: Don't know what to do with a "dead" 97 Cadillac STS

CanadianFawkes
12-10-09, 06:54 PM
Hello all!

I have a dilemma, or more accurately my mother has a dilemma with her 1997 Cadillac STS. It looks like the head gasket is shot as it's leaking coolant and exhausting white smoke. She drove it like this for at least a week, probably two until the car started overheating (now it's parked and she bought a Corolla). Apparently, the water pump is also shot. The car has around 200,000 kms on it and needs new struts, but has a new radiator. It's looks pretty good inside and out, but I don't know what to do with it.

What do you guys think? Should I replace the water pump with a used one and put some gasket sealant (I've read here that K&W is good) to get it to an auction for sale? A wrecker will only give me $150-200 for it. I really don't think we want to spend $3000+ on a new motor, or $2000+ for the head gasket fix on a car needing $1000 worth of suspension work. Any ideas? Anything that I'm missing?

Thanks!

eyekandyboats.inc
12-10-09, 08:29 PM
www.northstarperformance.com

KARL DAHLEN
12-11-09, 11:07 AM
I had one in very similar condition with pretty much the same problems. I used it for cash-for-clunkers. Unfortunately, that is not now an option. Hold it and the deal may come back.

johnny kannapo
12-20-09, 10:50 PM
It will be more costly than your guesstimates if the head gasket failed. It would be lucky IMO to get $500 for whole car, maybe more if you want to fool around selling parts off it separate. A HG is a $5000 job, the miles are up there, stick a fork in it.

creeker
12-21-09, 01:16 AM
I had one in very similar condition with pretty much the same problems. I used it for cash-for-clunkers. Unfortunately, that is not now an option. Hold it and the deal may come back.

He said the car has 200,000 kilometres, so he's probably canadian, we dont have cash-for-clunkers.

creeker
12-21-09, 01:18 AM
Hello all!

I have a dilemma, or more accurately my mother has a dilemma with her 1997 Cadillac STS. It looks like the head gasket is shot as it's leaking coolant and exhausting white smoke. She drove it like this for at least a week, probably two until the car started overheating (now it's parked and she bought a Corolla). Apparently, the water pump is also shot. The car has around 200,000 kms on it and needs new struts, but has a new radiator. It's looks pretty good inside and out, but I don't know what to do with it.

What do you guys think? Should I replace the water pump with a used one and put some gasket sealant (I've read here that K&W is good) to get it to an auction for sale? A wrecker will only give me $150-200 for it. I really don't think we want to spend $3000+ on a new motor, or $2000+ for the head gasket fix on a car needing $1000 worth of suspension work. Any ideas? Anything that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Are you canadian,what province do you live in?, if you live in ontario,
your in luck.

1hotseville
03-08-10, 04:58 AM
I've got a wonderful idea, if I am not mistaken (and I"m sure you guys will tell me if I am :yup:) many of the parts, some of the very small and therefore very affordable to ship to Arkansas, are the same as I need on my 95 SLS (4.6 liter). So, if you still have the car, may I propose you sell me some parts I need desperately (and cheaply!) asnd though they are used, if they haven't failed they will do as temporary replacements until I can get back on my feet and finish my restore. I know my Seville isn't 'valued' to be worth alot now and maybe never, but it is my dream car and it is one of the finest looking Caddys on the road easpecially around here. A timeless model indeed. I must question the advice to "stick a fork in it" because if we all just give up and throw them out when they become somwhat costly then we aren't really enthusiasists are we? Just convenience seekers. Cadillacs have always been costly, esp. on the sticker (mine, with all the options taxed out at over $50,000 in 1995. If $500 0 or even $7-8000.00 will bring it back for $200,000 more miles with occasional costs here and there, then save it and hold on to it for your kids to take to car shows because, my friends, the times they are a changin' and not so much in the favor of us comfort and performance oriented luxury sedan fanatics. I grew up going to car shows and I aim to have my beautiful, stylish, "not grandma's caddy" showing off it's agility and ability for many years to come...no matter what it costs me in time or money, the latter of which I have much less of, but with the help of this forum and the awesome experts willing to teach me, I can do it. ((I think I can, I think I can, I think....choo. choo!))