileage less complicated car.

Jesda
12-16-09, 02:44 AM
If Anna wants an Eldorado, consider a slightly older one with the much more dependable but less powerful 4.9L V8. Still, a car from the early 90s will need suspension work and who knows what else.

"G$"
12-16-09, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't recommend any Cadillac with 100,000 miles on it for any young, financially strapped young person (or any luxury car for that matter). Too many things to break and malfunction. If your finances are limited you are better sticking with a newer, lower mileage less complicated car.

I agree. Tell her not to do it, it will be a money pit. The car is very complicated with a lot of electronics and poorly tested technology that can break and be very expensive to repair. That's why it's 2k.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-16-09, 09:38 AM

x3. Luxury cars are not meant to be cheap to own first cars, especially old ones. I have always owned them but I also have the knowledge to fix any issues that arise myself. Still, I have spent quite a bit to maintain them. If she really wants a luxo car, get an '88-'93 DeVille or an '88-'91 Eldo/Seville. They are still not the cheapest things to own but they are far simpler than their newer descendants.

Kael
12-16-09, 02:43 PM
Well this entire situation is a lot less of "wanted to own a luxury car" and more along the lines of "needs a daily driver, does not have a lot of money, and this deal fell into her lap" and she started to ask me about it, and since I do not know that car well, I asked you guys.

Ranger
12-16-09, 05:08 PM
It could go either way, but Orconn make a very valid point. If all she wants is a daily driver and make and model are not an imprtant factor, there are better choices for someone in her position.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-16-09, 07:18 PM
Would not buy a $2,000 Northstar Cadillac. Nope.

Stingroo
12-16-09, 07:25 PM
^ x 3254235234523424352342345242354442424.5

itschrome
12-16-09, 09:31 PM
also even if say the engine is strong there are other issues. for instance thanks to te wonder up keep of the roads in here in NY my suspension has gone basically to hell on me, you want to replace that, $1600 for the each of the fronts. and that is if you can find the parts.

Jesda
12-16-09, 11:30 PM
Well this entire situation is a lot less of "wanted to own a luxury car" and more along the lines of "needs a daily driver, does not have a lot of money, and this deal fell into her lap" and she started to ask me about it, and since I do not know that car well, I asked you guys.

Basic transportation that won't make you feel like you're cheaping out:
93-99 Altima with a manual
90s Accord 4-cyl
90s Maxima with a manual

I would definitely pass on the Eldo.

R6DTS
12-18-09, 03:07 PM
Pass...Take a look at a consumer reports used car guide with the reliability, its pretty much horrible.

"G$"
12-18-09, 03:52 PM
Pass...Take a look at a consumer reports used car guide with the reliability, its pretty much horrible.

It's pretty bad when all the people on the cadillac forums have thrown in the towel.

I drove past a green 97 SLS today and the bumper sticker across the back above the license plate said "I'M YA DADDY" in cursive. I thought it was pretty funny.

orconn
12-18-09, 05:37 PM
By the way, I wouldn't recommend a Mercedes, BMW, VW, Volvo or Lincoln to the young a young person looking for cheap transportation on a tight budget either.

Rodya234
12-18-09, 06:12 PM
Cheap luxury car as first car = bad idea.

I have a friend who made the mistake of buying a 2002 SLS as his first car. A few months later and he's already traded it in on a '98 Grand Prix because he can't afford the repairs on it.

The only reason I can keep up with my Deville is that me and my dad can do 100% of the labor needed on that car. From Oil Changes to Transmission rebuilds, if it needs to be done, it can get done without leaving the driveway.

If I couldn't do the work on that car, there's no way I'd be able to keep it, and those C-bodies are pretty reliable. I'd hate to see what a less reliable car was like.

A '97 Eldo for $2000? I wouldn't touch a '96-'99 Cadillac of any kind, no matter how much I liked it. The low price is an indicator that it has problems, potentially expensive ones.

eXile
12-18-09, 06:54 PM
Now now, Im 19 and own a 99 STS... No complaints here.

Destroyer
12-18-09, 09:45 PM
Been there done that with a N* Cadillac. My '98 Deville was a pile of crap. I could have fixed it (not financially strapped) but I simply didn't think it was worth it. 10 years from now there will be no 90's N* cars on the road as they will all be crushed. 10 years later there will be no '00-up N* cars on the road. They will never be classics or sought after except by weird individuals, lol.

"G$"
12-19-09, 12:06 AM
i'm speaking from experience. let me tell you a story. I bought a 97 black on black cadillac SLS 2 days before I graduated college in May 2002 with money I didn't have. It had 63,000 on it and I thought was in mint condition, little did I know. Luckily i got the extended warrantee which covered about 6,000 in repairs over the next 34,000 miles and there was about 2000 in repairs that wasn't covered. Needless to say I drove those 34,000 miles like a bat out of hell bouncin on the masspike switchin four lanes...bombing down storrow drive from brighton to Boston in like 9 minutes sometimes so I was slightly to blame for shocks being shot. errr. :shhh: I ended up 6,000 underwater after 1.5 years on that bad boy. worst investment of my life but I have to say it was by far my pimpest car I've had. It was soooo good looking and yet was as imperfect realiability-wize as you could get. Some of the crap that went wrong with that thing was truly head scratching.