: 93 Fleetwood: Wierd sound and feel from rear end?

CADDYDADDY13
12-12-09, 01:22 AM
ok, so i was driving my 93 fleetwood and I noticed a very strange thing with the car, and it has made me very nervous!
when I'm driving at speeds under 50mph the car rides fine and smooth as can be. But when i get up over 50 mph, and then slow down to under 50, then accelerate again,(also when climbing a hill) the car kind of makes a wierd kind of clunk sound and feels like it is bucking(almost like im going over big bumps) in the rear end......
when i get back under 50 it doesn't do it and runs fine. But when I accelerate over 50 she keeps doing it.
No lights are on, she has under 60k miles on her. I don't know what the heck is going on? It definately seems like it has something to do with the rear end of the car? She shifts fine. Could it be the differential? Driveshaft? Worse?:annoyed:
I thought maybe it was a one time thing, but it has happened 4 times now.
And i'm afraid to drive her(i don't want to make things worse)
Anyone had similar problems?

Aron9000
12-12-09, 02:46 AM
u-joints???

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-12-09, 07:42 PM
^ That's what I'm thinking as well. Go under the car and give the driveshaft a twist. There should be a little (only a few thousandths of an inch) play in the rear end, but none in the U-joints. If you can hear them clunking they are definitely in need of replacement. Also look for black stains where the grease may heave leaked out. That happens when the seals dry up and go bad, which causes premature failure. This is very possible since its an older car in a location with a varied climate.