: Electrical problem with Driver side power door lock switch??

tbcaddy18
12-11-09, 04:13 PM
I've had this issue with my 86 FWB ever since I purchased the car.

It only is an issue with the Driver door lock switch, the passenger side door lock switch works perfectly either with the door opened or closed.

...The Issue: I can't unlock or lock the doors from the inside (drivers switch) when the Driver door is closed, when pressing the button all I hear is a clicking noise underneath the passenger side foot-well area. ...However when the driver door is open and I try unlocking or locking the doors with that switch, it works fine.

I tried cleaning with electrical cleaner, but doesnt affect it...
..Ideas?

Thanks,
Tabz

Robin Banx
12-11-09, 07:11 PM
I have the same problem with my '81 sedan. It's apparently a common problem with 80's GM cars with power windows & door locks where the wires in the left door harness become brittle and break at the accordion boot between the hinge pillar & the door frame. I can't unlock the doors with the driver's switch. It will lock ok but not open and it makes no difference whether or not the door is open or closed. I also had a problem in the driver's door with the window switches not working because the main pink power supply wire had broken. Your problem sounds like the orange power supply wire to the switch may be broken. It is easy to test with a test light at the switch. If no power at the switch, jump the power from your seat switch (also an orange wire) over to the lock switch. That's the easy way to repair it and it should last until the power supply wire to the seat breaks in the door harness. Be very careful when you remove the switch console from the door panel as the plastic parts tend to break very easily.

tbcaddy18
12-11-09, 10:01 PM
Thanks, ill check that out soon.
So more than likely the wires have an open connection somewhere in the boot area between the door?

brougham
12-12-09, 02:23 PM
A lot of cars with power windows and power door locks can get that problem. It does sound like a broken wire but its strange that you hear the clicking there when you press the button.

Robin Banx
12-12-09, 04:16 PM
The clicking from the right side kick panel would be from the door lock relay, however the fact that the lock switch works when the door is open but not when it's closed usually indicates a fractured wire. Fractures of wires in the door harness are usually found where the harness bends at the hinge pillar. Most repair shops will cut the boot open and repair the broken wire(s) without sealing the boot. Easy to confirm by removiing the switch console and test-light the power source at the switch. If the power wire is broken (doors neither lock not unlock indicating likelyhood of the power wire bding broken) then tapping power from the seat switch is the easiest way to repair the problem.