: Lighted PRND-M on center console in automatics?

CTSVeee
12-15-09, 09:45 AM
On every car I've ever owned that was an automatic, the labels on the gear shifter on the center console were lighted. This way, you could actually see what gear you selected.

Obviously, a lot of cars have duplicate displays in the gauge cluster, including ours.

However, the PRND-M on my center console are not lit. Anyone else notice this?

Kadonny
12-15-09, 09:54 AM
Yeah, the shifter is not lit, never was. The gear is shown in the DIC on the instrument cluster in fairly large format so I don't think there is a need for the shifter to be lit.

wfo
12-15-09, 11:54 AM
CORRECT!! All lit up in the gauge cluster...the console is, where you instinctively look to verify correct gear selection, it's only natural.

I know, I know...this being a sport/luxury ride you'd think GM woulda gone ahead and lit the darn consol and while they were at it, stayed with plans to install ambient lights on all the floors too. But then this is GM. Go figure. We do love the car, but still scratch our heads and wonder...what were they thinking.

4DR_ZR1
12-15-09, 12:25 PM
:confused:
Why do you need it?
Surely you know when you are in Park or Reverse
That leaves N (not moving) or D (moving)

It would be nice on the 09s if it indicated what gear was engaged (non-manual position/Sport selection) in the DIC.
I thought I read where that was added to the 2010.

CTSVeee
12-15-09, 02:27 PM
Why do you need it?

It would be nice on the 09s if it indicated what gear was engaged (non-manual position/Sport selection) in the DIC.
I agree with you, it would be nice if the Sport mode showed the current gear in the DIC when not shifting manually.

Seriously, I can't think of another car I've been in where the center console gear shifter was not lit. It just seems odd on a 70k car.

Can anyone else think of another car where this is dark?

tedcmiller
12-15-09, 09:25 PM
It should be noted that the gear shift area is lighted (although the letters PRND-M +- are not lighted). There is a small LED (at least there is on 2009 CTS-Vs) in the top console that contains the mike, GDO, sun roof controls (if you have one), etc. This LED shines down on the gear shift in an "ambient" light fashion and should be present. If it is not, your car is missing something.

Baxman
12-15-09, 11:48 PM
Likely, small shortcuts like that, including no rear footwell ambient lighting, no daytime flash-to-pass, non-illuminated garage door buttons, and so on, allow GM to undercut pricing of the lesser-performing M5, XFR, or E63 AMG by $13-37K.

You can have a stylish, but slightly slower M5 with redundand gear section illumination, or an M5-beating V AND a new Camry for your wife. :thumbsup:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-16-09, 03:05 AM
Transmissions aren't supposed to have 'Park' in the first place... :D

Gotham CTS-V
12-16-09, 10:29 AM
Why do you need it?

I have no problems with it, but my girlfriend is totally stumped when it comes to gear selection. She always puts it in neutral when trying to go into reverse.

I do agree it was a bad idea and it wouldn't have hurt to just light it up.