: 1984 Coupe Deville.....are they collectible?

olds55
12-06-09, 09:53 PM
Hello all-

I have a 1984 Coupe Deville that I have had for many years....it was my fathers and I ended up with it when he passed away. It has 33,000 miles on it and was always garage kept. It is a cream color for the paint. It has the 4100 engine and boy does it run smooth! Starts right up and just purrs. It is a nice running/driving car.I have put all new brake/fuel lines on it, new gas tank, and everything is new on the brakes. It was always well maintained. I like the car but I no longer have the room for it.

My question is the '84 Deville I have a car a collector would want since the mileage is so low and the shape the car is in? I want to sell it to a good person but have no idea what to ask for in a price.....ebay does not seem like a good place to find accurate values. I am thinking it is worth the $3500-$4000 range.

Thanks everyone!

My_favorite_Brougham
12-06-09, 10:11 PM
That is a nice car. And it's very clean and original which is a definite plus for a seller's market.

Yours has the vinyl-top delete option that is a bit rarer than the normal quarter vinyl roof. That makes it a bit more collectable. If it only has 33,000 miles on it, it's worth more than 4 grand. I'd ask 7,000 for it. Then take 6.

The Fleetwood Brougham coupe is the more collectable Cadillac from this year, but a nice unique Coupe Deville can still fetch a fair price. And I would say yes, collectors will be interested in this car. There are different levels of collectors. Some don't want cars with over 10k miles, but many people will be peachy with a car like yours.

I'm not sure what you mean by "good person" but beware that there are many lowrider people out there who love the vinyl top delete coupes. They would likely obliterate the car's originality with crazy custom paint and body work.

-Greg

Stingroo
12-06-09, 11:14 PM
Wow! That car is gorgeous. I truly hope that when it is sold that it goes to a good home where it will get all the love and meticulous car it deserves. I would hate to see something that nice get turned into a low rider. It's just too good looking.

77CDV
12-06-09, 11:20 PM
A low mileage car in very good condition from that era can be expected to fetch between 5000 to 7500, depending on options, color combinations, etc. You might consider posting it on the CLC's Buy/Sell forum. I'm sure it would generate some interest there, and club members are not the kind to screw up a gem like that.

Craig

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-06-09, 11:49 PM
My god that thing's gorgeous! The vinyl roof delete option makes it even cooler, and rarer. Sell it on a Cadillac owner's club :D, that way you'll ensure that whomever buys it takes great care of it.

csbuckn
12-07-09, 12:18 AM
From a buyer point of view: Why did you have to replace the lines and tank? Is there rust issues? And this may just be the pics but the gap at the drivers door seems wide. Not trying to be negative but these are questions I would ask. If everything is nice and there are no rust issues, 4K seems like a good starting point and I would expect 3500 for it.

Bro-Ham
12-07-09, 01:39 AM
Yours has the vinyl-top delete option that is a bit rarer than the normal quarter vinyl roof. That makes it a bit more collectable.
I'm not sure what you mean by "good person" but beware that there are many lowrider people out there who love the vinyl top delete coupes. They would likely obliterate the car's originality with crazy custom paint and body work.

-Greg

Greg, What you talkin' about "vinyl top DELETE"?? This is a deVille, the vinyl top was not a "delete," it was an OPTION! Vinyl top was standard on a 1984 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe but not standard on a 1984 Coupe deVille. If you were to have ordered a 1984 Coupe deVille back in 1984 with no options that is how the car would look - no vinyl top. :)

The car is a basic option configuration with standard wheel covers and standard steel roof. I like them like that personally. I grew up with a 77 Sedan deVille with no vinyl top, standard wheel covers, and a cloth bench seat - a classic!

Stingroo
12-07-09, 02:19 AM
Not to mention that the car is Bro-Ham Yellow as well.

Aron9000
12-07-09, 03:43 AM
I'm not real sold on that color. I saw an 89 or 90 Eldorado in that buttercup yellow color with a 1/4 vinyl top with wire wheel covers. It was about the same color as a tub of butter. That car was just hideious in that color, but maybe if I saw it on a big body RWD Caddy it could change my mind.

Bro-Ham
12-07-09, 08:43 AM
There is something about yellow Cadillacs. They should all be shipped to Florida! :)

Imagine a yellow Cadillac in the north country where everything has gone dormant and brown for the winter and it's cloudy and starting to snow. A yellow Cadillac doesn't fit - out of its element - square peg in a round hole - like wearing a hawaiian shirt and flip flops in Minnesota in January.

Now, imagine a yellow Cadillac gliding along an ocean side boulevard lined with palm trees and abundant flowers and greenery with pretty sunlit blue-green water gently splashing ashore as you roll by. There could be nothing more natural and that's the environment a yellow Cadillac is KING - like a personal parade float! Here in Florida all those every day colored gray, blue, black, silver, and other ubiquitous Cadillac colors really don't look all that exciting because every other car drives by in those regular colors. :)

I'm attaching some pictures of my car from a few years ago up north and also down south here in FL to illustrate.

Stingroo
12-07-09, 11:06 AM
It's funny, because you're 110% right. The car looks at least fifty times better in the Florida picture... because it looks more natural.

greencadillacmatt
12-07-09, 12:29 PM
(Said in a fake british accent): And here we have the 1979 Cadillac in it's natural habitat. It has gone south for the winter, and doesn't appear to be coming back!

Bro-Ham
12-07-09, 12:50 PM
I do roll the Caddy cross country twice a year to bring my two beagles back and forth since I joint custody of them with X. Otherwise my yellow banana boat would never leave Florida. :) Matt, you're right, it is in its natural habitat! :) This vinyl topless Coupe deVille on the thread is kind of sexy. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-07-09, 08:24 PM
There is something about yellow Cadillacs. They should all be shipped to Florida! :)

Imagine a yellow Cadillac in the north country where everything has gone dormant and brown for the winter and it's cloudy and starting to snow. A yellow Cadillac doesn't fit - out of its element - square peg in a round hole - like wearing a hawaiian shirt and flip flops in Minnesota in January.

Well, nothing sticks out in a blizzard like a yellow car!

olds55
12-07-09, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies and compliments on my car. I do hope it goes to a good home...whoever buys the car will be happy with it....it runs so nice! The car has no rust issues and we had it undercoated when we got it; for some reason the the lines rusted where the clips held it to the frame. It was more of a safety issue to replace them all.

The yellow cream color is a nice color in my opinion! Great for driving on a nice sunny day. I like the look of the painted steel top....haven't seen too many of those.

brougham
12-08-09, 12:33 AM
Thats a nice looking car and I like the colour. I think your price is good for it maybe a bit more but not much. Like you said it is a base car.

Aron9000
12-08-09, 01:54 AM
I also thought of something else you can put in your ad. 1984 was the last year for the "real" big body, RWD Coupe Deville. In 1985 they went to the small FWD body style.

I think your color, while not my cup of tea, is definetly a big asset. Its a uniquely Cadillac color that you don't see anymore.

1980coupe
12-08-09, 02:50 AM
Hello all-

I have a 1984 Coupe Deville that I have had for many years....it was my fathers and I ended up with it when he passed away. It has 33,000 miles on it and was always garage kept. It is a cream color for the paint. It has the 4100 engine and boy does it run smooth! Starts right up and just purrs. It is a nice running/driving car.I have put all new brake/fuel lines on it, new gas tank, and everything is new on the brakes. It was always well maintained. I like the car but I no longer have the room for it.

My question is the '84 Deville I have a car a collector would want since the mileage is so low and the shape the car is in? I want to sell it to a good person but have no idea what to ask for in a price.....ebay does not seem like a good place to find accurate values. I am thinking it is worth the $3500-$4000 range.

Thanks everyone!

Love the color on it, sort of looks like mine though I think mine is more of a darker yellow; to be exact it's a Colonial Yellow with a matching vinyl top, with Saddle leather interior. What color is the interior on this one? You don't to many Coupe without the vinyl top on them and to find the trim for it to make it look like one of these for those who have a vinyl top is pretty expensive. Hope it does go to a good home, collector who will continue to take care of this beauty.

Bro-Ham
12-08-09, 09:41 AM
Love the color on it, sort of looks like mine though I think mine is more of a darker yellow; to be exact it's a Colonial Yellow with a matching vinyl top, with Saddle leather interior. What color is the interior on this one? You don't to many Coupe without the vinyl top on them and to find the trim for it to make it look like one of these for those who have a vinyl top is pretty expensive. Hope it does go to a good home, collector who will continue to take care of this beauty.

The color of the 84 Coupe is CAMEO IVORY. A classic Cadillac color from the day when Cadillac had such an abundant choice of colors to choose from. You're right that the Colonial Yellow of your car is a richer shade and the Cameo Ivory seems to be a bit more bleached out in comparison.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-09, 06:40 PM
I like that Cameo Ivory, it's a nice neutral beige off white/yellow shade. Nothing too sensational or "look at me!!".

olds55
12-19-09, 12:00 PM
Well I posted it in the classifieds here on the site under the Deville section and also locally on Craigslist. Thanks everyone, hope it goes to a good home. Whoever buys it will get a very nice Cadillac.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=6142

Cadillac_Fan
12-19-09, 07:17 PM
Bro-Ham,

I agree with your contention regarding Florida and Cadillacs of particular colors. Whenever I go to Naples, I have just as much fun at the beach as I do Cadillac spotting. Naples is flush with some beautiful vintage Cadillacs. (Granted, there are fewer and fewer every time I go, but it's a delight to spot them.)

On a somewhat related note, I see you hail from Sarasota. The '92 Brougham I purchased has an "Ashton Lakes" sticker on the bumper and "Coast Cadillac" roadside assistance sticker under the hood on the radiator fan shield. The fellow from whom I purchased the car said his father was a snowbird and that it spent winters in Florida.

With that, I'm going to pretend I'm having a grouper sandwich and an ice cold Heineken on the Palm-lined beach as I freeze up here in Indiana!