: Samsung LED TV

CadillacCastle
12-12-09, 08:43 AM
My TV color started going from black and white back to color so I finally got a new TV. I was lucky and went by Sears on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and black Friday. I looked at 15 different TVs plasmas, LCDs and a LED at Sears. I bought a Samsung LED 46" TV, it was on sale for 1599.00 with 900.00 off. It is now 2499.00 regular price. Friday I had dishnetwork install a high def receiver and the TV quality came alive then. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a TV that size. I was looking at a 55" Samsung LED TV but it was 4060.00. I have Sony surround speakers hooked up that improved the sound. I bought a Samsung blu-ray at Walmart and got it home and it had a big scratch across the front so I returned it and got my money back. I think Walmart has a lot of repacked and discontinued items. I decided to wait and buy a blu-ray at another store a week after Christmas when the stores have the big sales. I bought a HDMI cable for the blu-ray and got it home and found out it needed a USB wireless adapter that was not included. Does anyone have a preference on which blu-ray is the best?

ted tcb
12-12-09, 09:18 PM
Great TV.

240hz is amazing on some feeds, a bit squirrely on others.

I love the black levels and slim design.
The contrast levels, especially whites like a hockey game, are impressive.

Only flaw that bothers me is the viewing angle. It is narrow, and the tv becomes opaque when viewed from the side.

Enjoy, you've purchased a great TV at a great price.

Mark0101
12-13-09, 05:10 PM
I have a PS3 as my blu ray player. PS3 is one of the BEST Blu-ray players on the market. BTW congrats on your purchase.

CadillacCastle
12-13-09, 11:38 PM
Great TV.

240hz is amazing on some feeds, a bit squirrely on others.

I love the black levels and slim design.
The contrast levels, especially whites like a hockey game, are impressive.

Only flaw that bothers me is the viewing angle. It is narrow, and the tv becomes opaque when viewed from the side.

Enjoy, you've purchased a great TV at a great price. my tv has 120 hz and I do nothave any viewing trouble at a side angle. I don't see any diference looking at the TV from the sides. I am only having trouble finding a TV stand that is not glass or particle board.

ted tcb
12-14-09, 03:38 PM
I've spent considerable time with the 240hz version, Samsung UN46B8000.
On some Blue Rays, the 240hz can be almost out of syn ... keep in mind that film stock is 24 frames per second, and this tv
processes that rate to 240hz.
In certain scenes, think darker scenes, this LED set has an inferior viewing angle to Samsung's PN50B850 ultrathin plasma.
I have had the two tv's side by side for 3 months in my store, and their is no comparison in viewing angles ... the plasma is superior.

Don't get me wrong ... both tv's have their place. I watch a lot of HD hockey, and I prefer the brighter white ice on the Samsung LED.
I would be happy to have either tv in my home.

Enjoy your tv, you got a great deal on a very nice product.

The Tony Show
12-14-09, 05:46 PM
LEDs have better black levels than LCD, but still not quite as good as plasma. Anyone buying an LCD should be aware that there are two types- edge lit and back lit. Back lit is better, but substantially more expensive.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the TV. The best advice I can give anyone with a hot new set is to run the TV for about 200 hours to break it in, then either pay for professional calibration (best) or order a blu-ray calibration disc (still good). You'd be shocked how screwy all the factory settings are, but they're designed to look good on a showroom floor. The extreme contrast and colors make you go "WOW!" when you walk past it in the store, but actually provide terrible color reproduction and contrast in your home. To get the best "true" image, it needs to be calibrated with test patterns and a color filter.

Check out my (brief) thread on the topic here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/158457-attention-hdtv-owners.html

CadillacCastle
12-15-09, 03:32 AM
I've spent considerable time with the 240hz version, Samsung UN46B8000.
On some Blue Rays, the 240hz can be almost out of syn ... keep in mind that film stock is 24 frames per second, and this tv
processes that rate to 240hz.
In certain scenes, think darker scenes, this LED set has an inferior viewing angle to Samsung's PN50B850 ultrathin plasma.
I have had the two tv's side by side for 3 months in my store, and their is no comparison in viewing angles ... the plasma is superior.

Don't get me wrong ... both tv's have their place. I watch a lot of HD hockey, and I prefer the brighter white ice on the Samsung LED.
I would be happy to have either tv in my home.

Enjoy your tv, you got a great deal on a very nice product. My TV is the UN46B6000 120hz not the 240hz. My eyes aren't the best from welding many years but I can not see any difference from looking at the TV from the sides and it may be the place where it is in the end of my living room. My brother has a older 600hz Samsung 50" with a good picture but with the lights on I can see every light and lamp in the room on in the TV screen which I don't on my TV and that may be the way the lights are from. I am happy with it because I had a 14 year old 27" Magnavox with the color going out, good color one day and black and white the next.

CadillacCastle
12-15-09, 03:58 AM
LEDs have better black levels than LCD, but still not quite as good as plasma. Anyone buying an LCD should be aware that there are two types- edge lit and back lit. Back lit is better, but substantially more expensive.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the TV. The best advice I can give anyone with a hot new set is to run the TV for about 200 hours to break it in, then either pay for professional calibration (best) or order a blu-ray calibration disc (still good). You'd be shocked how screwy all the factory settings are, but they're designed to look good on a showroom floor. The extreme contrast and colors make you go "WOW!" when you walk past it in the store, but actually provide terrible color reproduction and contrast in your home. To get the best "true" image, it needs to be calibrated with test patterns and a color filter.

Check out my (brief) thread on the topic here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/158457-attention-hdtv-owners.html I started out wanting the back lit 55" Samsung and almost bought one. I would have had to drive 120 miles to Plano to see one in the store at Best Buy and it was 4060.00. I decided I shouldn't spend that much when I saw the 46" in Sears on sale for 1599.00 plus tax. I do want to get it calibrated by a professional because I do not know how. I bought the only one in the store and it was on display and the sales lady was messing with the color settings to show me how many settings it had and I don't think she was qualified to adjust it. In the store it was hooked up to Dishnetwork with 15 other TVS to the same chain of cables and connections. It looked the best in the store but much better when I got home with the High Def receiver hooked up. I don't know where to even find someone who can calibrate the settings with test patterns and a color filter in this small town, the Sears store is not a full grown store, it mainly sells lawn mowers, appliances, tools and TVs. I may have to buy a blu-ray calibration disc. The main thing I have noticed is that football games have the best HD quality. I've never seen football helmets shine like they do on my TV. I did buy a new Belkin surge protector for lightening strikes. Thanks for all of the advice.

The Tony Show
12-15-09, 09:17 AM
If you want to do a basic calibration and can't find a Pro near you, pop in one of your DVDs that has the THX Certified logo on it. Most Spielberg and Lucas movies have this (such as Terminator 2, Titanic, Star Wars, Close Encounters, etc), and they'll have a THX Optimizer you can run. It will show a series of test patterns and have you adjust the brightness, sharpness, contrast, color and tint- just follow the instructions. The only special tool you'll need to adjust the tint and color is a pair of blue filter glasses, which you can buy HERE (http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/blueGlasses.html). If you order a special calibration DVD (like the one I mentioned in the other thread), color filters are included.

This should give you a better picture than what it has now, without spending a bunch of extra money on an in-home calibration.

CadillacCastle
12-16-09, 05:03 AM
If you want to do a basic calibration and can't find a Pro near you, pop in one of your DVDs that has the THX Certified logo on it. Most Spielberg and Lucas movies have this (such as Terminator 2, Titanic, Star Wars, Close Encounters, etc), and they'll have a THX Optimizer you can run. It will show a series of test patterns and have you adjust the brightness, sharpness, contrast, color and tint- just follow the instructions. The only special tool you'll need to adjust the tint and color is a pair of blue filter glasses, which you can buy HERE (http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/blueGlasses.html). If you order a special calibration DVD (like the one I mentioned in the other thread), color filters are included.

This should give you a better picture than what it has now, without spending a bunch of extra money on an in-home calibration. Thanks for the advive Tony. I am ordering the glasses you recommended. I appreciate the help.

ted tcb
12-16-09, 09:53 AM
Your brothers tv is a Samsung plasma with regular glass, hence the reflections.
Some manufacturers, ie Panasonic, offer anti glare glass which make a substantial difference.

By the way, that 600hz plasma rating is misleading ... the small print reads 6006z, comprised of 10 subfields.
In other words, it is a basic 606hz set.

I much prefer live action on your LED, 120hz set.

CadillacCastle
12-16-09, 11:14 AM
Your brothers tv is a Samsung plasma with regular glass, hence the reflections.
Some manufacturers, ie Panasonic, offer anti glare glass which make a substantial difference.

By the way, that 600hz plasma rating is misleading ... the small print reads 6006z, comprised of 10 subfields.
In other words, it is a basic 606hz set.

I much prefer live action on your LED, 120hz set. My brothers is a 720 the1080i was not even made then. He swears up and down he has the best for the money but when he bought it, it cost a lot back then. He is so convinced in his TV that his son and daughter have the same tv in a 42". And he even convinced my 88 year old dad to buy the same 720 but my dads is only 2 months old and on a low quality cable TV connection. Dad is happy because he can't see that good and my brother picked it out for him. Dad won't get a dishnetwork system because it has a dish. As he got older he thinks different, he always happy to say he has only been in walmart one time. He doesn't like it because walmart does not push his grocery cart to his car after buying a buggy full of groceries. I think 2 remotes would really get him confused. If he is happy I am happy. I feel lucky he is still alive watching football and western cowboy movies. He still mowes his yard with a self propelled lawn mower mowing the front one day and the side another day. He has the money to pay someone but he won't and my hip and back pain will not even let me mow his or my own yard on a riding mower. I have to pay someone. Sorry I got off topic.

ted tcb
12-16-09, 11:40 AM
You're fortunate to have your dad with you, especially at this time of the year.

CadillacCastle
12-17-09, 05:23 PM
You're fortunate to have your dad with you, especially at this time of the year. Thanks ted tcb, Yes I em very lucky to have my dad still here at 88. He was born in 1921, been through WW2 for 5 years, he was a radio repairman in the 927th battalion of the Army, on a LST ship that was bombed, he went to Casa Blanca North Africa on the USS Monterey ship then to Sicily, Italy, Southern France, and Germany when the war ended. He came back through England and New Foundland. The USS Monterey he was on had 3000 troops. There was 2 ships named the USS Monterey and I can't figure out which ship he was on. He planned to not get a job when the war ended for 2 months but he was offered a job at the Post Office and went to work 1 month later and worked there for 34 years and retired. I think his good health is because he walked for almost all of his 34 years at the Post Office. I wish I could find some of the men he was with in the Army. I did find his Sergeant Harlin I Dohner on the internet but he died about 2002 in New York. He went to the eye Doctor today and he had no problems. The Doctor discontinued the eye drops he was taking. I am very grateful for him and being the best dad I could ever want. I wish the best for everyone. Jeff

Jesda
12-17-09, 07:37 PM
I hate post-processing. I like TV to look like TV and film to look like film, blurry motion and all.