: Northstar Trike

Tri-starTrike
12-09-09, 03:42 PM
Hello, i came to see if i could get any info on motors and pcms wiring harness , etc......have read a lot of the tuning post but am interested in a pcm with harness, that will just run the motor. Will be mounted under tranny cover right behind the motor. motor is a 99 and I have the harness and pcm, was told that it was the one with motor, but not sure.

Rolex
12-09-09, 03:51 PM
Well first let me :welcome5: you to the forums.

Second, the technical information you need is probably in a sub forum. You can find forums for the car your motor came from, and forums for the engines here. The lounge is more for general chit chat then discussing technical material.

Good luck finding what you need. :D

Tri-starTrike
12-09-09, 04:03 PM
Thanks , that was just introduction, tho a bit long winded...; )

Stingroo
12-09-09, 04:16 PM
Oh my god. And you're in Jacksonville? I MUST see this thing when it's completed!

00 Deville
12-09-09, 05:20 PM
How did you come up with the "Tri-Star" name... it's not after the Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star is it?

Tri-starTrike
12-09-09, 05:21 PM
Pic of me on the mock-up has 89 Vette IRS....will use Mk VIII, as frame mounts are easier to build and frame will not be so bulky. Parts are scattered between storage areas, but the winter is coming and i will going full time on it as I only do custom Motorcycle seats now.

Tri-starTrike
12-09-09, 05:30 PM
How did you come up with the "Tri-Star" name... it's not after the Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star is it?

No, country boy imagination.......TRIke, northSTAR, and a junk yard observation.....Caddie and Mercedes Benz logos with the star turned upside down and it fit on the top cover like it was made for it.

V-Eight
12-09-09, 05:43 PM
Pic of me on the mock-up has 89 Vette IRS....will use Mk VIII, as frame mounts are easier to build and frame will not be so bulky. Parts are scattered between storage areas, but the winter is coming and i will going full time on it as I only do custom Motorcycle seats now.

Hooooleeeyy fu**, that thing is gonna RIP!

Stingroo
12-09-09, 05:51 PM
That thing is going to be AWESOME. I love the name and logo now that I look at it. Really clever.

How long until you think it'll be roadworthy?

Rolex
12-09-09, 06:12 PM
++ rep points for the pics of your trike. I bet that thing is gonna scream when you get it up and running. :D

Krashed989
12-09-09, 06:18 PM
Wow... Awesome project!

I know CHRFAB has an ECM for the northstar, but it's kinda pricey. http://www.chrfab.com/Ignitions.htm

Tri-starTrike
12-09-09, 07:09 PM
yeah, I Have looked at their stuff, but I think that a stock one with all the crap removed and a little re-mapping for fuel economy would do the trick.....would you want almost 3oo hp under your ass.....; ))

The fwd engine is perfect for this, I took a LS-1 thermostat housing and modded it to point toward the trans aand will run the water from a rad in the back or 2 small one mounted in front of the rear a-arms.....I will fab a large tubular gas tank to go across the back, above the rear diff and mount a wing off of that , like a fueler, which is what I will have, but with 3 wheels.......I am leaveing the rear track stock with N-60/15's and a friend gave me some old wheelie bars to mod, to keep the front wheel planted.
money is the main problem, design a Cad girder and a friend made a program , but machine time is expensive. Will build out of steel if i can't get someone to whittle it out of 6061 and stainless. Have the materials, but no machinist friends..lol

osu411yamaha
12-09-09, 08:09 PM
That will be awesome. You will find the advice you need in either the northstar performance or seville/eldorado side of the forum.

Krashed989
12-09-09, 08:33 PM
Have you checked out this website? http://www.emachineshop.com/
They have a free CAD program where you design what you want, select the materials and how its machined. Then you can send the design in and they'll give you a quote. To which you can say, "damn that's too expensive!" or "That's a good price, make it for me!"

It looks to me like your foot will be melting near that exhaust manifold. You should make a heat shield/scoop or something to fix that... Or just wear some asbestos socks... lol

billc83
12-09-09, 08:51 PM
Greetings and salutations.

That is going to be sweet!

iowasevillests
12-09-09, 09:31 PM
Now that is gonna be a sweet project once you're done! Looking forward to seeing pics as she takes shape(please!!!)

gary88
12-09-09, 11:36 PM
Awesome :thumbsup:

osu411yamaha
12-09-09, 11:42 PM
My only concern for you is the cooling. I don't believe air cooling a northstar will be sufficient.

Tri-starTrike
12-10-09, 12:22 AM
My only concern for you is the cooling. I don't believe air cooling a northstar will be sufficient.

Then you didn't read all the post that I wrote......There will be either one large radiator in the rear or 2 smaller ones, in front of the rear a-arms......I modified a LS-1 thermostat housing, to turn the neck toward the trans and will run aliminum tube down be side the tranny and out the sides with a cross-over between the 2 side radiators if used and the standard type route if I use the large truck type.

Krashed989..........I know of emachineshop.....If I had that kind of money, i would not have a problem with this...lol......and I will not use the stock headers....i will be makeing some out of stainless that can be polished, that will exit to the front, like stock headers that have turnaround and switched side to side. The exhaust will run under the engine and be attached to the side rails.

The Tony Show
12-10-09, 11:28 AM
This thread is relevant to my interests.

:food-snacking:

RightTurn
12-10-09, 12:29 PM
:yeah: Welcome, Tri-Star. :wave: