: new member with questions

Remedy
12-11-09, 01:13 PM
First post and a hello to the members. I am shopping for a Cadillac and at the same time looking for a forum that can help guide me with repairs and troubleshooting. I am a tinkerer and have managed to find at least 1 great resource for each vehicle that I have purchased and subsequently repaired. I am hoping this is the premier Cadillac site!
If there is a better one then by all means please speak up.

Since I do not yet own a Caddy I could use some advice on choosing my first one, a car not a truck/SUV. I like the looks of the some more than others but Im still fairly model ignorant. Im sure there is a FAQ that I will be searching for and reading directly. I have been eyeballing several cars around the 97 model year but I'd like to learn a little more about the potential mechanical issues and if they span the entire line or are specific to a model. I don't mind doing my own repairs as long as I have access to manuals and great tips :)

Ranger
12-11-09, 01:19 PM
:welcome:
You probably won't find a better or more active site than this.

Read up on the Technical Archive above. Lots of good info and use the search button for specific items.

The Northstars weak link is the head gasket and it ain't cheap to fix. GM lengthened the head bolts in 2000 and thus the failures are a LOT lower. In '04 they went to a coarser thread, even better. I'd suggest you look for a 2000+.

RightTurn
12-11-09, 01:33 PM
Howdy and welcome. You've come to the right place. Now, start reading. :D

Submariner409
12-11-09, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!

If you're set on a sedan (or maybe coupe), look at 2000+ Sevilles, Devilles, and Eldorado. They represent the culmination of the FWD Northstar drivetrain installations.

The STS, DTS, and ETC have the 300 hp/3.71 final drive Northstar 32V DOHC, while the SLS , Deville, DHS, and ELC have the 275 hp/3.11 final drive.

Before you buy any Cadillac take the VIN to a GM dealer on a quiet afternoon and ask a service writer to run the VIN through the GM VIS system - you'll get a printout of all warranty, recall, and some GM service work performed on the car. CARFAX will give you title changes and emissions checks and that's about it.

Also, run the VIN through the "VIN to RPO converter" thread link at the top of the main Seville and Deville pages. That will give you all the Regular Production Options built into that car.

Stingroo
12-11-09, 02:40 PM
You know, not to suggest anything, but take a look at the '94-96 Fleetwood Broughams too.

Nice, large, RWD, 260hp out of the box from the LT1, and no head gasket issues. Only thing with them is the optispark if it's over 100k from what I gather; but you can just replace that. Though, I do quite like the Eldorados....

Welcome to the forum. :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-11-09, 02:54 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately '97-'99 model years seem to have the highest rate of headgasket failure. If you find one that has already had them replaced, then by all means go for it. If you buy one with the originals, get it for a steal and start saving just in case.

Remedy
12-12-09, 03:37 AM
Thank you for the advice... looks like Im in the right place!