: Rear ambient lighting with stock seats

tedcmiller
12-09-09, 07:23 PM
At the suggestion of one poster, I am starting a new thread to get an answer to my question. That is, does anyone have rear ambient footwell lighting with stock seats (not Recaros)? Please be careful and do not confuse ambient light from the rear interior door handles with ambient lighting in the rear footwells.

As I have noted before, there is no wiring shown in the factory service manual for rear ambient footwell lighting. According to the installation instructions provided with GM parts for this function, the wiring must be added (no easy task).

saintnickatnite
12-09-09, 08:19 PM
I have neither front nor rear with stock seats.

cbloveday
12-09-09, 09:16 PM
Please post your build date as well.

DStetter
12-09-09, 09:19 PM
I have a 4/09 V with stock seats and front ambiant lighting. There is no rear ambiant lighting in my car. On my vehical build sheet it indicates a option code of TSQ (Interior Accent Lighting).

I wonder if it was supposed to have front AND rear lighting or is the rear a seperate code?

Might be interesting to see what was supossed to be included and if I can get it added.

Dennis

RapidRob
12-09-09, 10:04 PM
I added my .02 cents in the other thread, and I guess I'll do it here as well - since I also would like to know if there is SUPPOSED to be rear-footwell ambient lighting.

Build date = 02/09.
All options except for Recaros, and no auto tranny.
There is ambient lighting in my front foot-wells, but none in the rear foot-wells.

Rob

Low_ET
12-09-09, 10:37 PM
Build Date: 4/2009
Standard Seats

No Front footwell ambient lighting.
No Rear footwell ambient lighting.

tedcmiller
12-09-09, 11:17 PM
OK. I have ambient lighting in the front footwells on my 12/08 build, but none in the rear. This appears to be the normal situation for all 2009 and later CTS-Vs with stock (not Recaro) seats. If you have no front footwell ambient lighting, then apparently something is missing. It appears that it is possible to get LEDs for rear footwell lighting, but installing them is less than trivial. According to the installation instructions, the entire front console must be removed to get at an exisiting connector, and then additional wiring must be added to power the LEDs that provide the rear footwell ambient lighting.

DStetter
12-09-09, 11:22 PM
After reading the other thread more closley and realizing I was confusing the front dash lighting as my front floor lighting I can confirm that my 4/09 build has

NO front floor lighting just an empty hole where the LED should be.
NO rear floor lighting.

I picked mine up from Scott, lets see if the local dealer will honor replacing these as the option was purchased indicated by my window sticker.

Dennis

cbloveday
12-09-09, 11:32 PM
OK. I have ambient lighting in the front footwells on my 12/08 build, but none in the rear. This appears to be the normal situation for all 2009 and later CTS-Vs with stock (not Recaro) seats. If you have no front footwell ambient lighting, then apparently something is missing. It appears that it is possible to get LEDs for rear footwell lighting, but installing them is less than trivial. According to the installation instructions, the entire front console must be removed to get at an exisiting connector, and then additional wiring must be added to power the LEDs that provide the rear footwell ambient lighting.

Ted,

I would add that the $38 for rear lights Product # 19170640 includes the 2 rear lamps and wiring and harness etc. The rear lamps are encased in a square bracket that clips on to the seat. If you go to www.gmpartsdirect and look @ the photo for 19170640, the photo looks like the front lamps. It is misleading.

Here is the rear lamps for those that need clarification:

Rear Passenger lamp on Recaros
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/passsidelight.jpg

Rear Driver Lamp on Recaros
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/drivesidelight.jpg

tedcmiller
12-10-09, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the information. However, the link to GM Part Direct is incomplete. I think you left off the .com part of the link.

Now, you indicate that the photo associated with PN 19170640 is misleading. Unfortunately, I was never able to see this photo. The part number was found at a price of $37.86, but it simply identified the part as a LAMP and provided no photos. So, how do you see the parts provided and the misleading photo?

cbloveday
12-10-09, 02:09 PM
Ted,

I apologize, I was confusing sites.
this site with no picture
www.gmpartsdirect.com

This site with pn for rears but picture of front ambient lights
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/2010/CTS/Ambient%20Lighting%20-%20Rear%20Floor/?tx_gmshopb2b_pi1%5Btype%5D=gm

You got me there :worship:

tedcmiller
12-10-09, 07:18 PM
OK. That link worked fine. And, I see what you mean by the confusing picture. Your photos are much better

Kadonny
12-11-09, 11:37 AM
Build date 12/08, standard seats. Front ambient lighting in footwells, none in rear just as others have stated.

Tedboss1
12-11-09, 01:30 PM
Build Date: 11/2008
Standard Seats

Yes front footwell ambient lighting.
No Rear footwell ambient lighting.

tedcmiller
12-11-09, 02:09 PM
Ok. I think that confirms with stock seats, from the factory, there is suppose to be front ambient footwell lighting but none in the rear footwells. Since there is evidently a kit available for adding ambient lighting to the rear footwells (PN compliments of cbloveday), those that cannot live without it can order the kit. I probably would do this if the work required to add the lights was not so extensive. As it is, I will not do this and this thread is ended as far as I am concerned. Thanks, to all who replied.

saintnickatnite
12-11-09, 08:53 PM
My Build date is 5/09. No ambient front/rear- can I request the parts from the dealer?

cbloveday
12-11-09, 09:22 PM
The dealer can provide the parts and do the install. I did not have front or rear either 4/09 build. I looked for the front connection and it was there and I checked the voltage and there was power. I called the dealer and advised some have the front and rear. They offered to order and install both front and rear @ NC.
I do not know if other dealers will step up. You can try. If they will not, my suggestion would be to make sure you have the front connections and that there is voltage to the connection and then order the fronts from www.gmpartsdirect.com. The fronts are only $38 approx and it is easy. As stated before the rears are a pita and I have yet to notice them. I rarely have passengers in the back seat and they are not visible from the front.
Front and rears will take a tech 3 hours and you'll have to worry about them damaging trim the entire time. Your call.

marktanner
12-12-09, 05:14 PM
My '08 CTS had both front and rear footwell lighting. The rear was very hard to see, and passenger's feet would sometimes obscure it anyway. My '09 V was built in early March, and has the front lighting, with the Recaros. It sounds like GM dropped the rears for '09, and pretty much dropped in the fronts from 4/09 onward. It's very hard to see with ebony carpets unless there are feet or other items present. It can be distracting if there is something very light in the passenger footwell, so it's absence isn't a big tragedy, IMO. The other LED that should be present is the overhead that bathes the console in light. In my '08 with the "aluminum" center stack and MT shift knob insert, everything kind of glowed and it was easy to see which gear I was in almost as well as with the lit shift knob in my M5. With the V, the obsidian trim and non-reflective shifter insert don't reflect any light back, and you may not notice it until you put your hand in the area. Just an observation.

cbloveday
12-12-09, 05:25 PM
I agree completely. :)