: 96FWB, Facing Winter

ft96
12-10-09, 07:26 PM
I have a 96 Fleetwood and happen to live in Eastern Canada where the winters can get pretty bad.
This is my first winter with the car and almost all of my pervious winter driving experience has been with much smaller front wheel drives.
So now I'm wondering what to expect from the big Caddy as far as winter performance goes.

It would be great if anyone out there with snowy road experience could give me a heads up with what to expect as well as any advice or driving tips for the season.

Thanks

jayoldschool
12-10-09, 08:16 PM
Get it oil sprayed. Something like Krown, if you can. Then, GOOD winter tires. I have Hankook Ipike on one wagon, and Goodyear Ultra Grip on the other. Brake in straight lines before a corner. Coast through the corner, no gas. Gas once you are done the corner. Find a parking lot after a snowfall to figure out how the car is going to handle. The traction control will keep you out of trouble, and the ABS will keep you steering when it is slippery.

sven914
12-10-09, 09:03 PM
^ Yeah find a vacant parking lot.

The car will fishtail a lot on you at first, but once you get used to it it won't be so bad. Keeping weight in the trunk helps the most; I use cinder blocks, but you can use bags of salt/sand. Also have a container of rock salt in the trunk; in case you need extra traction getting out of a parking spot.

As for winter tires; if you want to keep the white walls, you should go with Kelly Wintermarks (http://www.kellytires.com/auto/products/wsrht2.html), which are pinned for studs. I use them and would recommend them to anyone.

outsider
12-11-09, 08:45 AM
my 87 handles great in the winter but I've always had big rear wheel drive vehicles so I'm used to it. My girlfriend hates driving it in the winter because of how easy it is to fish tail and loose control of these big rwd cars.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-11-09, 02:00 PM
I can tell you from experience it will do far better than my Lincoln. We got a large snowfall about 3 days ago and the car breaks the back end loose just idling. Its quite difficult to control.

Another thing that will help is throw some weight in the back. Currently I've got most of my tools (roughly 100lbs) and about 200lbs of sand bags in a plastic tote in the trunk to help with the traction since most of the weight in my car is up front.

ft96
12-11-09, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice,
I live within walking distance of work so its not like I need to drive my car every day, I'm lucky that way. Most of the time it'll stay docked behind my place, especially when the really heavy stuff hits.

But some wight will be going in the trunk very soon and some rock salt too, I never thought of that but I like the idea of having the salt just in case.

drmenard
12-11-09, 06:09 PM
Make sure you know where the traction control button is in the glove box.. that turns off the traction control.... I have had times that it was impossable to go with it on...it is always on unless you shut it off...

outsider
12-12-09, 10:52 AM
also, catlitter makes a cheap substitute for salt. :)

sven914
12-12-09, 01:35 PM
also, catlitter makes a cheap substitute for salt. :)

Actually cat litter doesn't work. Most bargain bags say not suitable for wet tractions because cheap cat litter becomes slippery when wet.

brougham
12-12-09, 01:52 PM
Get it oil sprayed unless you don't care if it rusts. I never liked Krown but there are other places around that do it. Drive on some quiet streets or a parking lot to see what its going to do. Driving will be fine but you'll need to figure out how to stop the back from sliding around on bad roads before it happens to you for the 1st time when there are other cars around. The biggest problem I always found is getting moving again after you stopped on ice. I got winter tires at walmart. They are the same as the ones sven914 said to get but don't say Kelly on them. I don't know what they sell now it was a few years ago I got mine.

sven914
12-12-09, 02:28 PM
I got winter tires at walmart. They are the same as the ones sven914 said to get but don't say Kelly on them. I don't know what they sell now it was a few years ago I got mine.

Wintermarks don't say "Kelly" on them. They're produced by a subsidiary of Kelly, so they fall under the Kelly name in the Goodyear family of tire manufactures.

brougham
12-12-09, 02:41 PM
Wintermarks don't say "Kelly" on them. They're produced by a subsidiary of Kelly, so they fall under the Kelly name in the Goodyear family of tire manufactures.

When I got mine they did. The only difference with the ones I got was the name. Everything else was the same. Either way they worked great.

jayoldschool
12-12-09, 02:52 PM
The branding is probably different in Canada...