: smokes on startup

Cadi Cat
12-11-09, 11:12 PM
Only occurs during the cold winters on cold start-ups. But NEVER happens in the summer. Anyone's Catera do this? Know why?

AHazzardToAll
12-12-09, 12:21 AM
It's not smoke, just condensation. Don't worry. If it was "smoking" it would do it in warm weather also.

CateraMV6
12-12-09, 06:44 AM
Cold weather I guess causes some of the rubber seals on the valves to shrink and somehow they allow a tiny amount of oil to seep past the seal and when you start up you get that puff of smoke...

Mine does it too, and it happened after I switched to synthetic... does not hinder performance, it just looks odd when you start the car. Also can be kind of embarrassing in front of your friends...

Try some of those oil additives such as Lucas, those will condition the seals and reduce some of that smoke.

AHazzardToAll
12-12-09, 07:13 PM
Well i learnt something new. I also run synthetic and I've never seen mine do that. How much do oil additives help and what all do they help with? i've been toying with the idea to make the start a little easier on her in the winter. Also, does anyone else's cat make a wired whine when first started, it lasts about 2 seconds then stops? Just curious what it is, Thanks!

R-Caddy
12-12-09, 07:28 PM
Maybe the smog pump... Mine whistles for a couple minutes

Cadi Cat
12-12-09, 11:17 PM
It's not smoke, just condensation. Don't worry. If it was "smoking" it would do it in warm weather also.

Totally not condensation. It lingers and I can smell it.

Cadi Cat
12-12-09, 11:21 PM
Cold weather I guess causes some of the rubber seals on the valves to shrink and somehow they allow a tiny amount of oil to seep past the seal and when you start up you get that puff of smoke...

Mine does it too, and it happened after I switched to synthetic... does not hinder performance, it just looks odd when you start the car. Also can be kind of embarrassing in front of your friends...

Try some of those oil additives such as Lucas, those will condition the seals and reduce some of that smoke.

It is kind of embarrassing. Just trying to protect my image, lol. But about the lucas thing. I thought I saw a comparative post on the additives on here that it foams up and can cause an expensive mess inside the engine. I may have missinterpreted it but I'm sure you would know best since you use it. How does it work for you?

JRomano
12-14-09, 10:04 PM
yeah i posted the lucas snake oil comparison, its a complete bs product, i will never buy anything lucas makes ever
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm