: Transmission Sport Display in 2010?

jwa999
12-11-09, 10:36 AM
I just got a 2010 CTS 3.6 (build 09/09) as a loaner and I noticed in Transmission Sport mode, it is now displaying the gear selection. I got confused at first thinking it had switched to manual mode, but then I noticed the "D" was still highlighted, but the big gear numbers where also showing.

I wonder if that change is on the '10 CTS-V as well. I sure like it, i'm always wondering what gear i'm in...

Hans.

Vrocks
12-11-09, 11:05 AM
I just got a 2010 CTS 3.6 (build 09/09) as a loaner and I noticed in Transmission Sport mode, it is now displaying the gear selection. I got confused at first thinking it had switched to manual mode, but then I noticed the "D" was still highlighted, but the big gear numbers where also showing.

I wonder if that change is on the '10 CTS-V as well. I sure like it, i'm always wondering what gear i'm in...

Hans.

Hans, the '10 shows the gear number when it's in sport mode - I also thought it was in manual mode at first. I like seeing what gear it's in, and would like an option to always see the gear number (regular, sport and manual mode).

lbenoit
12-12-09, 08:08 AM
Interesting -- one could conjecture that the feature was added with just a change in firmware that could be applied to 2009 model year cars.

egyptianzeus
12-17-09, 03:16 PM
I had put mine in manual mode today for the first time....I thought that when you have it manual mode (by sliding the gear shifter to the right) you are supposed to be able to shift it yourself....but it was shifting for me??? Is that "manual" mode? If so, how do I get to to where I do the shifting instead?

Thanks

Low_ET
12-17-09, 07:36 PM
If you move the shift lever to the right, you are in "Sport Mode". In sport mode, it shifts a little more aggressively and it starts in First gear. The transmission always starts in Second Gear otherwise (from a dead stop).

If you want to shift for yourself: put the shifter in Sport Mode. Then just touch the paddle shift buttons on the back of the steering wheel or move the shift lever forward or backward - then you will be in full manual control.

It is described pretty well in the Owner's Manual. This is the first car I ever bought where I read the manual. It is really very helpful.

Have fun.

asabase
12-18-09, 09:42 AM
Does anyone else feel this shifter is backwards? Forward is upshift and for me, I'd want pulling back to be an upshift (my thinking is you are getting thrown back in the seat, so pullng back is easier. I think this is how porsche does it and everyone hates it but it makes sense to me.

PrimaryW
12-18-09, 12:53 PM
yes, my 2010 shows the gear in sport transmission mode.

asabase
12-18-09, 01:10 PM
Wow, I had no idea cars were so split on which way to push for an upshift.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/column/to_push_or_pull_when_downshifting_that_is_the_ques tion

demorgan59
12-18-09, 01:54 PM
The manual mode is pretty much worthless as it comes from GM. It reacts so slow to input from the lever or wheel buttons, that if you are trying to shift anywhere near redline you'll hit the limiter almost every time. I quit using it for that kind of driving. It's amusing at 7/10ths for mildly spirited driving if you get bored. A TSB with a factory reflash for sportier shifts would be welcome for those of us who think it shifts like crap.