: Where do you sell your textbooks?

Stingroo
12-07-09, 03:41 AM
I know this is a Cadillac forum, etc. etc. But I also know that I'm NOT the only college student here. Since the end of the semester is rapidly approaching for us, (for me, finals start today, Monday, and my first one is in 5 and a half hours, but hey, I LOVE ME SOME CADILLACFORUMS.COM!)

So anyway... where do you guys sell your textbooks when it comes to that time? I know we can't all just KEEP these things.... I have one that the bookstore had listed at $141, and I bought it, but never opened, then I found it online for $86. Returned the $141 book and pocketed the difference.

So where do you sell them? I'm looking for someplace that will give me the most for what I've got. So far, I've found Chegg.com. Which, as an example, is offering me $58.01 for my $86 book. Anybody know of any other good sites before I ship this thing off? I'd be happy scoring an extra $10-15 if I could. :):highfive:

eldorado99
12-07-09, 03:58 AM
I'm lazy, if I can't sell them on campus or back to the bookstore at a reasonable price then I just keep them.

Aron9000
12-07-09, 04:50 AM
I'm lazy, if I can't sell them on campus or back to the bookstore at a reasonable price then I just keep them.

I was the same way in college. IMO text books are just a con game for students. The books are written by professors, sold to students. In most fields of study(math, chemistry, history, anthropology, geology, etc) the knowelge base has been the same for the past 50 to 100 years. Professors just keep putting out new editions of a book every 2-4 years to keep selling new books. The same damn information is the same as in older books, the chapters are just rearranged and the math problems are different.

Jesda
12-07-09, 06:20 AM
I was the same way in college. IMO text books are just a con game for students. The books are written by professors, sold to students. In most fields of study(math, chemistry, history, anthropology, geology, etc) the knowelge base has been the same for the past 50 to 100 years. Professors just keep putting out new editions of a book every 2-4 years to keep selling new books. The same damn information is the same as in older books, the chapters are just rearranged and the math problems are different.

Sshh. You're going to put me out of business.

Sites to try:
Amazon
Half
Ebay
Valorebooks
TextbookX
Textbooksrus
eCampus
Alibris
Biblio

gary88
12-07-09, 10:00 AM
I just sell mine to the campus bookstore. If they offer too low of a price (which is usually the case), then I list them on Amazon.

billc83
12-07-09, 10:00 AM
...Text books are just a con game for students. The books are written by professors, sold to students. In most fields of study(math, chemistry, history, anthropology, geology, etc) the knowelge base has been the same for the past 50 to 100 years. Professors just keep putting out new editions of a book every 2-4 years to keep selling new books. The same damn information is the same as in older books, the chapters are just rearranged and the math problems are different.

I had a mathematics professor say the exact same thing in college. It was the first quarter using a new edition book, so the old book that I had kept was useless.

Especially math. Math simply does not change. 2 + 2 = 4, always.

EcSTSatic
12-07-09, 10:27 AM
I kept the ones in my majors (anyone need an assembly language text?) and sold the rest to the campus bookstore. They rip you off but what else are you going to do? The text choices each year are as fixed by the schools as the gas prices are! :mad2:

Stingroo
12-07-09, 12:16 PM
Thanks Jesda. I tried Amazon, but they're only interested in one of my books, and chegg so far has offered me a better price. I went to the bookstore today to check it, but it isn't on the buyback list yet... I also watched a girl who was an International Business major find out that she paid $220 new for a book, and because a new edition is coming out in January, they won't buy it. She almost cried. I felt kinda bad.

Stingroo
12-07-09, 12:43 PM
Textbooksrus.com seem to be giving me the best price. $74 back in my pocket. At least it gets me Forza 3!

lol

JimHare
12-07-09, 01:05 PM
In most fields of study(math, chemistry, history, anthropology, geology, etc) the knowelge base has been the same for the past 50 to 100 years.

I'm not so sure I'd be able to agree about your examples. Pick up a chemistry book from 1909 and compare it to a modern edition - or geology from 1909.

While I understand your frustration at buying textbooks at high prices, remember that the information in them SHOULD be fairly up to date versus even a 20 year old edition. I don't think it's accurate to say the knowledgebase hasn't changed in 50 years, for many of the sciences at the very least. If you've gotten through college and you still think that statement you made is accurate, then there's something missing in your education.

kckranz
12-07-09, 01:24 PM
I always treated textbooks as consumables. As another poster suggested, keep the ones from your field of study, sell the others and be happy to get anything.

EcSTSatic
12-07-09, 01:27 PM
Heck, even history is being rewritten !

Stingroo
12-07-09, 02:35 PM
Eh, that's a fair point. I've got about $75.

So yeah. Forza 3 here I come, I suppose. lol

Or, more responsibly, a small payment on my credit card (which would honestly just later be used to buy Forza 3. LOL)

V-Eight
12-07-09, 02:41 PM
I'll likely just keep them

Aron9000
12-07-09, 05:44 PM
I'm not so sure I'd be able to agree about your examples. Pick up a chemistry book from 1909 and compare it to a modern edition - or geology from 1909.

While I understand your frustration at buying textbooks at high prices, remember that the information in them SHOULD be fairly up to date versus even a 20 year old edition. I don't think it's accurate to say the knowledgebase hasn't changed in 50 years, for many of the sciences at the very least. If you've gotten through college and you still think that statement you made is accurate, then there's something missing in your education.

Give me a break, I was a little tipsy when I posted that. I agree with you that the knowelge base has changed in the past 50 years in most fields except undergradute level math/calculus. Nothing has changed in lower level freshman chemistry class in the past 20-30 years either. Still no reason for new editions of those types of books to be published except for when the binding falls apart.

orconn
12-07-09, 06:10 PM
Having had an uncle who was a professor and the author (along with a lot of underpaid, graduate student slaves) of what for much of the latter half of the 20th century was the biggest selling text of its' time (made him a millionare several times over). I have to say that the annual and other periodic updates of textbooks to make the previous edition "obsolete" is a racket to ensure senior faculty can afford their Mercedes! I remember on more than one ocassion having to buy a $45. book (equivalent to at least a $150. book today) only to be assigned a chapter that must be read from the book. When you hear these same faculty going on about the evil conservatives and their lack of concern for their fellow man, one only need to think of the text book scam to understand the lack of intellectual integrity to be found on our campuses!

Stingroo
12-08-09, 12:31 PM
Thanks Jesda. I went with TextbooksRus and got $58 for my book instead of $32 from the bookstore. Win.

That book = Forza 3. The others = profit.

And my stupid microsoft office book that nobody was buying (except one site for $6) trades at the bookstore for $43. I got it for free. Epic win.

Stingroo
12-06-10, 02:47 PM
It's that time of year again.... and god damn, I got more hosed than last year. Pisses me off.

drewsdeville
12-06-10, 04:13 PM
Never saw this thread.

I don't even bother selling my book when I'm done. Like Roo just stated, you get nothing in return. The book ends up being more valuable to me than the little bit of money I'd get for them.

I've kept every single book through my college career. The only time I got "ahead" on books is when I completed GER courses without buying the books (which isn't worth the hassle).

Stingroo
12-06-10, 04:22 PM
Well I'm selling my biology textbook, it's worthless to me as an English major, and I can get ~$30 for it. That's gas, or a new lego set, or some interior odds and ends from the junkyard. Worth it to me.

gary88
12-06-10, 04:36 PM
I got about half back of what I paid for my books this quarter, great success. Last quarter I bought a $180 marketing book and when I went to sell it back they said "oh we don't buy back this version anymore" :rage:

Stingroo
12-06-10, 04:37 PM
That just happened to me with a $140 math book. Bullshit.