: Buying Tires from Tire Rack.com

ericpd
12-10-09, 03:46 PM
How are you guys buying tires from Tire Rack? Are you having them shipped to your home or are most having them sent to the recommended installers? Wish is best in terms of pricing, safety and care for our wheels?

Just got finished buying a pair of Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 295/40ZR19's from their website but choose to have them sent directly to me. Wondering now if I should have had them sent to one of their recommended installers,... one listed is within a mile of me and prolly where I would have gone for installation and mounted any way. Just wanting to get some feedback on this before I call TireRack's 888 # to see if I can modify my order. Thanks much.

A note of interest: when I shopped by car, it didn't show the Hankook 295's, only the 285's for $216. However, when I shopped by size, the site revealed the 295's a lower price,... $208, however they were 30's instead of 35's. I guess I'm also wondering if this could have been a site typo, since I was anticipating a higher price for the 295's.

Any feedback is appreciated. The e-mail order confirmation says I can modify the order anytime before it's shipped. Thanks

asabase
12-10-09, 03:56 PM
I always had them shipped to my house (UPS guy loves me - kidding). But that was with my 300C that could hold all four tires in the trunk. I'd take them to the installer when I had time. I didn't want my tires sitting around the installers where there was a chance they'd disappear or get sold accidently. Unfortunately I don't think a CTS will hold 4 tires. Since you are only a mile from the installer I suppose you could make two trips to drop off the tires and car.

ericpd
12-10-09, 04:06 PM
Actually, I only bought 2 for the rear. I don't suppose I have to talk about why I only bought the rear tires. Yeah, I was thinking about them accidentally selling them to someone else also. But I what I was really wondering was if the install price from the TireRack site is cheaper than a walk-in install price.

wait4me
12-10-09, 04:36 PM
Make sure you get the same tire size that was on there. It will have abs issues if you go to far away from stock front and rear error percent.

As for the tirerack pricing, USUALLY a local shop will match that price that they have online but you dont have to pay for the shipping.

You can only fit BARELY 2 tires in the car. one in the trunk and one in the back seat...

it would be more if the back seats would have folded down, then it would have been 3. :)

As for install, that is where most tire shops get the money. Not for the actual tire they sell.

Options options options is what they try to sell you as that is where they make thier money...
insurance, tire syping, nitrogen, massive disposal fees ect, extra storage fees, and installation.......

dqw1
12-10-09, 04:42 PM
I have all my tires orders shipped to the installers. Never had an issue.

neuronbob
12-10-09, 06:11 PM
I have my tires shipped to my home so they are in my possession and they don't get sold accidentally by the dealer. I can fit all four tires in the back seat. When I had my winter tires installed, I put the tires in plastic bags, stood them on end, two in each rear seat, and rocked on. It's a slightly tight fit, but it works.

I can put ONE tire in the trunk.

jwa999
12-10-09, 06:33 PM
I used the local goodyear installer, the tires get logged under my name when they arrive, no problem. But shipping them to your home gives you more options for installers, such as discount tire, which does not do drop shipping, but will install tires that your bring.

And like w4m says, watchout for the circumference of the tire. Front and rear should match closely, otherwise the car will think it's slipping and stability system is thrown for a loop.

Hans.

ericpd
12-10-09, 09:17 PM
I used the local goodyear installer, the tires get logged under my name when they arrive, no problem. But shipping them to your home gives you more options for installers, such as discount tire, which does not do drop shipping, but will install tires that your bring.

And like w4m says, watchout for the circumference of the tire. Front and rear should match closely, otherwise the car will think it's slipping and stability system is thrown for a loop.

Hans.

Hey thanks for all the feedback. I settled on the 295/30's. If I understand stuff correctly the second number is a percentage of the first number. Sooooo,.... that should mean that that 30 % of a wider tire (295) should end up being just about as tall as 35 % of a narrower tire (285), keeping the circumference hopfully close enough. Armed with this understanding, I dicided against the 295/40's thinking they would be too tall. Did I do good?

Hope I did,... just got another order status e-mail from Tire Rack stating that they have left their Delaware facility along with a tracking UPS #. Funny things is it also says that UPS hasn't scanned them yet,... strange. You'd think they would scan them when they picked the tires up.

jwa999
12-11-09, 12:27 PM
255/40R19: circumference: 84.91" Revs per Mile: 769.5
285/35R19: circumference: 84.35" Revs per Mile: 774.6 Difference: 0.67%
295/30R19: circumference: 81.55" Revs per Mile: 801.2 Difference: 3.96%

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

That site recommends staying below 3%. 295/35R19 would have been a better choice. it's only 0.34% bigger than the fronts. But there's hardly any in that size.

When I order from tirerack, they ship from shreveport, louisiana to mesquite,tx.. funny thing is though, UPS does not have a record of that part and the tires are at the installer the next morning directly from mesquite.
I have a feeling, for tax purposes, they use shreveport, but the warehouse is right here in dfw.

Hans.

musclesbmf
12-11-09, 01:29 PM
if you got 30's for the rear, you will hate the tires... they will be smaller in diameter than front avery noticable to the eye. Your car will have a reverse rake and that is not appealing. Change order immed and get 295 35

MArk

Titaniumseeker
12-11-09, 02:13 PM
Are any of you running 20" wheels? If so, what are your tire sizes (frt/rr)?

ericpd
12-11-09, 07:07 PM
if you got 30's for the rear, you will hate the tires... they will be smaller in diameter than front avery noticable to the eye. Your car will have a reverse rake and that is not appealing. Change order immed and get 295 35

MArk

They arrived,.... man are these things wide. I mis-stated in my earlier posts, these are 295/35's. They are not 30's. They were sitting at the front steps when I got in from work about an hour ago,... strapped together. Man,... I had no idea our rears were this wide. They look like an open-wheel race tires, well except for the tread. Can't wait to get them mounted.

Now I wished I would have bought fronts also, but my fronts are fine. I read on another thread where Hankooks are known for their road noise, hope these aren't the model responsible for that reputation. They look good guys. Thanks everyone!

jwa999
12-11-09, 08:01 PM
They arrived,.... man are these things wide. I mis-stated in my earlier posts, these are 295/35's. They are not 30's. They were sitting at the front steps when I got in from work about an hour ago,... strapped together. Man,... I had no idea our rears were this wide. They look like an open-wheel race tires, well except for the tread. Can't wait to get them mounted.

Now I wished I would have bought fronts also, but my fronts are fine. I read on another thread where Hankooks are known for their road noise, hope these aren't the model responsible for that reputation. They look good guys. Thanks everyone!

How interesting. I looked everywhere for the hankooks 295/35.
I have hankooks all around in the standard size and am very happy with them. You should let tirerack know that they have the product listed wrong.
Let us know how they fit.

Hans.

ericpd
12-11-09, 09:25 PM
I have hankooks all around in the standard size and am very happy with them. You should let tirerack know that they have the product listed wrong.

Hans.

Hans,... they do have some errors in their listings. After I posted I called and they told me that the item listed as 30's are actually 35's. They also said that some of the prices seems to be askew as well. Like I said earlier, the larger tire was actually cheaper than our OEM size (285/35). That didn't sound right. So I'm suspecting that that descript will be updated real soon. Yesterday, it showed the only options for the Hankook 295 were 30's and 40's,... that's not correct. It also showed the 295's at $208 and the 285's at $216. I suspect that will change too. I paid $208 ea. plus $35.10 shipping.

Drove down to the Firestone shop down the street from me, told them that I bought the tires from Tire Rack and they were recommended as an installer. They agreed to install for 14.95 each. I'll be there first thing in the morning,... didn't feel like waiting up to 2 hours. They promised I'd be in and out if I showed up first thing.

Man,... these things are FAT! Damn!

Luna.
12-12-09, 12:04 AM
Unless my math is wrong, which I don't think it is, the tire height of a 295/35 is much closer to a 255/40 than a 285/35 is. As such, it would seem to make any ABS issues go away more (wait a minute--did that make any sense? :cool2:).

And if there would be an issue by having the tires spin CLOSER in relation to each other than the stock matching...good lord...that would be a new record for retardedness... :rant2:

wfo
12-12-09, 10:13 AM
Use using the recommended installers they have in th Tire rack network. If you have them shipped to your house and then go to say, Discount Tire, a highly competent dealesrship with great customer service; but, they will charge you extra for not buying tires from them.

ericpd
12-12-09, 05:17 PM

Hans.

Well I just got back,... they're mounted, balanced and fit fine. Ended up not going to the Firestone dealer and choose a local NTB shop instead. The ride is just about the same,... or I am unable to tell any difference. The stance appears a bit angrier, especially if you looking up her skirt,... a larger foot print is obvious when viewing from behind. The guys at NTB said that I should not have any problems with fitment or any computer issues. After about 12 miles,... I'd call it a success.

Thanks again for the feedback. BTW,... NTB has a price match policy that includes Tire Rack. Just thought I should throw that out. No shipping charges or extra cost of mounting,... something I'll think about when it's time to replace the fronts. Could have saved some 60 bucks if I had bought from them ($31.50 shipping + $30.75 install). Taxes are a wash since Tire Rack also charges taxes!

wfo
12-12-09, 06:23 PM
Thanks ericpd..that is very good to know.

marktanner
12-12-09, 06:36 PM
Be VERY careful at handling exremes and in the wet. It's usually not advisable to mix tire brands and tread patterns with high performance cars. Porsche specically recommends against this. The tires will have different grip characteristics, and this can affect under or oversteer at the limit. In the rain or snow, the differences may be even more dramatic, and not necessarily in the same direction. If you had selected 295/35 PS2s, you would have noticed a bit more understeer, and that is predictable, but not so with different brands with different tread patterns and compounds.

neuronbob
12-12-09, 07:08 PM
BTW,... NTB has a price match policy that includes Tire Rack. Just thought I should throw that out. No shipping charges or extra cost of mounting,... something I'll think about when it's time to replace the fronts. Could have saved some 60 bucks if I had bought from them ($31.50 shipping + $30.75 install). Taxes are a wash since Tire Rack also charges taxes!

THANK YOU for telling us that. I didn't know and will remember that when it's time for a new set of shoes. That certainly saves the cost of shipping, and any scratch saved is always a good thing.

ericpd
12-14-09, 07:43 PM
WOW,... for the first since buying the new tires I got to watch the V from behind as my wife drove it to the store. Really does a lot for making the V look aggressive from the rear,... as if it needed any help in the first place. There is definitely a visible difference between 285's and 295's when mounted on our cars. Any benefit in filling up the wheel well is prolly in my head, but the footprint is obvious. I still don't notice any difference in ride,... well maybe I can feel the bumps a little more. Are these Hankooks a harder tire than the PS2? I'm pleased.

BeagleBrains
12-15-09, 09:29 PM
Make sure you get the same tire size that was on there. ........
You can only fit BARELY 2 tires in the car. one in the trunk and one in the back seat...

it would be more if the back seats would have folded down, then it would have been 3. :)... ....and installation.......
May I assume that "same tire size" implies equivalent - same proportional diameter as OEM! I have nearly always done a tire change out, doing the calculations for same diameter and, if possible, wider with more meat on the road. Consideration given for turning fitmet, etc. of course.

My real concern is "if the back seats .... ... fold... down!:ill:"
What's with this? Us urbanites need that little extra extension of the trunk space to haul home the next Flat Panel HDTV. Maybe this calls for switching to a Ford SVT Raptor Pickup.

ericpd
12-16-09, 02:33 AM
May I assume that "same tire size" implies equivalent - same proportional diameter as OEM! I have nearly always done a tire change out, doing the calculations for same diameter and, if possible, wider with more meat on the road. Consideration given for turning fitmet, etc. of course.

My real concern is "if the back seats .... ... fold... down!:ill:"
What's with this? Us urbanites need that little extra extension of the trunk space to haul home the next Flat Panel HDTV. Maybe this calls for switching to a Ford SVT Raptor Pickup.

They sacrificed the folding rear seat option in favor of increased body rigidity. From what I understand, there are added cross members filling the space and hole where stuff would have normally passed through from the trunk to the back seat area and visa-versa, making folding seats a useless,... and a senseless addition to the cost of the car. No sense equipping the V with seats that fold if you can't pass stuff through. I can live with that.

BeagleBrains
12-16-09, 10:57 AM
They sacrificed the folding rear seat option in favor of increased body rigidity. making folding seats a useless,... and a senseless addition to the cost of the car. ...... I can live with that.
In consideration of the more than ample horsepower and torque, body rigidity over utility is a proper trade-off. Thank you for the courteous clarification.
I can live with that, indeed! :cool:

everdegu
12-16-09, 01:33 PM
Need to see pics of the way your ride looks with the new shoes....

Upload pics please....