Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Fiberglassing the ESV

943 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  CEPMAN 
#1 ·
Ok, so I searched and searched, and then I searched some more. I wanted a way to add bass without using up my cargo space. There's absolutely nothing made specifically for the ESV that fills this need. So..... I decided to get rid of the fake woofer imprint and get to work. One 10 wasn't going to be enough for me, so I went with 2 12's.

First I removed the panel

Then I covered the area with plastic wrap

Then I covered the area with foil

and now after hours and hours of work, and about a million and a half pairs of latex gloves, this is my progress

See less See more
#2 ·
Well.... I applaud your effort for sure! Obvious you have spent a lot of time on this. Is the fiberglass shell ported at all or just sealed tight as a drum?

I'm having a hard time envisioning the final product. But, if it's just going to be the 12's sticking out of nicely trimmed holes in the factory trim, it might look decent :)

Keep us posted. I'm subscribing to this thread :yup:

#5 ·
Yeah - I cut the stock trim 'out' so the box could fit. Everything fit perfect, but after trying to cover the box with vinyl, I see why so many people choose to paint fiberglass. Trying to get the vinyl to fit over all the contours seemed impossible. Not to mention the 30 degree weather made it less pliable and reduced the tackiness of the glue. It looks like crap now, but after 3 weeks I'm taking a break. After the 1st of the year I'm going to rip this out and paint.

#7 ·
Painting it is going to SUCK. Instead of sanding the fiberglass..... just grind it down so its sorta smooth or sand it with some 20-40 grit paper. Then just slap body filler (I would use a nice flexible one so it doesn't crack with the base) all over it. It will be much easier to sand. Start with 40 grit, get it smooth. Apply another layer and use 80 grit. And you'll probably need another layer. Prime it with a GOOD auto primer like PPG or Dupont. Sand the primer with 600 and paint it. Good luck!

#8 ·
I already have a lot of filler on the front side of the box. There were a few curves from the fiberglass that I wanted to level out some for the vinyl, and I've sanded that with 60 grit. I'll need to fiberglass and put some filler on the trim pieces too, because the vinyl was supposed to hide a bit of the rough spots from cutting, but all this can wait until the first of the year. The important part is that it sounds awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.