: My new CTS-V died @ 255 miles

Z06ified
12-08-09, 07:47 PM
I haven't even had a chance yet to post pics of my new 2010 Thunder Gray CTS-V, and it died on me already. I've owned the car exactly 1 week, with 255 miles on the clock, and it left me stranded on the side of the road, and had to be towed back to the dealer. To say I'm fuming mad would be an understatement.

On my way to work this morning, I was taking a left hand turn through a traffic circle, at a pretty good rate of speed, testing the handling, but not that crazy (the tires weren't even squeeling). I marveled at how well and flat the car cornered and handled, thinking I may even like the way the car handles better than my '02 Z06. Anyway, I exited the circle, going straight, and start to accelerate, but the car just coasts. No power. The tach is still turning (I have a manual), but the engine is just being driven by already turning wheels. I floor it, but nothing. Engine totally dead. No noises, no warning lights - it's as if it just ran out of gas, but gauge was showing 1/4 tank. So I coast to the side of the road, pull out of the way on the grass, and the car coasts to a stop. Try to restart it, and it would just crank, but would not turn over. Didn't even try to turn over. Tried many time, but it just wouldn't start. Called On-Star, and arranged for a tow. While I was waiting for the tow truck, I tried a few more times, and the engine tried to turn over, firing a little bit, but it wouldn't stay running, and it felt like only 2 cylinders were firing. Couldn't tell if it was fuel starved or flooded. I didn't smell any gas, so I'm guessing fuel starved, or some massive ignition problem. The thing is, I remembered a few days ago, in the exact same turn and the same spot, the car stumbled a little while accelerating out of the turn, and let out a light pop out the exhaust. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I know it was an early indication of something wrong. What exactly I have no idea, because the car ran great the rest of the time. I've been babying it due to the break in period, but driven lightly, it ran fine.

Dealership uses Enterprise (yuk) for their loaner cars, and of course, they just ran out of Cadillacs to loan me, so I get stuck with a Saturn Vue. This makes me even more angry, but at this point I just wanted to get to work. I'm thinking back to when I had an Infiniti, and I ALWAYS got another Infiniti as a loaner car whenever I brought my car in for service. Then I'm thinking this is the new Government Motors LLC, and suddenly my $70k dead luxury car has been replaced with an economy SUVlet. Great. I get a thousand apologies from the service manager, and my salesman. That's nice and all, but I just want my new car back fixed ASAP. Instead, I get the finance manager calling me at work (I think he's in charge of surveys), asking me if I'm satisfied with the dealership, and saying to make sure if I'm not satisfied for any reason to contact him, and he kept going on and on with this nonsense, clearly pushing to make sure I give them good marks on their stupid survey. Now I'm more annoyed, because I hated dealing with this guy when I bought the car (he belongs at a Kia dealership, not a Cadillac dealership), and now he's annoying me again with this survey nonsense. I told him I was pissed off that I didn't get a Cadillac loaner car, and he made up some stupid excuse. I told him well, I'm NOT satisfied with that, and I won't even be close to satisfied until I get my car back, fixed correctly, and the problem doesn't happen again.

Then at work of course all the import lovers there are yuking it up, laughing their arses off at my POS American car which died after only 1 week and 255 miles, and as much as I like American cars, I'm thinking at this point they're right.

Now buyer remorse is quickly setting in, as my 2nd choice (and a close one at that), was a BMW M3, and I'm wishing I had bought that instead right about now.

I should wait to find out what happened before fully judging the car, as it could be something not the car's fault like bad gas or something (it was still on the first tank put in by the dealer). But if it is a defect, man, what a disappointment in the American car industry. I will say though, besides this problem, the quality of the car seems excellent. I've been looking for defects, and aside from this failure, I haven't found ANY. And of course I love the way the car drives and all of its features.

Sorry for venting :rant2:, but I had to. When I waited 8 weeks to order the car of my dreams, and plunked down a lot of hard earned cash on this car, just to have it crap out brand new like this - it's a real kick in the head.

Thanks for listening. I'll post an update whenever my dealership gets around to looking at it - as far as I can tell, the car sat there all day untouched.:rolleyes:

cbloveday
12-08-09, 07:56 PM
WOW! Sorry to hear this happen to you. I have never heard of such a problem. I wonder if something might be wrong with the gas.
Anyway, I had an 07 M6 so tell those coworkers to suck it. They have problems too. As far as the loaner goes, your dealership should have gotten you something comparable or better, even if they had to pay for it. Good luck and I hope it is something minor like a clogged fuel filter or something like that.

dvandentop
12-08-09, 08:16 PM
damn let us know what the problem is hope it is just something easy

backup
12-08-09, 08:20 PM
Damn the bad luck, but like they say most major problems, if you have any, will show up very early. Sounds like a fuel/ignition problem, more like fuel to me. Weird that it stumbled in the same place previously. I wonder if you are out of fuel and the guage is wrong. What you described is exactly what you would expect if you ran it dry. I love my car, but I am still amazed at how fast it can drain that small tank.

backup
12-08-09, 08:21 PM
Just curious, was this still on your first full tank of fuel? I'm not sure I could get 250 miles out of it sometimes.

musclesbmf
12-08-09, 08:31 PM
You can't "flood" a fuel injected car....
Probably just the alternator... but let us know for sure.

Mark

GMBOUND
12-08-09, 08:36 PM
Shoot me a PM, if this is not handled to your satisfication. Due to a bad experience my Aunt had at a Cadillac Dealer I'm already in that mode. Hopefully your car will be fixed and returned so you can continue enjoying it.

Quick tip.

Be sure to speak with the General Manager of your selling dealership about this ordeal.

and

http://www.gm.com/guarantee/?brandId=gm&src=sch&seo=goo_|_2009_GM_MTBCW_Branding_|_Phase_II_-_60_Day_|_Satisfaction_|_60_day_satisfaction_guara ntee

chopmeat
12-08-09, 08:42 PM
SH*T that sucks dude!

neuronbob
12-08-09, 08:43 PM
That is really sucky. Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Do keep us posted!

everestsdad
12-08-09, 08:44 PM
You can flood a FI car. FYI
Mine died at 303 miles, Crank sensor. Dealer(Sewell) was fine. Brought me a CTS when they picked up mine. Yes I was pissed and had remorse at the time but I really like the car now and think we might have a long term relationship. First dates sometimes are tough

nynd
12-08-09, 08:55 PM
Are you sure the gas gauge was reading correctly? If the gauge was defective, maybe you really did run out of gas. Could it be?

Gary Wells
12-08-09, 09:12 PM
Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable, but if you had 255 miles on the car and the gage still showed 1/4 tank, then that would calculate out to about 340 miles on a tank, which would come out to 18.88 MPG average. I suspect that is a very good average for a first tank of gas on these cars. I think that these are 18 gal tanks, right? I suspect that the fuel pick up uncovered in that corner possibly? Hope that everything works out on the car.

Z06ified
12-08-09, 09:28 PM
Wow, good point on the gas mileage. I had checked the fuel economy computer, and it read an average of 14.6 MPG. Miles on the same first tank was 255 miles when it died. The computer said distance to empty was 61 miles. But 255/14.6 = 17.5 gallons.

So I'm thinking bad gas gauge! It was definitely reading just below 1/4 tank, which should mean 3.6 gallons left.

wait4me
12-08-09, 09:35 PM
WOW that is bad news! Did onstar not see what codes where being thrown? It sounds like a loose connection, out of gas, or something simple. The code thrown should tell the answer..

You always have a 60day buy back thru gm if you so choose.... I just think you should stick with the car. It is a very fun car once the bugs are worked out.

ecorpuz12
12-08-09, 09:49 PM
i was looking at getting an M3 also but was ultimately swayed by more interior room and the HP advantage of the V...sucks to hear that yours sh*t the bed, but it happens. at least it didn't do this: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286866&highlight=m3+fire

i guess you just happened to get the unlucky one off the assembly line. hope it gets back on the road soon.

Z06ified
12-08-09, 10:14 PM
WOW that is bad news! Did onstar not see what codes where being thrown? It sounds like a loose connection, out of gas, or something simple. The code thrown should tell the answer..

No - I don't think there were any codes. When the car was coasting, I don't recall seeing a check engine light on. I don't think the light was on. That's another reason I think it was really out of gas, and I've got a faulty fuel gauge. Although that doesn't explain the stumble and pop I got a few days earlier in the same turn, when I had over 1/2 a tank of gas.

thebigjimsho
12-08-09, 10:22 PM
On my trip back to MA from San Antonio, I was getting from 300-325 miles per tank. All highway miles. So it wouldn't shock me that you ran out of gas. And maybe the gauge moved under hard cornering so that when it died, it froze on 1/4 when maybe it was on 0 before the turn?

DrewDog
12-08-09, 10:27 PM
I'll post an update whenever my dealership gets around to looking at it - as far as I can tell, the car sat there all day untouched.:rolleyes:

as soon as that dealer opens in the morning, call em and have the lot boy fill her up and give her a whirl.

done and done.

TrevorD
12-08-09, 11:54 PM
FYI, I had an '08 M3 coupe, and it was a great car. But, it didn't have the power of the V. It was a total blast to drive, but I had the opportunity to make a few dollars on the car so I sold it. I missed it a lot, but the V has more amenities. I agree that it sounds like something simple. I can completely understand your disgust on having to take your new car to the dealer, but don't give up on it yet.

Tony407
12-09-09, 12:10 AM
Sounds like an awful experience. I hope it was something as simple as a bad fuel gauge. I'm sure you'll let us know.

I've ran out of gas on two different cars in my lifetime. The first was a '79 Mercury Capri when I was a teenager and it was one of those cars that if the gauge was anywhere near the E it meant GET GAS NOW! The second was the V. I underestimated the amount of gas left when the fuel light came on. I drove it a little further to finish a few more errands and ended up being stranded on the side of the road. Totally my fault obviously. I'm used to being able to drive with the fuel light on for another 30 or so miles in town, and although I can't remember how far I made it in the V, it sure didn't seem that long. Now I just pull over and get gas when it gets close to the 1/8th mark.

Tony

roarkb
12-09-09, 12:24 AM
Bummer. Hope it is something simple.

If you are at 255 miles, I would suspect your gas gauge reading may be suspect. I usually get about 250 miles per tank, just can't keep from being in continuous acceleration mode.

BTW, I left a BMW for the CTS-V. Mine had a cracked gas tank that only leaked when nearly full of gas. Problem was there right from the start but it took a couple of trips to dealer to identify it as we were not full of gas when it was taken in. At one point it left about a gallon of gas on floor in garage. Our bedroom is over the garage, so the smell stayed for days. Tank was defective from factory. Once they found it, it was fixed under warranty. We count ourselves lucky that we had no fire... Other than that the car was very good.

Dealer dropped the BMW loaner car program about a year after the purchase. However, if we fussed and said it was promised when we bought the car, they would find a car to drive.

An office mate just had a 2008 330 replaced under the lemon program, an electronics problem that they could not find. She is happy with the new car, but it took over a year to get them to agree to replace car.

I have owned one of about every non exotic brand, all of them except my GMC truck has had some kind of wierd event. We just bought an Escalade because the wife liked the CTS-V so well. So far we have had no problem with it, but it is only about 6 weeks old.

c4ss
12-09-09, 01:16 AM
Sorry to hear about this...hope it gets figured out soon for you. Stick with it man, it's probably something stupid. The V probably has another 200 thousand miles left in her.

JFJr
12-09-09, 07:09 AM
I can imagine your anger and total frustration, but I suspect that the problem will be corrected to your satisfaction and that you will eventually put this whole incident behind you and become a big fan of the car after you get it back and enjoy it. You made the right decision, but just got unlucky. Stay cool.

Prof
12-09-09, 07:35 AM
I would be pissed even if it is just out of gas...(sign of the times, find a guilty party other than self)...

If there isn't some kind of obvious warning about low fuel that is an oversight...I generally refuel at 1/4 so I don't know what happens below that...

But, all things considered...I bet it is something minor. I also bet that in another 2000 miles you will be puffing your chest out like the rest of us...this is one really fine vehicle...possibly as Car and Driver just said: "the best American vehicle ever..."

I hope it is resolved quickly and the gas gauge gets a close calibration or replacement.

cbloveday
12-09-09, 08:31 AM
What happens is around an 1/8 of a tank you get a low fuel warning on the nav and it asks "yes" or "no" if you would like to be directed to the nearest gas station. If you select "yes" it compiles a list with directions available. You select one and off you go. He probably didn't get this because it never registered as low on fuel.

Prof
12-09-09, 08:40 AM
Good info! Thanks.

I am a little compulsive about cleaning and fuel...and probably about 5000 other things...:yup::bigroll:

asabase
12-09-09, 08:49 AM
There must be a bad fuel gauge manufacturer out there. My 300C was in for service about a year ago and the loaner (Neon I think - even chrysler people get downgraded) ran out of fuel because the gauge was stuck at 1/4 tank. Luckily I was out to buy a gas can for the mower and it died across the street from a gas station. Then a while later my 300C gauge died (got stuck at empty).

commander112
12-09-09, 08:49 AM
I am about to piss on your day but I'm sorry, why did the selling dealer not get right on this issue and call you with the results of their inspection on the SAME DAY? I know for a fact that if my car went down a week after I purchased it my servicing dealer would look at it immediately and report that the car is fixed or the status of the repair that same day. I would be more pissed about the lack of service from the dealer than the fact that the car broke down. Sorry that this happened to you. I hope it turns out to be simply an out of gas situation and guage replacement or adjustment.
In my case, my car was built with the painted rims on it but the dealer swapped out the rims and put on the polished ones. Half way home from the dealer the tire pressure warning light came on and I called the dealer. I know I could have gone through the manual and reprogrammed the sensors on my own but the dealer sent someone to my house that evening with the quick handheld programmer and had me up in running in about five minutes. That, my friends, is proper treatment of the buyer of a new car.

Vrocks
12-09-09, 09:06 AM
Thats sucks but I'd be surprised if the car isn't back to 100% soon.

As for the rental car; Enterprise is a s*** company and they play games with GM. If Enterprise wasn't a scum operation (I don't know why GM doesn't go after them), you'd have a Cadillac for a loaner.

Z06ified
12-09-09, 09:28 AM
I just called the dealer, and he said they're still working on it, and don't know what's wrong yet. I told him I think I know what the problem is (thanks to you guys): the car is out of gas and it's got a faulty fuel gauge/sending unit. Now that I think back on it, I recall driving home from work the night before, and thinking it was a bit interesting that the fuel gauge didn't seem to move down as much as in the past (previously it seemed like you can actually watch the fuel gauge needle go down as you drive with this car LOL). If the average MPG on the computer of 14.6 MPG is correct, then there couldn't be any more than 0.5 gallons in the tank, even though the gauge is saying there is 3.6 gallons.

JFJr
12-09-09, 09:31 AM
Good info! Thanks.

I am a little compulsive about cleaning and fuel...and probably about 5000 other things...:yup::bigroll:For what it's worth, I always burn "top tier" premium in my cars from oil companies like Shell, Texaco, Chevron, etc. There is a list if you Google "top tier fuel." These gasolines have more cleanser additives than other brands and will help keep your high performance cars running smoothly.

MGGuy
12-09-09, 10:20 AM
Feel sorry for your bad luck. My M3 went to the dealer on a rollback 3 times in its life and when they didn't have a loaner there was no rental car fallback. I'm sure it'll get sorted out quickly.

wfo
12-09-09, 10:55 AM
We all know from time to time "crap" happens to good people and cars. I hope this doesn't change your mind. Anything mechanical built by humans and integrated with automation can be a crap shoot for any level and price range of car.

The CTS-V is an aweosme car. I'm sure you'll ask and get a full report....They should be able to get it right.

Let us know if you get a chance.

DrumStix
12-09-09, 01:51 PM
Did u put gas in it?

CIWS
12-09-09, 02:22 PM
You getting a crap loaner is a dealership issue. Some dealerships have their own loaner fleet (like Sewell) and some use a rental company. Honestly a question you the customer should ask when buying from them or dealing with their service department.

Mine went into the service department first thing yesterday morning when the doors opened, was car #1 in the door. They called yesterday evening at 5:30 to tell me they didn't have a chance to look at it yet ? Again not GM's fault, that's a dealership issue. However it does weigh in when I'm making decisions about what to purchase next. I haven't heard from them yet today. My loaner is a CTS.

This is Sewell on lemon for you D/FW folks.

GM-4-LIFE
12-09-09, 02:40 PM
WOW! Sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds like it may be a faulty fuel guage sending unit. In the future, try to run only Chevron 91. That is all I have used in the past few years in all my cars and I have never had this sending unit go bad.

It may have just been a faulty sending unit or bad gas that caused the sending unit to go bad. It has been known to happen.

Please keep us up to date on your situation.

SG

Seattle CTS-V
12-09-09, 03:30 PM
Just so you don't feel too bad about the Saturn you're stuck driving I want you to know that every time I bring my $100k Porsche Cayenne Turbo to the dealer they stick me in some kind of plastic Enterprise rental as well...

RWFJR
12-09-09, 04:09 PM
Just so you don't feel too bad about the Saturn you're stuck driving I want you to know that every time I bring my $100k Porsche Cayenne Turbo to the dealer they stick me in some kind of plastic Enterprise rental as well...

Thought I had it bad. Pontiac G6. Windows were not tinted. Hoped no one would see me in this piece of %^$#...junk.

Sorry my friend...Looking forward to hearing what is wrong with your car.

Z06ified
12-09-09, 04:11 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer - they didn't call me with an update, so I called them. Turns out it was out of gas, and there was a defective sending unit for the gas gauge giving incorrect level readings! Kudos to backup, nynd, and Gary Wells - you guys diagnosed it perfectly. :thumbsup: They put a couple of gallons of gas in, and it fired right up. :burn:

They ordered the replacement part from Lansing, MI, and it should be here Thursday afternoon, although the car probably won't be ready until Friday. They have to drop the gas tank to replace it. Apparently its a combined unit with the fuel pump combined with the sending unit.

I feel better about it now, knowing there was nothing wrong with the engine or anything intermittent. It really is something stupid. :rolleyes: It is a quality defect, although the rest of the car is perfect as far as I can tell.

Can't wait to get my car back. I'm taking my Z06 to work tomorrow so I don't have to drive the Saturn another day. :thepan:

RWFJR
12-09-09, 04:18 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer - they didn't call me with an update, so I called them. Turns out it was out of gas, and there was a defective sending unit for the gas gauge giving incorrect level readings! Kudos to backup, nynd, and Gary Wells - you guys diagnosed it perfectly. :thumbsup: They put a couple of gallons of gas in, and it fired right up. :burn:

They ordered the replacement part from Lansing, MI, and it should be here Thursday afternoon, although the car probably won't be ready until Friday. They have to drop the gas tank to replace it. Apparently its a combined unit with the fuel pump combined with the sending unit.

I feel better about it now, knowing there was nothing wrong with the engine or anything intermittent. It really is something stupid. :rolleyes: It is a quality defect, although the rest of the car is perfect as far as I can tell.

Can't wait to get my car back. I'm taking my Z06 to work tomorrow so I don't have to drive the Saturn another day. :thepan:

Excellent news...My question? Did the engine...ie supercharger, pistons or any other internal parts of the engine sustain any damage from running out of gas?

There are others on this forum that can answer this much better than I can...

jvp
12-09-09, 04:18 PM
Can't wait to get my car back. I'm taking my Z06 to work tomorrow so I don't have to drive the Saturn another day.

Good to hear it was an "easy" fix. And for what it's worth, I generally turn the rent-a-car offer down, and just have the dealer transport me home. I've got a GMC 2500HD at home that I'd rather drive, vs. whatever the rent-a-wreck agency has on hand. :-)

jas

commander112
12-09-09, 04:44 PM
Good news. Take the Saturn back today and enjoy your V until the part arrives then take your car in and get a Caddy for a rental while your car is in the shop.

Z06ified
12-09-09, 04:57 PM
Good news. Take the Saturn back today and enjoy your V until the part arrives then take your car in and get a Caddy for a rental while your car is in the shop.

Wish I could - I thought of that too. But unfortunately they removed the fuel tank already. :(

cbloveday
12-09-09, 05:04 PM
Glad it was something as simple as that.
Hope you get your vehicle back soon.

chopmeat
12-09-09, 05:08 PM
Cool!
I'm glad for you!
I didn't really think it was anything big because most of us are enjoying this great car!!!!!!

way2evil1
12-09-09, 05:12 PM
John sorry to hear but glad that your problem got resolved with no major motor problems.
maybe see you at the beach with your new ride Sunday

CTSVeee
12-09-09, 05:18 PM
Glad to hear it was nothing serious. :)

I suppose it's a good thing this car passes everything but a gas station...because I'm always watching the needle in this car. :yup:

Z06ified
12-09-09, 05:59 PM
John sorry to hear but glad that your problem got resolved with no major motor problems.
maybe see you at the beach with your new ride Sunday

I think it's supposed to snow or rain Sunday:eek: But if it doesn't, I'll be there! I was there 2 weeks ago when it was nice out but didn't see you. There were a TON of cars there, but not a single V. I guess these cars are still rare.

neuronbob
12-09-09, 06:14 PM
:woot: for simple problems. Glad it wasn't the engine.

Indyblue98
12-09-09, 06:32 PM
I drive a 2007 STS-V , so this might not be relevant on the CTS-V .
But when the STS-V is put in Comp Mode there is no Low Fuel message displayed. The other day I noticed the neeedle getting very low , so i scrolled past the Comp mode message to get to the Range...VERY LOW FUEL was then displayed. Went 2 miles to a station and put in 17.1 gallons ,
that's less than half a gallon remaining.:eek:

Gary Wells
12-09-09, 06:57 PM
I drive a 2007 STS-V , so this might not be relevant on the CTS-V .
But when the STS-V is put in Comp Mode there is no Low Fuel message displayed. The other day I noticed the neeedle getting very low , so i scrolled past the Comp mode message to get to the Range...VERY LOW FUEL was then displayed. Went 2 miles to a station and put in 17.1 gallons ,
that's less than half a gallon remaining.:eek:
Now there's some scary info. I'm glad that there was no major permanent damage to the system. This thread has really brought me to my senses very quick. I was getting in the habit of letting the tank get pretty low, but I don't always drive in comp mode. I think that I need to do some thought process readjustment here. I have never had the low level fuel light or warning come on that I remember, but I think that I will keep more fuel in there now.

CIWS
12-09-09, 08:44 PM
I think it's supposed to snow or rain Sunday:eek: But if it doesn't, I'll be there! I was there 2 weeks ago when it was nice out but didn't see you. There were a TON of cars there, but not a single V. I guess these cars are still rare.

Glad to hear they've found your issue and you should have your ride back soon. :thumbsup:

They did fix my car today, but it was also returned with a 4" scratch on the driver's side rear door. Took it back and showed the service advisor, which they now have to also fix. Be sure to inspect your car carefully when you pick it up. :yup:

cshanklin
12-09-09, 09:08 PM
I had a problem that sounds similar. The first time the car was towed they replaced a fuel pump control module. The car ran fine until I was 200 miles from home the following week. I was then towed to another dealer, with an overnight stay at a local hotel, and they then replaced the fuel pump. It has now performed flawlessly for over 5000 miles. It really upset me at the time but I'm glad I hung in there with this car...I love it.

Good luck.
Craig

mpouls1
12-09-09, 10:28 PM
Glad you got your situation resolved. This is probably unrelated but has anyone else noticed this? My fuel level is around 1 mark above empty but the low mileage message has not been indicated yet. If I park the car and come back out and start it, suddenly the gauge is at zero and the indicator light comes on :holycrap: . This has happened a couple times. For some reason I have problems noticing how how fast this car guzzles gas. I think maybe because the steering wheel kinda blocks my view. 3/09 AT.

Baxman
12-09-09, 11:54 PM
Excellent news...My question? Did the engine...ie supercharger, pistons or any other internal parts of the engine sustain any damage from running out of gas?

There are others on this forum that can answer this much better than I can...

Having had just one tank of fuel reside there, there would not be any sediment or precipitate at the bottom of the tank to cause a problem (typically injectors, I think).

I ran out of gas last week, semi-deliberately. I was trying to get the tank very low to see if I could get more than 18 gallons in it; auto manufacturers are notoriously conservative about fuel capacity and range. I ran out idling at an espresso stand one block from the Costco fill'er-up, but I was prepared with a one gallon gas can. Once at Costco she took EXACTLY 17 gallons. My conclusions:

The V holds 18 gallons as advertised, no more
When the low fuel warning appears in the DIC, I've got two gallons, or enough for 28-40 miles
The fuel gage needle does not go below "E"
When the V's tank goes dry, there's no coaxing another mile or two out of it, you're done

thebigjimsho
12-10-09, 12:39 AM
Not that I'm complaining, but this car swallows gas. My buddy has a Mach1 with 4.11 gears that you could watch the gas gauge move downward. My V is the 2nd car I've been able to see the gauge actually move.

Well, not really. But I like to get in a groove sometimes and stopping every 3+ hours to get gas kinda ruins the mojo... :histeric:

cmicasa
12-10-09, 07:20 AM
First... the guy who called the G6 a POS can go jump off a cliff.:duck:(I jk)

I have a '06 3.5L as my daily driver and have yet to an issue with it within its 95K miles. It's as good as any Altima, Fusion, or Camry of the same year IMO.. and definitely better at performance than any of them. I will admit tho.. I wish I had of waited for the current Malibu. In LTZ form it might just be better than the ES350, and certainly doesn't try to kill U like the Lexus does.:nono:

Second... Are u telling me I just got frantic after reading the first post of this thread... only to sift thru a bunch of condolences to find that the issue was the OP ran outta gas?:bonkers:

I guess my issue is that I never let my car go below a 1/2 tank. A 556HP $65K car should never be allowed to have a low tank of gas. Hell no car should.

Third... This car is as fast as a Corvette, 911, Viper, Gallardo, and several Ferraris... Its heavier and accommodates more people and still gets better fuel economy than all of them except it's cousin the Vette and the Vettes rival, the 911

Z06ified
12-10-09, 10:23 AM
Second... Are u telling me I just got frantic after reading the first post of this thread... only to sift thru a bunch of condolences to find that the issue was the OP ran outta gas?:bonkers:

Yes, that is correct. But it was not the OP's fault, as the car had a DEFECTIVE fuel level sending unit, causing the fuel gauge to read nearly 1/4 tank more fuel than what was really there.

I don't think I'm out of line in expecting my new car to have a fuel gauge that is more than 25% accurate. :suspect:

If this was an aircraft, it would have resulted in a crash (or at least an unpowered landing).

RWFJR
12-10-09, 10:32 AM
First... the guy who called the G6 a POS can go jump off a cliff.:duck:(I jk)

I have a '06 3.5L as my daily driver and have yet to an issue with it within its 95K miles. It's as good as any Altima, Fusion, or Camry of the same year IMO.. and definitely better at performance than any of them. I will admit tho.. I wish I had of waited for the current Malibu. In LTZ form it might just be better than the ES350, and certainly doesn't try to kill U like the Lexus does.:nono:

I guess my issue is that I never let my car go below a 1/2 tank. A 556HP $65K car should never be allowed to have a low tank of gas. Hell no car should.

Third... This car is as fast as a Corvette, 911, Viper, Gallardo, and several Ferraris... Its heavier and accommodates more people and still gets better fuel economy than all of them except it's cousin the Vette and the Vettes rival, the 911

I'm not jumping...Get a life dude!:cookoo:

12-10-09, 01:39 PM
They have to drop the gas tank to replace it. Apparently its a combined unit with the fuel pump combined with the sending unit.

Glad to hear it was simple. Surprised to hear that they need to drop the tank. The combined units are nothing new, but I had thought that they were putting access panels in the trunks or interiors of many cars to allow access to the pumps and senders without going through the PITA of dropping the tank.

Albertan
12-10-09, 02:40 PM
Be thankful you don't have the new 7 series BMW. I was reading in a plastics industry magazine that the new tank has all the guts put in it then it is welded together! I can just imagine the cost and wait time to get whole gas tanks sent from Germany. On the other hand the old E36 do have access covers under the rear seat. Less than 2 hours to replace fuel pump on that car. (Of course, that is the only thing real easy on that car.

tbss08
12-10-09, 07:23 PM
One thing folks need to remember with the fuel injected cars the fuel pump gets cooled by the gas it is pumping. If you run the car low on fuel it could starve the pump and cause it to overheat which will lead to early failures of the pump. I try to not let mine get below a quarter tank in any of our vehicles.

Glad to see the dealer fixing your car and hope all turns out well.

cbloveday
12-10-09, 09:25 PM
One thing folks need to remember with the fuel injected cars the fuel pump gets cooled by the gas it is pumping. If you run the car low on fuel it could starve the pump and cause it to overheat which will lead to early failures of the pump. I try to not let mine get below a quarter tank in any of our vehicles.

Good info there. I was unaware of that. I usually keep at least a 1/4 tank in there and with the winter season in Chicago and 2 degrees today, I worry about gas line problems. Car is garage kept. However, chance favors the prepared mind.

GMX322V S/C
12-10-09, 09:54 PM
Ah, guys, it's sumped.

Karch
12-18-09, 07:48 PM

Good point, but then again, seeing that you also own a TBSS, I'd expect it.
Me? I am hoping to get one of these V's to join my TBSS.

Mike 09 V
12-18-09, 11:25 PM
I was on my way to get gas when the low fuel indicator came on. So it was only a couple miles before I was able to fill it up. I had about 3.5 gallons left when the low fuel indicator showed up. I'll bet everyone is different a little bit. For all the time I have owned a car, the manuals always say the gauge is approximate, and if you look at the dealer info if it is within +- 3 gallons of the actual amount in the tank it is considered normal. Good practice to keep some gas in the tank at all times. I ran out of gas in 1980 for the last time and swore I would never let that happen again. Peace of mind is a good thing.

tbss08
12-19-09, 07:13 AM
Good point, but then again, seeing that you also own a TBSS, I'd expect it.
Me? I am hoping to get one of these V's to join my TBSS.

Between the V, AWD TrailBlazer SS, 96 Impala SS, 94 K2500 Suburban w/454 and our sons GMC Sierra 1500 we keep the gas stations happy. I think the Impala gets the best mileage out of all the vehicles.
I've managed to average 16.5 MPG with the V and my wife gets 17.6 MPG average with the TBSS.