: A rotor question

Dick's06Vee
12-09-09, 08:50 PM
I recently purchased a set of the Hawk ceramic pads, front and rear. I didn't catch the fact in a thread that the fronts left a quarter inch of the inside diameter of the front rotors untouched. According to Hawk, it's going to take a while before the new fronts are ready for purchase. I know I can re-install the OE fronts and deal with copious amounts of dust again until the new ones are ready. Here's my question. Can I leave the front Hawks on and cover that small untouched area of the rotor with something to prevent it from rusting while waiting for the new ones? Thinking maybe of a heavy coat of wax or something and just leave in on instead of wiping it off. Your thoughts???? Bear in mind that I live in Michigan and do drive it in the winter, although I pick and choose the days I am out, as I am semi-retired. Thanks, Dick

rjoffe
12-09-09, 09:40 PM
I might be more concerned about the uneven rotor wear then the rust.

GMX322V S/C
12-10-09, 12:22 AM
Have them mic'd and turned if necessary when the time comes.

Mike 09 V
12-10-09, 11:12 AM
I didn't do the math but you could be losing a significant amount of braking power with the wrong size shoes. I'm guessing around 10% less surface area so less braking. It probably won't mean much but who knows in a panic stop.