: pulley decides to whine

stoveguyy
12-06-09, 09:20 PM
96 sts, changed alternator. next day i got a whistle/squeak from belt area. listened to pulleys with stethoscope. tensioner pulley was growling. took it off, seemed a little noisy. put on new pulley. now squeak is much reduced but still there. tensioner pulley still really growls with scope. you would swear it was bad. idler pulley is nice and quiet with scope. no rumble. just purrs along. could the new alt being causing squeak?

Ranger
12-06-09, 09:34 PM
Use a squirt gun or spray bottle and put a little water on the belt right before it contacts the pulley as it turns. That will lube it while not leaving any residue. If it quiets up, then it's the belt.

stoveguyy
12-06-09, 09:48 PM
squirt which pulley? or just wet belt to check it?

Krashed989
12-06-09, 11:45 PM
wet the grooved part of the belt if you can.

Ranger
12-07-09, 12:13 PM
squirt which pulley? or just wet belt to check it?

Squirt the pulley that you suspect. If it is the tensioner, I think it runs on the smooth side of the belt, so get some water on the smooth side just before it contacts the pulley. You simply want to get some water between the pulley and the belt to see if that silences it.

stoveguyy
12-07-09, 02:22 PM
found old belt in garage. not sure where i got it. changed belt and noise is gone. still wonder why new tensioner pulley growls with scope and idler pulley is quiet. not sure if the tensioner spring has anything to do with transmitted sound? i have 3 used tensioner pulleys. they all sound the same. noisy bearings.