: Changing out Fuel Rail??

fristim
08-08-04, 12:27 AM
Anyone know the procedure for changing out the fuel rail on a 98 deville concours. If so would love to know. Thanks in advance guys.

eldorado1
08-08-04, 12:40 AM
This is how I would do it. It may not be "by the books", but it'll get the job done.

1. Remove beauty cover (4 nuts)
2. Relieve fuel pressure by locating schraeder valve (looks like a bike tire valve), placing a rag over it, and depressing the pin with something like a screw driver. Careful - if there is any pressure left, it will shoot gas all over. Better to leave it overnight first, or borrow a fuel pressure gauge that has a relieve valve built in.
3. Discard rag (now soaked with gasoline) somewhere safe where it won't burn.
4. Remove 8 injector electrical connectors (by squeezing the metal retainers in)
5. Disconnect fuel rail from fuel lines (you will probably need the quick-connect disconnectors)
6. CAREFULLY start pulling the tabs on the plastic retaining clips holding the fuel rail on the manifold. This may take some time and lots of wiggling.

Now that it's out, you can remove the fuel injectors by:
1. Removing the metal clips by sliding them off.
2. Remove the individual injectors by pulling/twisting them until they pop out.

Installation is the reverse of the removal. Make sure you get new rubber o-rings on those injectors, and lube them with engine oil before installation.

Oh - you will probably need to remove your throttle body/MAF/intake ductwork to get the fuel rail off the manifold.

fristim
08-08-04, 05:08 PM
Ok, few questions:
1. do i need new seals for both sides of the injector( upper connecting to the fuel rail, lower connecting to the intake manifold) ?
2. since my clips that hold the injector to the fuel rail dont seem to be easy to pull off I think I will have to pull the fuel rail with the injectors in place, unless you know something I dont?
3. Do I have to number the injector to the cylinder or does it matter?
4. Most importantly, do I have to meticulous about getting dirt in the injector and intake?

eldorado1
08-08-04, 06:43 PM
Ok, few questions:
1. do i need new seals for both sides of the injector( upper connecting to the fuel rail, lower connecting to the intake manifold) ?
2. since my clips that hold the injector to the fuel rail dont seem to be easy to pull off I think I will have to pull the fuel rail with the injectors in place, unless you know something I dont?
3. Do I have to number the injector to the cylinder or does it matter?
4. Most importantly, do I have to meticulous about getting dirt in the injector and intake?

1. Yes, don't want to have to do this twice, do you? ;)
2. Yes, you remove the rail with the injectors still on it, and take them off on your bench.
3. Nope, doesn't matter, they all (should) flow the same.
4. Yes, be very careful you don't drop anything into the intake, dust or dirt can score the cylinder walls. Don't get scared or anything, just be aware of it. Also take care not to get crap in your injectors (the top especially... the bottom can be hosed off with cleaner if it's got dirt on it.)

oh - a note about #1 - gm sells the seals in a pack of 16 (8 top, 8 bottom o-rings) I don't think you can get them any other way.

fristim
08-09-04, 02:57 PM
Hey thanks so much buddy. Hopefully my year will be part of the recall too!!

fristim
08-09-04, 05:39 PM
Ok I have another question, what would be the procedure for pulling the MAF sensor and throttle from the throttle body. It seems that my fuel rail is actually weilded together at the quick connect points. Thank you so much:)