: Head Gasket Leak : NO OVERHEAT with coolant supplement

Eldorado_RED
08-07-04, 04:32 AM
How you fellas doing? I got great news and bad news on my trials and tribulations with head gaskets (dealer says i got an internal head gasket leak, bolts are pulling out the block) . Well i went to the dealership i got 6 pellets which i installed in the top radiator hose. Keep the car running idle for about 15 mins, then revved the engine up for about 2 mins (the temperature started to climb when i did this). THe whole while, steaming is steadily flowing out the exhaust, non stop. So i got it off and call it a night.

The next day, i decide to give it a try. I crank the car up, no steam out the exhuast. The temperature meter climbed slowly (which it used to do before the overheating problem). So i decide to take it for a drive. Stop and go traffic for a mile or two. No prob, meter stays steady right at the center. So i decide to get on the highway for about 4 or 5 miles, im pushing it near 90 at times. NO OVERHEAT. But as soon as i pull into my driveway......the temperature meter starts to move forward. This broke my heart and spirit. But it did give me some hope

My question is, if i add more pellets, will that help as it seemed to stopped the car from overheating for a little while?
Do i have to wait a certain period before adding more pellets?
How much is too much to add?
What do u think caused it to overheat again after that short drive?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam

Ranger
08-08-04, 09:42 PM
Sealant tabs were not meant to cure a leaky head gasket. If infact you have a bad head gasket the tabs are just a band aid and probably only give temporary relief.
There is no waiting period to add more but I don't know how much is too much.
Remember, the pressures and temuratures in the cylinders are quite high. I suspect they are high enough to unplug what the tabs plugged up over a short time. Unfortunately I think there is no easy way to fix a bad head gasket.

Eldorado_RED
08-10-04, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the replay Ranger sir. I think i remembered reading on a post one time about a guy that kept his car running fine by constantly adding coolant and seal tabs for his head gasket prob. I was hoping to do the same. I would be happy to get at least 100,000 out of this car, even if i gotta drive it straight to hell haha. Thanks for your time

Sam

caddysts
08-10-04, 03:17 PM
I saw a liquid head gasket repair stuff in a can you add to your radiator in advance auto parts today ....heck its worth a try, but dont get too excited.

Ranger
08-10-04, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the replay Ranger sir. I think i remembered reading on a post one time about a guy that kept his car running fine by constantly adding coolant and seal tabs for his head gasket prob. I was hoping to do the same. I would be happy to get at least 100,000 out of this car, even if i gotta drive it straight to hell haha. Thanks for your time

Sam
Stranger things have happened and anything is possible. It it is a very small leak, maybe it will work. Nothing to loose by trying. Best of luck.

Quadrasteer
08-10-04, 11:08 PM
There's a new product from Bar's Leaks just for head gasket repair. It's # 1100. It's so new that the only place it's mentioned on the site is at the end of the cooling system stop leak FAQs. I guess you can call them (800 521-7475).

dkozloski
08-12-04, 03:38 AM
NAPA sells a radiator stop leak product that is made from sawdust and oil well drilling mud (Bentonite) that fixed a cracked block in a Continental engine in a Clark forklift for me that has held for years. It comes in a blue plastic bottle with a small neck.