: I need help!!!

Love my eldorado
12-12-09, 02:59 AM
I have a 1994 Cadillac eldorado and what happened was my gears started going out at first it was the third gear then the second and now it doesn't shift past 40 mph. I had a guy replace the tranny and it still is doing the same thing. I had some one tell me it was the PCM or the powertrain thing? I was wondering where that is located (please don't say the inside the tranny lol) and if that is the problem for sure? Also wondering if that part is expensive? I have already dumped over 400 into just replacing the tranny thinking my fiancee knew what he was doing when he hired some one haha boy was I wrong! Any help advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. My dad said it could also be stuck in limp mode? :cloud9:

Krashed989
12-12-09, 06:50 AM
First pull the codes. Press and hold the OFF and warmer (red) buttons until the dashboard lights up. It will then start displaying the codes. Have a pencil and paper ready. Once it reaches "PCM?" you can either press the OFF button once to have it repeat the codes, or you can turn the key off to exit diagnostics mode. once you have the codes, post them up here and we can help you better.

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is located behind the glovebox. To get to it you have to take out the under-dash panel on the passenger side.

zonie77
12-12-09, 12:59 PM
Not shifting is usually the solenoids sticking. They do not always give a code. If it was just a used trans they could be bad too.

The other thing to check is the electrical connector going into the trans. Make sure it isn't corroded or a pin pushed out.

Love my eldorado
12-12-09, 08:53 PM
Thank you here are the codes.

so11 history
so12 history
so17 history
so36 history
po29 history
po94 history
po109 history
no IPC codes
no ACP codes
No Sir codes
No TCs codes
so38 current
PCM?

There is a cord by my transmission it has a black coil type of plastic around it and inside which I can see cuz has the coil is split there is a bunch of little wires all different colors I think I seen yellow purple and things like that and it looks like it has oil or some sort of fluid on them. I couldnt see what that cord was going to ? I also tried to check my tranny fluid with that thing that says transmission fluid and there was nothing on the dipstick but the guy who fixed my car was suppose to put new fluid in with the fluid money I gave him?

Love my eldorado
12-12-09, 09:16 PM
Also the tranny we did have put in was a used one and I guess ours was falling apart so what the guy did was on the used one he took parts from ours and put them together with the used one we bought so everything on the tranny should be good. I can't remember all the things he said he replaced but I think it was valve something and a few other things. He said the problem is one of two thing and they are both electrical either internal shift controler or its the main control module. Which I am not sure he knew what he was doing it took sunday to thursday for him to try and fix it still doesn't work so I just said screw it and took my car home. (The neighborhood was horrible) I think the guy had done a transmission before but I kind of got the idea he had never done a cadillac before!

zonie77
12-12-09, 10:15 PM
Under these circumstances it's really hard to tell you what to do or check. We can help if you have some knowledge of repairing cars but when someone took the two transmissions and swapped parts we have no idea what he did.

Did you check the trans fluid with the car running? It has to be running to check the level.

Not sure if you are looking at the right connector. It should be clean and you have to disconnect it to check the inside connectors. If you can do that can your Dad handle it?

Love my eldorado
12-12-09, 10:44 PM
Yeah I am not too sure what he did either and he got pretty pissed that I took my car back. No I checked it when the car was off so I will have to check it when its running. My dad is actually in Arizona and I am in washington he was a GM mechanic for 17 years and just recently went back to it so he knows quite a bit but I just wanted to get some outside advice. I would have no idea what to unplug I am pretty clueless about cars for some reason I can't remember anything useful my dad taught me but good thing I can read lol or I would be totally useless when it comes to cars. :) My fiancee's dad is pretty crafty with cars which is a lot of the reason for me posting this is to try and get some other suggestions and see if maybe he can help or try some things.

Love my eldorado
12-12-09, 11:09 PM
I think I understand what those codes mean I am getting the information from here. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html#dia this is the correct place to look? They are pretty much saying my solenoids are bad hard to replace?

Love my eldorado
12-13-09, 12:07 AM
To update I reset my codes and will have to wait when I can drive it to see which codes still come up. I am starting to think it was just the speed sensor to begin with and now a whole bunch of problems are caused because I had that guy replace the tranny. I hope not thanks for all your guy's help!

To give def for the codes before I reset them they are
Po29 transaxle shift B solenoid problem
Po94 transaxle shift A solenoid problem
P109 Keep alive reset/PCM lost vehicle speed sensor
S011 left front solenoid short to ground
So12 not found
So17 not found
So36 level control compressor short

zonie77
12-13-09, 02:03 AM
If you are getting codes either solenoids are bad or wiring is bad. The computer only knows they are there by the electricity flowing through them. If the circuit is open then you get a code. The computer really doesn't know where the problem is, just that there is a problem on that circuit. That makes it harder to troubleshoot when someone's just worked on it.

On a scale of 1-10, changing sparkplugs on the N* = 1 and Headgaskets and case reseal being a 10 (my scaling) I'd make the solenoids a 4. My rating it there because it's a messy job, small parts, you have to be careful repairing the valve body, and you need either experience or perseverance.

There are threads that give the instructions but I do not have them bookmarked.

I think it's time to talk to your Dad and see if he knows someone near you that he can recommend. The price range seems to be $300-$900. The higher end is NOT a fair price. Get an estimate ahead of time.

The one issue is the guy who changed parts, if he screwed something up the next shop will rightfully charge more to fix it.

Love my eldorado
12-13-09, 08:08 AM
Thank you I do agree I messed up not doing research before hiring this guy. My dad did give me some people I could go to I just have to wait until monday to get ahold of them but they are first on my list or I have another guy who is going to charge 30/hr up to 200 max no matter the problem and he knows what he is doing funny thing is he was our first choice but he wouldnt pull the tranny from the wrecking yard so my fiancee went with the second choice instead of him I regret every penny of it. Thank you very much for all the advice it's time I get to know my car and with this situation I should have been on this board in the first place! Thanks so much!

zonie77
12-13-09, 04:24 PM
Please come back and let us know what fixes your car.

Love my eldorado
12-14-09, 06:23 AM
Hello! Well just to update I had some one drive my car and so far it is going over 40 just fine! I guess it slipped a tiny bit but it works fine. What fixed it was resetting my codes which was so easy! Thank you guys so much for your help I will turn here before even thinking of hiring someone to fix my car again or even touch it! :worship: Thank you again!

Krashed989
12-15-09, 04:37 AM
You should make sure you have all of the gears by going into diagnostics mode and doing the "PCM OVERRIDE?" function.

Here's how:
1. Start the engine
2. Go into diagnostics mode
3. When it says "PCM?" press the fan up button
4. Press the fan down button until you reach "PCM OVERRIDE?" and press the fan up button to enter that submenu
5. Press the fan up or down button until you reach "PS11" (transaxle override)
6. Start driving but be careful because you now have a manual transmission. Cooler (blue)= upshift, Warmer (red)= Downshift
7. There are 4 gears, which means you should feel it shift 3 times.
8. After you go through all of the gears a couple times, turn the engine off and check to see if any codes came back.

Here are some other interesting things you can do with the "PCM OVERRIDE?" function:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/171263-pcm-override-functions-obd-i.html

tateos
12-15-09, 02:31 PM
You should make sure you have all of the gears by going into diagnostics mode and doing the "PCM OVERRIDE?" function.

Here's how:
1. Start the engine
2. Go into diagnostics mode
3. When it says "PCM?" press the fan up button
4. Press the fan down button until you reach "PCM OVERRIDE?" and press the fan up button to enter that submenu
5. Press the fan up or down button until you reach "PS11" (transaxle override)
6. Start driving but be careful because you now have a manual transmission. Cooler (blue)= upshift, Warmer (red)= Downshift
7. There are 4 gears, which means you should feel it shift 3 times.
8. After you go through all of the gears a couple times, turn the engine off and check to see if any codes came back.

Here are some other interesting things you can do with the "PCM OVERRIDE?" function:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/171263-pcm-override-functions-obd-i.html

Very cool info Krashed!

Love my eldorado
12-16-09, 04:32 AM
Thank you but honestly I would probably screw it up! My fiancee is the only one who would know when to shift and all that but he won't be around for awhile! It actually went all the way up to 60. I cannot drive either I haven't got my license but tomorrow is the big day so we will see!

Love my eldorado
12-17-09, 06:36 AM
Ok so I just kinda wanted to update again :( I wish I didn't have to but yeah check engine light is coming on after 40, the car smells horrible after I turn it off like burning fluid! and It just seems like it has a high idle I was able to drive it today and I pulled the codes again well it said that P029 I think was current but a P097 code came up that was history which is High RPM P/N to D/R Shift I kind of googled it but didn't really find out much. I checked my codes quickly and couldn't remember the rest but I will post them tomorrow. I was able to get my car up to 50 but that was the fastest I could take it I didn't want to get pulled on my first day of having my License and it stayed a little after the 2 mark while at about 40 or so I dunno if that is normal? This sucks...

Love my eldorado
12-17-09, 02:01 PM
These are the ones that are appearing

Po29 history Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear)

P097 High RPM P/N to D/R Shift

SO12 history no definition
so17 history no definition

Krashed989
12-17-09, 02:04 PM
P029 (E029) - Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear)
P097 (E097) - High RPM Park/Neutral to Drive/Reverse Shift

You have some interesting problems. How high is the idle?... I don't think you're getting all of the gears.

Love my eldorado
12-19-09, 05:02 AM
So maybe i lost what ever gear is past 60mph? That I have no idea because no one has been able to take it over 60 with the weather and how many cops we have around here I took it up to 50 with no problem but after that I don't know. The idle when parked is at about 1 or a little past I don't think that is normal I really have no idea tho I just for some reason think that. I honestly have no idea what gear its in going 60 or 50 or anything like that I should know but unfortunately I don't :) From me driving it it goes 10 20 30 40 and 50 and all the in between great but I am worried about those codes. I am having my father in law take a look tomorrow so he might be able to fix that P097 code and the solenoid he might be able to depends on where it's located and for some reason I can't find any diagrams or anything that can tell me:( do you know where the solenoid is located like where in my car?

Krashed989
12-20-09, 05:46 AM
What RPM is the engine at when you're at 60?.... The car can handle doing 60 in 2nd gear

A normal idle speed is about 750rpms. You may have a vacuum leak causing the idle to be high.

The solenoid is in the transmission. You have to drop the pan, then take out the filters and valve body to get to it.

Love my eldorado
12-23-09, 06:42 PM
I will have to see what the rpm is the most I could probably go it 50 even that is kind of pushing it (cops around here are on speeders!) I took my car to AAMCO and well.... they told me everything I already know then wanted me to drop my car off another day and pay 192 just for them to dig deeper. I am pretty sure it's just the solenoid and yeah I probably have a leak or something of the sort My father in law still hasn't been able to get over here and look at it so... I guess I will find out do you have any idea how long a solenoid would take to replace and a reasonable price to pay? This is frustrating lol... thank you so much for your help tho!

Love my eldorado
12-24-09, 06:02 AM
Ok I took my car up to 55-60 mph it is not shifting! The rpms were at 3.5-4 and the car got shaky and smelled really really bad. When I pulled my codes while driving it said p029 was current? s012 current so17 current but to72 was history I have yet to look up that code but I am confused as to why my codes are different between when I just start it and when I actually drive it. I still have to have it checked for a leak my father in law briefly looked at it but I will know more on christmas after he takes a deeper look. ok to72 said this code TO72:Serial Data Link Fault. I have no clue what that means? I am also wondering if the solenoid i need is called a shift solenoid? and would it be better to buy a whole transmission or just the valve body? Also wondering what would happen if I kept driving it the way it is I rarely go anywhere but it would still be nice to know. Sorry for all the questions :) By the way when I walked into AAMCo telling them all I know they were shocked like jaw dropping shocked I said I asked some people online thats how I know LOL. It was pretty funny. Oh also the check engine light came on about 40 again but I noticed it when I was going up an incline both times it came on and the car kind of well it felt really weird like it down shifted or some thing but very odd like.

Krashed989
12-24-09, 04:43 PM
They are called shift solenoids. There are only 2 of them, labeled "A" and "B". You can buy a shift solenoid kit from the dealer... or probably even from AAMCO. The updated kit comes with a bracket for the filter that needs to be installed.

It sounds like your shift "B" solenoid is bad (or the wiring to it is bad) and you're stuck in 2nd gear.

Love my eldorado
12-24-09, 06:29 PM
I found a valve body kit that is 60.00 and it said this for the description YOU ARE BIDDING ON A FACTORY REMANUFACTURED VALVE BODY THAT FITS 1994-1995 ELDORADO,SEVILLE,DEVILLE VINS Y,B,9 AND 1995 OLDS AURORA VIN C, THIS IS NEW IN BOX COMPLETE WITH SOLENOID AND SWITCH. E MAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY FITMENT QUESTIONS.SHIPPING WILL BE 13.95 IN THE LOWER 48 STATES Then I asked if that is what I need and he replied this. yes it does contain a new shift solenoid as well as 2 other switches. i will guarantee this .it is clean rust free in original factory package. this is new old stock and no longer available from cadillac.

Will this have everything that I need if it is the solenoid?

Love my eldorado
12-31-09, 04:53 AM
Ok scratch that I took my car back to a different AAMco and they said that my car slips right off the bat and that there are some things that are disconnected that should be connected (I don't know where but yea) they are suggesting a rebuild... this stinks!

chubbyranger
12-31-09, 08:02 AM
AAMCO always suggests a rebuild because that's where they make their money and the only way they offer their generally worthless warranty. If they found things disconnected is their a reason they can't reconnect them? If it is a wiring problem a rebuild will not solve anything short of adding cost to the job.

Krashed989
12-31-09, 05:20 PM
:yeah:

They just want your money. You probably just need a solenoid kit (GM part #24211355, $50 at GMpartsdirect (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/) ). Either that or you just need to investigate wiring.

stoveguyy
01-01-10, 08:18 PM
why are you looking to buy another valve body for parts? use the valve body from tranny #1. and the solenoids too. what did you do with tranny #1? this thread is funny. you payed a bum to swap trannys and who knows what is unhooked now. and you want to find parts to fix your shaky tranny #2? i would be flat out surprised if you ever get this thing fixed.

cl1986
01-05-10, 08:10 PM
I cant seem to find any parts for the tranny at gmpartsdirect

all i found was the pan, some seal, and a fitler, doesnt even tell you what it is....

Krashed989
01-06-10, 08:01 PM
Yeah the catalog at gmpartsdirect sucks... I usually go to rockauto first, then look at the AC Delco part# before going to gmpartsdirect to compare the price (by entering just the part#).

Love my eldorado
01-14-10, 07:47 AM
why are you looking to buy another valve body for parts? use the valve body from tranny #1. and the solenoids too. what did you do with tranny #1? this thread is funny. you payed a bum to swap trannys and who knows what is unhooked now. and you want to find parts to fix your shaky tranny #2? i would be flat out surprised if you ever get this thing fixed.

Yeah me too you want to fix it! This is my first real car so lets give me a break here hey I was smart enough to research possible causes eh? I eventually will stop wasting time and money I just hope sooner then never lol :)

zonie77
01-14-10, 09:39 PM
You, or someone, needs to go over the wiring and see what may have been cut. Then repair all those wires, either by soldering, or by crimp connectors.

It isn't that hard and it may get the trans working OK. Good luck!

Love my eldorado
01-15-10, 03:30 AM
You, or someone, needs to go over the wiring and see what may have been cut. Then repair all those wires, either by soldering, or by crimp connectors.

It isn't that hard and it may get the trans working OK. Good luck!

thank you!

Love my eldorado
12-02-10, 10:59 PM
Well my issue with the high idle was a leaking air intake (umm I think that's the name) and shift solenoids thanks for all the help only cost me $400 :).

jimsbox
12-05-10, 10:51 AM
Congratulations, you earned a gold star for perseverence! Now enjoy your car.