: Parking brake. This might just help you one day.

Rob Benham
12-08-09, 03:44 AM
I got the car back from a local one-man-band repair shop. He'd done something to the rear brakes - but not much help.

The parking brake wouldn't stay on.

He disappeared out of state.:want:

After two years (it's very flat here Like 2' up is a mountain) the guy at the inspection place failed it. I set about it today.

After an hour of groveling about on the floor of the car and under the hood, I'd got it out. I put it in the vice and set about trying to find out how it worked.

The rectangular spring that winds round the hold-on clutch was hooked over something. I released it. It worked.

I could have done it in the car :canttalk:

Now, the thing is, do 'engineers' hook this spring up so that they can keep pressing the pedal without it locking on ? Cost if that's what he did, I'm going to suggest he owes me about three hours of my life. That's if he ever comes back.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-08-09, 11:29 AM
You have to get your car inspected like that? Mine would fail so horribly. The diaphragm on the Brougham is shot so the parking brake won't lock unless I reach under there and screw with it a bit. The parking brake cable on the Lincoln is cut about halfway back for some reason. I bought it like that but I never use the parking brake so its no big worry to me.

mjs182004
12-10-09, 09:16 AM
I'm glad I don't have that kind of an inspection. I'm afraid to apply the parking brake, because it would probably engage and then break. That would be just my luck. The only inspection I have is E-check.

The-Dullahan
12-11-09, 09:33 PM
Muahahahaha! They have NO INSPECTION IN MY STATE! People can (and do) drive ANY piece of crap down here. No exhaust pipes, no hood, leaky oil with clouds of blue emission, no blinkers, no headlights, no brake lights and in some cases, no brakes whatsoever...

My car WOULD, however pass inspection and was in Massachusetts just over a year ago and passed inspection there.