: Cold Weather Performance

thunderd
12-07-09, 07:10 PM
Just checking to see how other V owners have seen performance in cold weather, i.e below 30/40. I have a 2006 V with 30,000 on the clock. Bought early 09 and this is the first real cold weather in the car. Also, I just had the V in for service and had them update the latest ECM software. Everything seemed normal until the temp dropped here in the midwest. Throttle response is now jerky and it seems that the smooth 4 to 3 downshift under slight throttle that i have been used to is now replaced by more boost in 4 until i put enough throttle to a more abrupt shift into 2nd. I know these cars are very tempermental until they reach operating temps and have had a supercharged car in the past that was similarly tempermental until heated up. I understand these are very sophistiated engines that have much more precise air/fuel requirements such that temp can be a factor. However, this behavior seems to last after car has heated up.

Question is, are these cars just more tempermental in very cold temps or should i be concerned?

Thanks guys

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-07-09, 07:31 PM
REmote start on cold mornings is your friend. Use it to warm her up a little. My 06 runs a crap load stronger in the winter. If I could keep the intake temps of winter and the traction of summer, this car would be balls to the wall..

She is a performance car so let her warm up before getting on it.

BTW I just 70k

CIWS
12-07-09, 07:35 PM
Mine loves this cold air, but like Dan said I remote start and let the car get nice and warm before I take off.

On a side note she goes to the dealership tomorrow to deal with the creaking in the cold from the front end control arms. Wonder how long it will get to sit there waiting parts. :( Looks like V withdrawal will be striking again.

silverws6ta
12-07-09, 09:57 PM
Did you also have the TCM tune updated as well in your '06 while you were there? Are you in Sport(D) or regular (D)?

I'm going to join Dan and CIWS here on this; let her warm up.. Mine is usually started in my garage which rarely gets under 50 degrees but oh the cold air temps brings out the HP demons in these cars!!

I drove mine to the office this morning; seat heater about roasted my arse!!

CIWS
12-07-09, 11:10 PM
I had a guy this morning in a Toyota Tundra pickup who didn't like my quick starts and accelerations. (I'm letting her enjoy the cold air :p) He kept flashing his brights at me. So like an ass I'd let him catch back up at a light and when it went green I'd take off and Mr. Flasher would go at it again. :histeric:

(I know, I suck)

jedhead
12-08-09, 02:11 AM
I sure seem to have much more power when its in low 50's outside instead of 100 outside. I hope it stays cool through Saturday. I going to run the car on the dyno to get a baseline.

Bob

dhemrick
12-08-09, 01:40 PM
I had a guy this morning in a Toyota Tundra pickup who didn't like my quick starts and accelerations. (I'm letting her enjoy the cold air :p) He kept flashing his brights at me. So like an ass I'd let him catch back up at a light and when it went green I'd take off and Mr. Flasher would go at it again. :histeric:

(I know, I suck)

He's just jealous because he drives a TRD vehicle. :nyanya: Keep rockin' it out!

inurok
12-08-09, 04:12 PM
Wow I just turn the key wait for the rpm to drop below 1000 and Drive. No huge notice cold vs. hot other than noiser exhaust.

thunderd
12-14-09, 06:59 PM
Did you also have the TCM tune updated as well in your '06 while you were there? Are you in Sport(D) or regular (D)?

I'm going to join Dan and CIWS here on this; let her warm up.. Mine is usually started in my garage which rarely gets under 50 degrees but oh the cold air temps brings out the HP demons in these cars!!

I drove mine to the office this morning; seat heater about roasted my arse!!

I have not had the TCM update. After driving more and using manual shift, the engine seems to pull just as hard, but shift points are completely different on downshifts following ECM update. I may go back in and request the TCM update. Anyone else have experience with the ECM update and not the TCM update to see if this is the issue?

Thanks guys. It truly is a great resource to have this group to share knowledge and experience. Unfortunatley it seems that we owners know more about these cars tahn most cadillac dealers. Keep up the good work!!

silverws6ta
12-14-09, 07:38 PM
I have not had the TCM update. After driving more and using manual shift, the engine seems to pull just as hard, but shift points are completely different on downshifts following ECM update. I may go back in and request the TCM update. Anyone else have experience with the ECM update and not the TCM update to see if this is the issue?

Thanks guys. It truly is a great resource to have this group to share knowledge and experience. Unfortunatley it seems that we owners know more about these cars tahn most cadillac dealers. Keep up the good work!!

If you use calid.gm.com and plug in your VIN and drill down to ECM/TCM updates you can see the respective changes along with part numbers - EFILive can read this information from the modules on the CAN bus to confirm.

I can't remember exactly but yes there were revised shiftpoints put into production, and also some 'tweaks if you will' with the updated calibration info. I have the Wait4ME ECM installed and I just drive in S(D) -- if I am in 6th running 70, apply moderate throttle for TC unlock one downshift, press slightly again down to 4th.. to the floor hold the hell on and jump up to 3rd and off to the races!!

The initial TCM calibration was force a 'hunt' for the correct gear sometimes and led to a nerve racking downshift -- and the same for upshift..

P/N 24237932 CVN 0000AA5D New Calibration for transmission shift improvements

Maybe ewill3rd can chime in on this.. and I can do some digging again myself.. tis2web is having a moment right now and not bringing up the chart or I would paste the entire section.