: Update on BMW owner who beat Lutz

wh921
12-15-09, 02:38 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet, but apparently BMW gave that Michael Cooper a nice prize for beating Lutz in the CTS-V Challenge.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/14/cts-v-challenge-driver-and-m3-owner-michael-cooper-gets-pat-on-t/

4gear70
12-15-09, 02:47 PM
Wow.... a whole steering wheel...

concorso
12-15-09, 02:48 PM
^^^And the Recaros are just seats...

4gear70
12-15-09, 02:53 PM
^^^And the Recaros are just seats...

Did GM give you those?

GM-4-LIFE
12-15-09, 03:06 PM
In all fairness, did he really do anything special?

He still lost for god sakes! Now, if he would have shown up and beat John Heinricy, I would see that as a big deal.

A company as big and profitable as BMW only gave him a steering wheel? What a joke!

SG

neuronbob
12-15-09, 03:10 PM
Wow.... a whole steering wheel...

That steering wheel costs around a grand prior to install. That's a pricey gift. The kid deserves his props and illustrates that it takes more than HP to win a race....it takes skill.

Titaniumseeker
12-15-09, 03:36 PM
Most of the BMW steering wheels costs about a grand. That was a supply write-off and not even a ripple for BMW. For the publicity he generated, that was real cheap on BMW's part.

concorso
12-15-09, 03:47 PM
Did GM give you those?That doesnt really matter... The kid went there for an enjoyable racing afternoon, beat Lutz, and got a great $1500 Steering wheel from it. Yea, that must suck.

concorso
12-15-09, 03:50 PM
Most of the BMW steering wheels costs about a grand. That was a supply write-off and not even a ripple for BMW. For the publicity he generated, that was real cheap on BMW's part.Did any of the V drivers get free Recaros, or sue ded interior bits...or something similar? Its a little cheap from BMWs end, but from the kids point of view, he got a great product for free.

4gear70
12-15-09, 04:18 PM
A company as big and profitable as BMW only gave him a steering wheel? What a joke!

SG

Most of the BMW steering wheels costs about a grand. That was a supply write-off and not even a ripple for BMW. For the publicity he generated, that was real cheap on BMW's part.

At least some people get the point.
This was free puplicity for a company that didn't want anything to do with the challenge to begin with.

wfo
12-15-09, 05:21 PM
Let's be reminded that Bob Lutz is 77 years young. This BMW guy is what 30'ish. This would be like the kids great Grand-dad fo goodness sake.

I'm sure Mr Lutz threw this concept out there as a good will gesture to get good ole GM exposure, right?

But more than that he believes in the Cadillac V product and the reigniting of GM's resurgence from economic gloom and doom.

In reality, one's skillsets for precision/fleet footed driving have got to get a little slow at more than the three quarter century mark of life.

All in all, Bob Lutz still did an amazing job. At least he didn't roll the car into a barricade or something. He flogged that little V like any good GM exec should do.

Now just think of how many car nuts out there who might have caught this show will be apt to talk about this car around the water cooler and maybe even smitten with this sweet car.

thebigjimsho
12-15-09, 06:54 PM
little V?

OldRoadDawg
12-15-09, 09:08 PM
Da kid... Michael Cooper is 21 and I thought he did a helluva job with a 2.50:424

Lutz is 77 and I thought his 2:56:321 wasn't too shabby.

But everyone seems to ignore the 2:49:183 turned in by Brian Redman, who will be 73 in March. His skillsets seem to be hanging in there.

caddiedrummer
12-15-09, 09:54 PM
The sad thing is they gave him the one thing on his M he likely won't need to replace. Take it from a former M5 owner, they should have given him tranny parts, computer chips, or a gift certificate at his dealer's service dept.

jimbo1320
12-15-09, 10:12 PM
I don't know how he was able to turn a 2:50 with a stock M3? Seems more than driving skill to me.

CIWS
12-15-09, 10:37 PM
They should have offered him a new M5 (2011) in trade for his M3 for having the guts to show up and take the challenge when they themselves didn't have the balls to.

DrewDog
12-15-09, 10:41 PM
what's so special about this "steering wheel"?

how come his M3 didnt come with it?

Baxman
12-15-09, 11:28 PM
Notice that Autoblog refers the CTS-V Challenge as a "GM marketing ploy", and John Heinricy as a "ringer"; not everyone sees the Challenge as a fair fight, perhaps rightfully so. To dispell any doubt about the V, GM would set up a challenge in which independently-confirmed stock models from MB, Jag, BMW, et al are driven by a panel of three or four skilled and proven race car drivers, something like an auto magazine's multicar-comparo. Once all the variables are controlled, the V can enjoy its unfettered reputation as #1.

Florian
12-16-09, 10:59 AM
The sad thing is they gave him the one thing on his M he likely won't need to replace. Take it from a former M5 owner, they should have given him tranny parts, computer chips, or a gift certificate at his dealer's service dept.

Best post of the thread!

F

sefa01
12-16-09, 11:19 AM
I give credit to the kid. But he was no rookie: He's a Skip Barber graduate and has a fair amount of track time.