: Front Rotors

Silver -V-
12-15-09, 12:10 PM
I am looking for a set of front rotors for my car. I can't find any After Market rotors yet, and the dealer doesn't have any in stock. They are shipping overnight a rotor from Lansing, but the price is over $400.

Is there an aftermarket or OEM option yet for these cars?

rjoffe
12-15-09, 03:27 PM
How many miles/track days to wear out a set ?

Silver -V-
12-15-09, 04:41 PM
About 12,500 miles, 14 track days and a broken pad to go through one rotor. The other rotor was able to be turned within tolerances.

I had a Brembo pad that was low, and when really driven hard in a track session, glazed the rotor, then re-heated and the pad actually broke under hard braking. The backing plate/mounts dug into the rotor face before I was able to get off track. The warning tip on the pads never touched the rotor even after the pad material broke away. There was never an audible warning.

Be careful on low pad depth (1/16") and don't trust the audible warning tips to warn you - it is my lesson and I should have known better.

rjoffe
12-15-09, 05:25 PM
How many sets of pads did you go trough on 14 track days ?

Silver -V-
12-15-09, 05:40 PM
2 sets

dvandentop
12-15-09, 06:04 PM
will be checking with cobalt friction to get some pads made for the car hopefully.

now if i can just talk some vette buddy engineers to make up some 2 piece rotors for front and rear that would be great :D

rjoffe
12-15-09, 06:11 PM
2 sets

Jeez, you really need to brake deeper and much harder :)

Silver -V-
12-15-09, 06:56 PM
Jeez, you really need to brake deeper and much harder :)

The custom gold colored calipers make it so you can brake later in a long straight.

I'm trying to figure out a vent/duct for the rear brakes now. I want to mount something near the side skirt with a duct blowing on the rear rotors/calipers. I also don't want it to hang too low, and look too ugly.

yooper
09-09-11, 01:33 AM
PerformanceAFX (815)254-2631 and ask for Bob.

I am looking for a set of front rotors for my car. I can't find any After Market rotors yet, and the dealer doesn't have any in stock. They are shipping overnight a rotor from Lansing, but the price is over $400.

Is there an aftermarket or OEM option yet for these cars?

dhpro
09-09-11, 11:56 AM
Call BAER...they make 15" 2pc slotted and drilled that fit...

M5eater
09-09-11, 04:29 PM
everyone knows the op is 2 years old correct?

baabootoo
09-10-11, 12:51 AM
You raced with a pad only 1/16" thick????????? I just checked, and my scraper will hit with at least 1/8" left, so I bent it even more to about 3/16" now.

MrMaschine
09-15-11, 05:43 PM
I have my local shop call Baer, yes they do show a listing on their site but they told my shop they werent sure if their 15 rotors fit, i think they do.

MrMaschine
09-15-11, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=yooper;2710552]PerformanceAFX (815)254-263

those look killer whats up with thsat funky slotting design? How much are these going for?

Are they cast domestic or China?

M5eater
09-15-11, 07:16 PM

those look killer whats up with thsat funky slotting design? How much are these going for?

There's only 1 supplier for the rotors-- brembo and they don't sell them separate from the hats. I would bet $$$ he's had them drilled

ChicagoV
09-15-11, 07:27 PM
Note regarding the rotors- they are not two piece, but they are made of two different types of metal- iron for the rotor and aluminum for the hat- that is where the "dual cast" comes from. At the Brembo presentation during the Cadillac performance lab, Brembo showed actual two piece rotors and they should be for sale at some point- in fact, the cars that Cadillac was using for the event were fitted with them.

ChicagoV
09-15-11, 07:28 PM
Also, the Brembo line at the performance lab was that they don't use drilling for venting as a first option because it increases pad wear.

M5eater
09-15-11, 07:30 PM
Note regarding the rotors- they are not two piece, but they are made of two different types of metal- iron for the rotor and aluminum for the hat- that is where the "dual cast" comes from. At the Brembo presentation during the Cadillac performance lab, Brembo showed actual two piece rotors and they should be for sale at some point- in fact, the cars that Cadillac was using for the event were fitted with them.

the slotted rotors he's talking about are in the picture are two piece rotors, you can get them through Brembo, it's suppliers and GM.

ChicagoV
09-15-11, 07:40 PM
Yes, sorry for the confusion- I was not speaking about the photos. I was just pointing out that if you want the general benefit of the two-piece rotor (the iron/aluminum) only, then you don't need to get two piece rotors, but if you are doing heavy track use and want to be able to replace the parts separately, that Brembo should have the two piece set-up for sale at some point (which I guess I just learned that they already do, per your post).

M5eater
09-15-11, 08:33 PM
Yes, sorry for the confusion- I was not speaking about the photos. I was just pointing out that if you want the general benefit of the two-piece rotor (the iron/aluminum) only, then you don't need to get two piece rotors, but if you are doing heavy track use and want to be able to replace the parts separately, that Brembo should have the two piece set-up for sale at some point (which I guess I just learned that they already do, per your post).

iirc, the 2 piece rotors also have more cooling veins as well as a different design of vein, I would hope also they have a higher amount of carbon in the iron rotors. Whatever the changes, people still crack them.

GMX322V S/C
09-15-11, 10:14 PM
Been hearing that since first release and I pre-ordered my '09...

GMX322V S/C
09-15-11, 10:19 PM
Also, the Brembo line at the performance lab was that they don't use drilling for venting as a first option because it increases pad wear.
At my lab last year, the Brembo rep cited cracking as the reason. To get "street" longevity, they actually would have to increase the weight to compensate. I'll take function over form in this case.

Jpjr
09-16-11, 06:14 AM
you guys do know that the brembo rotors are far superior to anything you would get from baer right? bear makes nice looking rotors and brembo makes ugly looking performance rotors. the best rotor you can buy is stock.

http://www.pixelmotion.com/customers/brembo-cadillac/

M5eater
09-16-11, 08:34 AM
neat site, haven't seen that one before..

I <3 how one of the bullets mentions 'standard seals'... on a 380mm 6-piston GT caliper..

yooper
09-16-11, 10:13 AM
These 2pc rotors are available from PerformanceAFX. They use a Coleman Racing ring with a choice of slot designs. They are domestic steel and Made in the USA, they are directional and properly vented for maximum air flow. That funky design option is what Cadillac Racing used on their V1 World Challenge cars, straight slot design is also available. The front rotors can be built with either fixed or floating mounting system to the aluminum hat.

I have been running PerformanceAFX 2pc rotors on my V1 with the V2 OEM six piston caliper. There are a couple threads in the V1 Performance section.

Give Bob a call at PerformanceAFX as he is not on the forum. (815)254-2631

yooper
09-16-11, 11:03 AM
PerformanceAFX has been supplying the Corvette community with a quality 2pc rotor upgrade. They are well respected on the Corvette Forum with many customers throughout the country. They have developed and are building 2pc rotors for the V1 community including a rotor that allows the V1 to use the OEM v2 calipers.

For those that are interested check out PerformanceAFX website and look at the C6 Z06 rotors, replacement rings, and hardware. I am not affiliated with PerformanceAFX but do reccomend you talk with Bob if you like to hit the road course hard. Cheers

http://shop.performanceafx.com/

[QUOTE=MrMaschine;2716813]
There's only 1 supplier for the rotors-- brembo and they don't sell them separate from the hats. I would bet $$$ he's had them drilled