: Sticky Turns

roarkb
12-08-09, 12:05 AM
I love the G-meter as it has helped me get a feel for the real capability of this car.

I have turn 1.18 g's turning left and 1.08 turning to the right on stock tires.

What is your best turn?

2k9RedV
12-08-09, 12:22 AM
I have no idea, I haven't been brave enough to take my eyes off the road to look through the steering wheel to see the G-meter. I have taken some pretty spirited curves and corners though :)
Heads up display with the G-meter, tach and speedo would have been awesome!!!

asabase
12-08-09, 01:28 AM
Is there a way to reset the limits on the gmeter? Also anyone know if there is a secret menu. My 300C has lots of menus if you hold down two steering wheel buttons for 5-7 seconds (digital speedo, fuel, actual temp reading, oil pressure, etc).

marktanner
12-08-09, 09:51 AM
The G meter keeps the highest attained g force in each direction in the memory, and it's displayed as the range of Gs available in the DIC. To reset, just press the reset button, which is the check mark button. The meter displays the peak G force in a turn for a brief time after the turn, so you don't have to scan the meter mid-turn. You do need to do it right after, though, as it disappears quickly.

2k9RedV
12-08-09, 10:39 AM
The G meter keeps the highest attained g force in each direction in the memory, and it's displayed as the range of Gs available in the DIC. To reset, just press the reset button, which is the check mark button. The meter displays the peak G force in a turn for a brief time after the turn, so you don't have to scan the meter mid-turn. You do need to do it right after, though, as it disappears quickly.

nice to know :bouncy:

demorgan59
12-08-09, 11:27 AM
After 2100 miles my max is .89 right. I need to get with the program.

Low_ET
12-08-09, 11:23 PM
In my first 5,000 miles I have:

Left----------------Right
1.03---------------0.96

It keeps going up every time I find an interesting corner.

roarkb
05-12-10, 10:53 PM
It was a pretty day today. Weather warm and sun shining. I was really enjoying pushing the V to its limits. C:\Users\Bill\Pictures\1-2g.jpg

1.21 G's turning left --- Unbelievable

roarkb
05-12-10, 10:55 PM
Not sure how to post the picture of the G meter or I would post it.

cbloveday
05-12-10, 11:27 PM
It is in your DIC (Driver instrument cluster)
to get the DIC to show the G meter in the DIC, look to the the left of your steeering wheel. You'll see a set of buttons.
Keep pushing the one with the pic of a (car & i) It stands for car information.
Eventually you will see the G meter

roarkb
05-12-10, 11:34 PM
I have the picture of the G meter, just not sure how to post it on this column.

lawnstripes
05-13-10, 10:19 PM
it was a pretty day today. Weather warm and sun shining. I was really enjoying pushing the v to its limits. c:usersbillpictures1-2g.jpg

1.21 g's turning left --- unbelievable

nice!

Nutz
05-14-10, 01:10 AM
It was a pretty day today. Weather warm and sun shining. I was really enjoying pushing the V to its limits. C:UsersBillPictures1-2g.jpg

1.21 G's turning left --- UnbelievableThe img tag will work if the image is stored in Photobucket or another database.

What are your tire pressures?? How much tread?

Silver -V-
05-14-10, 12:29 PM
I had a nice week at the track, Tires were sticking, and the brakes didn't overheat. - 1.26 L/1.18 R

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/GMeter5-2010001.jpg

1-2-N-V
05-14-10, 04:27 PM
I had a nice week at the track, Tires were sticking, and the brakes didn't overheat. - 1.26 L/1.18 R

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/GMeter5-2010001.jpg

So then... Why is it that the Engineers or Techie from Inside line http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/cts-v/2009/full-test-2009-cadillac-cts-v.html can only manage a .92 How is this measured, i always wondered? I am sure they use more sophisticated equipment but i really don't know??????

GMX322V S/C
05-14-10, 11:03 PM
Constant-radius skidpad vs. transient/instantaneous...

jwa999
05-14-10, 11:09 PM
They test it going in circles until the wheels start giving way. I have 1.30g going left, because there's a left turn on my way to work I can "jump" into. It crosses the street into a two lane, a little bumpy and going up slightly. The V negotiates it beautifully, but the tires don't keep contact with the road the whole time. As it regains contact, it lands, creating lots of g-force, will slip a little. Voila, 1.3g. I love the hankooks btw, they allow for a little more controlled sliding than the ps2s in the rear. God i love this car. If I had to choose between my 996tt and the V, I still will choose the 996, but it sure's getting closer. Time to upgrade the 996's suspension.

Hans.

roarkb
05-14-10, 11:26 PM
The img tag will work if the image is stored in Photobucket or another database.

What are your tire pressures?? How much tread?

Tire pressure 33 psi. The tires are the PS2's and have 13,5xx miles on them. The rear tires need to be replaced shortly. Just below the tread bars. I have new tires in the garage waiting to be mounted. I want to get a couple of passes at the dragstrip and will not be able to do that till next Friday.

The turn I am making is down a left off ramp with a 90 degree turn to a two lane wide road at the bottom. Visibility is very good so I can see that there is no traffic as I exit. their is no guardrail to hit just a grassy field. Speed is about 45mph as I enter the turn. Car is very stable all through the turn. I think it will clearly do more as I am trying a little faster each day. The car is clearly much more capable than I am brave.

I once tried this turn with a couple of bowling balls in the trunk... I don't recommend that....

roarkb
05-14-10, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Silver -V-;2244152]I had a nice week at the track, Tires were sticking, and the brakes didn't overheat. - 1.26 L/1.18 R

That is incredible. Stock tires?

Silver -V-
05-15-10, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=Silver -V-;2244152]I had a nice week at the track, Tires were sticking, and the brakes didn't overheat. - 1.26 L/1.18 R

That is incredible. Stock tires?

That is with the PS2's, but I have also matched it with my track tires several times.

The Track tires are 18" Falken Azenis 615's which get very sticky and seem to hold better than the PS2's. The PS2's are quite similiar and let you know better when they are going to give up adhesion. The UTQ rating is the same for both tires, but the Falkens on an 18" wheel are about half the cost of a set of PS2's. With the 18" wheels, I get a bit lower rolling mass, and more torque in the corners, both good things for a road course.

1-2-N-V
05-17-10, 07:58 AM
They test it going in circles until the wheels start giving way. I have 1.30g going left, because there's a left turn on my way to work I can "jump" into. It crosses the street into a two lane, a little bumpy and going up slightly. The V negotiates it beautifully, but the tires don't keep contact with the road the whole time. As it regains contact, it lands, creating lots of g-force, will slip a little. Voila, 1.3g. I love the hankooks btw, they allow for a little more controlled sliding than the ps2s in the rear. God i love this car. If I had to choose between my 996tt and the V, I still will choose the 996, but it sure's getting closer. Time to upgrade the 996's suspension.

Hans.

Really? You Love the Hankooks? I have them on my car too. Figured to save some money try them out but i have to say they are not PS2s. Quick Turning is a bit spongy. They seem to wiggle when you do some quick tire scrubbing left and right. They seem to bounce back like when the steering centers again. Some decent traction from launch. I'd like to try some of that drifting your talking about but that would have to be in some remote parking lot.

I loved the Crisp turn in of the PS2s. I would sell these but maybe i have not given them a fair shake. They are much better in the rain i feel but that is not what these cars were designed for. High speed with these are fairly confident. Maybe they would be a decent track or auto cross but i think the next time around I will go back to the Michelins.

jwa999
05-17-10, 02:12 PM
Really? You Love the Hankooks? I have them on my car too. Figured to save some money try them out but i have to say they are not PS2s. Quick Turning is a bit spongy. They seem to wiggle when you do some quick tire scrubbing left and right. They seem to bounce back like when the steering centers again. Some decent traction from launch. I'd like to try some of that drifting your talking about but that would have to be in some remote parking lot.

I had to break them in hard for the first 500 miles. I played with different tire pressures, finally settled on low 30s. They have a stiffer sidewall, so a lower tire pressure reduces that bounce back. I put then on my 996 in the rear and I had to reduce the tire pressure from 44 to 41, otherwise they constantly push back hard under load.

1-2-N-V
05-17-10, 05:22 PM
I had to break them in hard for the first 500 miles. I played with different tire pressures, finally settled on low 30s. They have a stiffer sidewall, so a lower tire pressure reduces that bounce back. I put then on my 996 in the rear and I had to reduce the tire pressure from 44 to 41, otherwise they constantly push back hard under load.

You see, to me, they seem less stiff, like kind of soft i thought. And i do run them at 28 cold and they warm up to 32-33 half way to work. Yeah they definitely needed break in. They seemed very loose when new but good now. You know, the backs are an inch wider at the tread too. The fronts were the same though. You measure that too? I just think the PS2 rear tread was sort of rolled under the side wall where the V12 tread is pretty but straight below the side wall if you follow me here. Strange to me not sure why there is a difference. Maybe that's the difference in handling characteristics? Who knows? But if any one wants some cheap tires maybe that the way to go for you. I will spend the money an get the best next year.