: Anyone have experience with Contintenal Tires

jedhead
12-14-09, 03:26 PM
I am considering these tires to replace the OEM tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&frontTire=545YR8ECDWSXL&rearTire=74YR9ECDWS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2006&autoModel=STS-V&autoModClar=

Anyone have any experience with these tires?

Thanks.

Bob

PGA2B
12-14-09, 04:02 PM
I saw a set of them on a V that was for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago. That is a pretty good wear rating. I talked to my firend that owns Autowerkz (Wheels and Tires) in KCKS and he said this is a really good tire. BTW he has been in the tire business for 17 years. So I trust his opinion.

jedhead
12-14-09, 05:23 PM
Thank you for your input.

Bob

csf
12-14-09, 11:09 PM
I considered those tires also, but according to the person I spoke to at Tire Rack, he said while the Continentals are a great price and are better in snow and wet they are not quite as good as the Michelin and Bridgestone all seasons in the dry or in aggressive handling. He also was sure the Bridgestones would be the quietest of the three. So I bought the Bridgestones (RE960 Pole Position A/S) and will have them put on tommorrow. He also told me the Continentals in the 18's we need have been back ordered for months and there was no note in their computer when they might be in.

PSRmark
12-15-09, 09:35 AM
I don't have any personal experience with that specific model of tire, but a few years ago we had some problems with tire vibrations (road force) and noise from the Continental and Yokohama tires.

Whoever or wherever you buy tires from, ask them if they will warranty the tires out due to excessive road force.

-Mark

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 06:10 PM
The ExtremeContacts will be good for bad weather but will really be lacking in dry handling when compared to the stock tires...

jedhead
01-02-10, 03:46 AM
I have had these Continentals for 200 miles. The tires are so much better than stock in the rain. In the dry, the tires don't follow every groove in the road like the OEM's. They are also a more quiet than stock. In the dry, the tires will corner as well as the OEM, however the turn in is not as crisp and the sidewalls are a little softer. I will admit that the tires handle better than I expected for all seasons. On my other cars, I have used summer only tires

Bob

kblair3d
11-07-10, 09:53 AM
I considered those tires also, but according to the person I spoke to at Tire Rack, he said while the Continentals are a great price and are better in snow and wet they are not quite as good as the Michelin and Bridgestone all seasons in the dry or in aggressive handling. He also was sure the Bridgestones would be the quietest of the three. So I bought the Bridgestones (RE960 Pole Position A/S) and will have them put on tommorrow. He also told me the Continentals in the 18's we need have been back ordered for months and there was no note in their computer when they might be in.

curious ... did you put these on your car and after so long hows the wear. Considering these or the Continental's ExtremeContact

jedhead
11-07-10, 01:52 PM
The rears were at the wear bars at 12.5K. However I was able to convince America's Tire to honor the warranty as thought the tires were rotated. They gave me 65% off for new rear tires. I did get a set of Hankook Ventus V12 for the summer and they handle and stick great. I am not sure how long they will last.

Bob

PNBLWZD
11-12-10, 11:32 AM
I have a set of the Conti Extreme DWS on my V that were put on just before I bought the car. They are quiet and smooth riding, but not as sticky as I would like. Since I really don't need an all season radial here in So Cal as it's sunny 90% of the time, I am probably going to take them off and try one of the other Conti summer performance tires. These DWS only have about 4k miles on them and have the lifetime warrantee from Discount Tire still in effect. If anyone is interested in buying them send me a pm.

ssstealth
11-12-10, 02:17 PM
I have about 10,000 miles on a set of those tires right now and there is NO noticeable tread wear at all. I will confirm others' statements that these tires are not as sticky in dry handling. I am accepting this as a very fair trade not to have to replace them every 15,000 miles. They are excellent in the rain and are very quiet on the road. I now have a set of CTS-V rims to use for racing so the hard compound on these is fine for street use.

Florian
11-14-10, 06:01 PM
I have had a set for about 10K mi as well....I had a front that wouldnt balance, so I called TireRack and they sent me a new one, next day, no issue. Still had an issue with pulling on the right front, so an alignment was done.....then a second alignment....finally just switched sides and the pull went away. I think there was a bad batch, and I got some of em. Other than that, very quiet, great wear and good in the slop.

F

csf
11-14-10, 08:19 PM
curious ... did you put these on your car and after so long hows the wear. Considering these or the Continental's ExtremeContact

Sorry I just saw this question. I put those Bridgestones on about 10 months ago, but only have about 8000 miles on them. (Don't have more because of that last crazy winter with 72" of snow we had in Maryland)

I'm pleased with these "performance all seasons" so far - handling, quiet, and rain traction are all good. Smooth ride on good roads, rough roads are stiff but that may also be the suspension. No visible wear yet, inflated slightly less than factory specs. I think the Hankooks would handle better, the Continentals might do better in snow, and the Michelins might handle better . . . but these seem to be a great all around compromise. I'd buy them again for a tire you can push for some performance, use alll year, and not have to replace every 10,000 miles.

paranoid1123
12-14-10, 04:46 AM
What I've found in my v is no matter what tire you get it will wear on the inside front shoulder. I've had 4 different sets ( Pilot Sport A/S Plus- 20k, continental ExtremeContact DWS-15k, Pirelli stock-7k, Potenza RE960AS Pole Position-9k) all of the tires still had at least 50% of tread left some more but the inside shoulder ( first 2-3 inches) were showing metal. And because we can't rotate our tires the warranty dose not cover them. And it's not an alinement problem I have lifetime alinements from firestone auto and get an alinement once every other month or so just to be sure. So I've given up on finding "the best" tire for our car.