: torque angle meter?

buggin123
12-07-09, 05:28 PM
All right, I think this is probably self evident but before I just conclude the obvious I'll ask the pros!! Torque sequence for head bolts states 30 ft lbs and then 60 degree's plus 60 degree's and then finally 60 final degree's now Do I need to purchase the kent moore electronic gizmo (pn J-36660-A)or is a protractor the same for determining the correct amount of angle??

Submariner409
12-07-09, 05:34 PM
A protractor cut so as to slip around the work in question thereby showing correct angular movement, is just fine, but the nature of the beast says that sometimes there just isn't room to lay a protractor in there.........

Taspeed
12-07-09, 08:05 PM
autozone carries a cheap one that i've used. I always mark the bolt with a perm marker and mark the angle on the motor or around the bolt being tightened. Then just tighten till the marks line up. Autozone model is about 15 bucks i think.

ewill3rd
12-07-09, 08:51 PM
You can get a relatively inexpensive manual one, look at a local parts store.
If you know what you are looking for they are actually easy to find.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3057-lisle-28100.aspx

If a torque spec calls for angle you really need one.

Ranger
12-07-09, 10:14 PM
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have to ask. What's the cable for?

ewill3rd
12-08-09, 08:43 AM
You clamp it to something stationary so that part of the tool stays still while the othe part rotates so you can read the degrees.
GM's older unit was similar to that but it was still digital, it used a rotational sensor in the tool but part of it had to be still while the center rotated.
The new one is fancy shmancy, it uses some crystal thing to detect rotation and it measures the angle with no moving parts, you just clip it on to the extension and zero it before you start to turn.

tateos
12-08-09, 02:23 PM
I used this one - bought it direct form SPX - it sucked - harsh words, I know, but hard to keep anchored, and it kept falling apart. I would not use it again:

http://www.etoolcart.com/torqueanglemeterotc4554.aspx

dkozloski
12-08-09, 03:34 PM
Each facet on the head of a hex bolt is 60 degrees. Use a Sharpee to mark the head where you start and use the next corner to judge where you stop for 60 degrees. Go to the middle of the next flat for thirty degrees rather than the corner. There is no need to get bogged down picking the fly poop out of the pepper.

bigtone
12-08-09, 03:42 PM
As mentioned above, go by the flats on the bolts. We're not building rockets here. Besides many car engines over the years, I've torqued headbolts on more Harley engines that I could count, which also have a torque to gasket crush spec. And Harleys are even more tempermental than Northstars, and also occasionally pull a stud. To me a good estimate of 60 degrees is close enough.

ewill3rd
12-08-09, 04:40 PM
Koz makes a good point, for weird angles I use the meter, for simple ones like 90 or something I can eyeball I usually just do so.
For critical applications I will go get the tool.

Krashed989
12-08-09, 04:59 PM
I just estimated it when I did my dads gaskets. It's still running strong.

buggin123
12-08-09, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the insight, I didn't realize that there were cheap versions available, I went to autozone and picked up a cheap manual version for 10 bucks, very simple to use, and compact so it will be easy to store in my tool chest.