: Now I HAVE to get my window fixed. My precious Judy was raped.

9ine3reefleet
12-12-09, 10:54 PM
I went out Friday morn (my birthday) to warm up the car to get her ready for our daily 30 mile commute to work to find my 300 dollar radio half-snatched out and my work laptop tp be gone. Hell of birthday present. The young punk just rolled my back window down as it is broken and hadnt gotten a chance to fix it because everytime I get ready to the money has to be put towards other things. This Christmas however, I will not wait any longer and not only will have to get my window fixed but will have to get a quality alarm system. The fact of paying someone 400 dollars to fix my window just seems very unrpractical and am in desperate search to find someone who can. Now I cant park over here at my girlfriends apartment (where I spend most of my time) again until I get it fixed, hell even now I am over here but my car is at home in the garage.
If I knew who it was, man o man :blasted:

jayoldschool
12-12-09, 11:16 PM
You can fix that window yourself. It should be easy. Get the door panel off, and you likely only have to replace 5 dollars worth of window rollers...

HUF
12-12-09, 11:25 PM
I went out Friday morn (my birthday) to warm up the car to get her ready for our daily 30 mile commute to work to find my 300 dollar radio half-snatched out and my work laptop tp be gone. Hell of birthday present. The young punk just rolled my back window down as it is broken and hadnt gotten a chance to fix it because everytime I get ready to the money has to be put towards other things. This Christmas however, I will not wait any longer and not only will have to get my window fixed but will have to get a quality alarm system. The fact of paying someone 400 dollars to fix my window just seems very unrpractical and am in desperate search to find someone who can. Now I cant park over here at my girlfriends apartment (where I spend most of my time) again until I get it fixed, hell even now I am over here but my car is at home in the garage.
If I knew who it was, man o man :blasted:
So, you left the laptop on the seat?

9ine3reefleet
12-13-09, 11:35 AM
You can fix that window yourself. It should be easy. Get the door panel off, and you likely only have to replace 5 dollars worth of window rollers...

Thats also a likely option. Any advice or help from you guys to complete this is warranted and welcomed.

9ine3reefleet
12-13-09, 11:40 AM
So, you left the laptop on the seat?

Might as well had, the floor. I forgot it with my handful the first go round and with my girlfriends apt being 4 flights of steps I opted not to go back out until the next morn when it was time to go back to work. If my trunk was working like it was supposed to I probably would have out it in there.

jayoldschool
12-13-09, 02:09 PM
Ok, here is how to do it. I can't type it up any better than this, so may as well give you the link. I will save you some time, though: I don't drill out the armrest rivets. There is enough room to do it on the Caprice/Impala/Roamaster, so on the Cadillac with the longer doors, you should have lots of room. I have done this a few times, so feel free to ask questions...

Fix your window (http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=232364&highlight=window+roller)

9ine3reefleet
12-13-09, 06:32 PM
Ok, here is how to do it. I can't type it up any better than this, so may as well give you the link. I will save you some time, though: I don't drill out the armrest rivets. There is enough room to do it on the Caprice/Impala/Roamaster, so on the Cadillac with the longer doors, you should have lots of room. I have done this a few times, so feel free to ask questions...

Fix your window (http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=232364&highlight=window+roller)

Dammit Jay, you're a freagin lifesaver. Me and pops are tackling this this weekend wish us luck.

jayoldschool
12-13-09, 07:38 PM
It's a two beer job. BTW, I use vise grips on the rears, but I have to use the C clamp on the fronts.

outsider
12-14-09, 10:46 AM
sucks man...atleast they didn't smash the window

DopeStar 156
12-14-09, 12:10 PM
It's a two beer job. BTW, I use vise grips on the rears, but I have to use the C clamp on the fronts.

Ha! "two beer job." Nice.....

96Fleetwood
12-14-09, 01:09 PM
:thumbsup:

priceless!

9ine3reefleet
12-15-09, 01:37 AM

Is it really that much of a bitch?

jayoldschool
12-15-09, 02:27 PM
I meant, it will get done in the amount of time it takes to have a couple of beers. I know most of you got it ;)

9ine3reefleet
12-15-09, 11:55 PM
I meant, it will get done in the amount of time it takes to have a couple of beers. I know most of you got it ;)

Um, I think everyone got it Jay, but were saying like its more of a 6 pack job instead of a two beer. For me, probably a 12 pack job.

brougham_geezer
12-16-09, 12:30 AM

So, one window-fix would leave me with a hangover. :shhh:

brougham_geezer = cheap drunk.

jayoldschool
12-16-09, 10:57 AM
If it is a 6 or twelve pack job, I can guarantee that taking it apart will be easier that putting it back together :D

9ine3reefleet
05-09-11, 10:27 AM
A year-and-a-half later and I am FINALLY tackling this issue. My other rear window is broken now and I am extra motivated. After having to go into the window myself and "quick-fix" the new messed up window. I saw it wasnt that bad (paid 50 for a guy to "quick-fix" the first one). I have my rollers coming in this weekend and cant wait to fix the windows. The guy wanted 250 for one window so I know he would want 5 for both. No can do! Wish me luck and I'll keep you updated.

outsider
05-09-11, 11:32 AM
good luck, man! shouldn't be that hard :)

Barrister_07101
05-10-11, 07:18 PM
Good luck

Stingroo
05-10-11, 07:22 PM
Rollers don't look TOO bad. Not $500 bad at least.

Good luck.

9ine3reefleet
05-11-11, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the "luck" guys. Dont be suprised if I get on this thing as I am in the process. Sting, you're right $500 dollars for windows and a wedding in July dont mix too well

9ine3reefleet
05-14-11, 07:35 PM
Guys guys guys. I started on the window at 2:00 and it is now 6:30. After melting the old guides out (yea I melted them out) at about 3:30 I spent the next 3 hours trying to get the new rollers in. I tried everything but it not "rolling" in the slides. I greased it but no not rolling. Anybody else run into this problem? Any ideas? Im dilligent but my patience is running short. Thanks guys. Im going back to work some more and Ill check back.

P.S. I told you guys I be contacting you while on the job.

jayoldschool
05-14-11, 07:41 PM
You need to open the end of the tracks up a bit to slide the rollers in.

9ine3reefleet
05-14-11, 09:07 PM
Thanks Jay. Those were one of the first things I did. Getting past that rivet was a BEAST though. I just used the c-clamp to press it in a bit more once it cleared the rivet. I slid the second roller through the same opening and that used more elbow grease to get it pass but once it did, it rolled fine. The rest is history. 6 1/2 hours of work!! Wow!! And I still have to do the other window. However, it better not take me no dawg-on 6 1/2 hours to complete. Thanks guys for the wishes, they obviously helped.

Stingroo
05-14-11, 09:45 PM
Good god.

Think of the money you saved though. :)