: Right knee on center console

Country
12-06-09, 10:39 PM
When I settle in for a long drive (not tooling around the city), the outside of my right knee ends up resting uncomfortably on the center console. It's not a problem when I'm shifting; just when I am (for example) on the expressway traveling at a constant speed.
I never had this discomfort with any other car. Anyone else notice this? (BTW, it's still the greatest car I've ever owned.)

Baxman
12-07-09, 12:12 AM
My first trip in my new V was 20 hours straight through. I promised myself on that trip that I would pad the console where the side of my knee contacted it. I considered sacrificing a mouse pad, cut to size and affixed with rubber cement on both surfaces (removable, without leaving a trace). Since then, my longest trip has been an hour or two, so it hasn't bothered me.

SlvrBullIT
12-07-09, 12:19 AM
Yes and apparently when I do this I suffiently put enough force to make the dang center console creak too!!!! Although not uncomfortable for me, I do hate the creaking.

AZstar
12-07-09, 08:01 AM
I do rest my knee there, but I don't find it uncomfortable.

marktanner
12-07-09, 08:46 AM
See if you can move the seat one to two inches farther back, then readjust the steering wheel accordingly. This helps straighten the legs, taking pressure off of the console. It also tends to place the shifter in a more natural position. Make sure you still have enough leverage on the brake and clutch pedals. Cadillac seems to have set up the proper driving position to be a little farther back than in most cars, but when I figured that out, everything seemed more comfortable, and the reach to the dash controls is still not excessive. It helps with thigh support on the standard seats, too.

Z06ified
12-07-09, 11:13 AM
It's a sacrifice for interior style, the way the center console sweeps up towards the dash, it encroaches into knee/thigh space. It's an issue that has been noted several times in CTS reviews, particularly for taller/larger drivers. I don't have any problem with it because I'm 5'9, 150 lbs. But I noticed when I was at the Bondurant school, the instructor drove a base 2009 CTS, and the instructor was a big dude at 6'4, and his right leg was crammed against the center console. He never complained about it, but it looked very uncomfortable.

jwa999
12-07-09, 11:40 AM
I'm 6"1, 225lbs and the only time my knee hits the center console is in a tight left turn. And it's perfect that way, I can feel what the car is doing. (I do the same thing on the 996tt, rest my right knee against the center stack during left turns, rest my left arm against the door during right turns to feel the car.)

I have recaros, is this an issue with non recaro seats?

Hans.

Vrocks
12-07-09, 04:39 PM
I'm 6'1 (normal length legs) and I haven't had a problem with it (I have the Recaro's, if that makes a difference). I did have this problem in the STS, so I know how annoying it is.

DrumStix
12-07-09, 04:57 PM
I'm 6'5" so I clear it. I just can't see the nav to well. :histeric:

CTSVeee
12-07-09, 08:44 PM
For those that are banging their knees...do you have standard or Recaros? I've got Recaros and I can't even get my knees close to the console.

neuronbob
12-07-09, 09:25 PM
I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds, but my right knee goes nowhere near the center console because of seat position in my regular seats. My knee goes the other way, fitting very close to the steering wheel. It's not uncomfortable at all, but pretty unusual. Part of the reason for this positioning is that I raised the seat due to the lack of thigh support. After nearly nine months in the car, I've got a just about perfect seating position that allows me to tolerate long trips now.

Will be putting this to the test next month when I drive to Detroit for the NAIAS. :woot: Can't wait! (Maybe they'll have a Coupe V there...that alone will make the 2.5 hour drive worth it!)

RapidRob
12-07-09, 09:46 PM
About 6'1"/200lbs in regular seats, driving my v2 since early April, 09, with no problems with my knees, etc. while driving. After considerable tinkering with seat adjustments for a couple of weeks after taking delivery, I settled on, and set, the near perfect seat position for me, and still have no problems.

Rob

thebigjimsho
12-07-09, 11:33 PM
I think you sit further into the Recaros than the stock seats since I seem to have my knee further from the console than with the stockers. But like someone else mentioned, try putting the seat further back.

I rented a CTS about a month ago and put almost 700 miles on it for the single purpose of the right knee issue. It wasn't bad in the stock seats. But when I dropped the seat about 2 inches back and then brought the telescoping wheel back as well, the issue was non-existant.

I did a 1800 mile, 24 hour trip...non-stop the moment I left the dealer. No problems...

Tony407
12-08-09, 12:51 AM
I do rest my knee there, but I don't find it uncomfortable.

Ditto.

Tony

garfin
12-08-09, 09:09 AM
The intrusion of the console on the CTS is virtually a non-issue when compared to the level of discomfort caused by the console in the new Taurus. My leg started to get sore within a minute or so of sitting in the driver's seat in that car. The salesman commented, "You're not the first person to notice this."

Best regards,

Elie

Tony407
12-08-09, 01:26 PM
The intrusion of the console on the CTS is virtually a non-issue when compared to the level of discomfort caused by the console in the new Taurus. My leg started to get sore within a minute or so of sitting in the driver's seat in that car. The salesman commented, "You're not the first person to notice this."

Best regards,

Elie

Did you drive a regular Taurus or the SHO? I've been drooling all over the interior of this car since the photos were first leaked out. But now I've been hearing more than my fair share of negative reviews. Too bad, it looks like it could be a GREAT car!

Tony

garfin
12-08-09, 04:43 PM
Did you drive a regular Taurus or the SHO? I've been drooling all over the interior of this car since the photos were first leaked out. But now I've been hearing more than my fair share of negative reviews. Too bad, it looks like it could be a GREAT car!

Tony

Yeah, it does look good... but I actually did not drive the car - I just sat in it.
First of all, the dealer did not even have an SHO yet (and having owned a '94 SHO for 4 years, it is the only model I would have any kind of interest in). As well, after sitting in it for only a minute or so and being so uncomfortable with that huge intruding console, I had absolutely no interest in taking the standard model out for a spin!
Needless to say, I was surprised and disappointed.
After having driven both manual and automatic V2s with Recaro and the standard seating, I can safely say that the CTS console is barely noticeable to me (6'1" with a 34" inseam). Certainly not an issue as it would be for me in the new Taurus.

Best regards,

Elie